Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading this board for three years, I see some people don't recommend fiber.Is fiber actually bad for some constipated people, like slow transit? (See Leanne's post about biofeedback on the main IBS board)

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
For slow transit constipation, fiber generally does not make sense. You are just giving the bowel more material to struggle with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it depends on the kind of fiber. Personally, wheat/bran fiber makes me soooo much worse! I can't have it. Soluble fiber is supposed to help a lot though. I try to eat lots of cooked veggies and fruit. My docter recommended I take Citrucel, which is a soluble fiber supplement.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I think it depends on the kind of fiber.
Probably not, you are just adding more relatively solid material to deal with. Miralax is different because most of what you add is water.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I find from my personal experience and info on EATINGFORIBS web site that the type of fiber does matter. Soluble fiber, oatmeal, potatoes, rice, sourdough bread etc are best for people with dirreha problems. Insoluble fiber, the fiber that the body doesn't breakdown, traditionally know as roughage, lettuce, beans, wheat etc are better for people with constipation problems. Everyone needs a little of both but if I eat too much soluble fiber my constipation is much worse. By the same token, if I eat too much insoluble fiber I get dirreha. I really recommend checking out the eatingforibs web site for the complete info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Flux, (And everyone else as well) What do you recommend eating for severe slow transit (colonic inertia)? Or maybe do you believe our only option is to have our colons removed? I tried eating a lot of just soluble fibre and felt worse but then insoluble fibre makes me worse too. Please help. What CAN I eat? I am trying desperately to keep my colon and avoid a colostomy. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: What do you recommend eating for severe slow transit (colonic inertia)?
Generally, the less fiber the better. Even consider liquid only. And Miralax.
quote:Or maybe do you believe our only option is to have our colons removed?
You should have the problem evaluated thoroughly to determine where the problem is. Colectomy appears to be very helpful if the problem is limited to the colon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you flux. Do you know where I could get info on a liquid only diet? Even though my symptoms are similar to IBS, with pain, bloating, incomplete emptying, and without laxatives or magnesium or whatever, would hardly go at all. And even though the Doctor is quite happy to call my condition IBS...I guess I am on the wrong web site. Do you know a group I could join with like minded folk? My condition is pretty obviously confined to colon only although have not had ALL the tests people talk about. Those things are pretty difficult in these parts where I live with limited medical facilities. Once again, thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.