Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I suffer from IBS-C. I take magnesium to help alleviate the problem and drink a lot of water. Fiber does not help with the C, it only causes it to get worse. By afternoon I begin to feel sick. I get woozzy, nauseated, and have a dull headache. Is there such a thing as drinking too much water?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Hmmm...I sometimes feel sick after drinking too much water. In fact last summer a friend of mine told me off for drinknig water for the sake of it. She said its bad to drink water if your not thirsty.But I don't think you can really drink too much water. I really don't know. I'd be interested to find out.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Hmmm...I sometimes feel sick after drinking too much water. In fact last summer a friend of mine told me off for drinknig water for the sake of it. She said its bad to drink water if your not thirsty.But I don't think you can really drink too much water. I really don't know. I'd be interested to find out.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I don't think I could ever drink to much water, I have a hard time drinking water but I did hear of a guy who did that and would wind up in hospital. Don't know details.Patsy what kind of fiber did you use? . I seem to have good luck with Wheat N Bran cereal, and by adding 100% juice Cranberry juice to my water, also ground flax seed which I sprinkle on my salads etc.. I probably drink an 8 oz. of fruit juice a day. It keeps me from having C but adds to the gas.
By the way did the VSL#3 help alleviate the gas for you? . If I recall you were going to try it. I am about to send off for 40 packets, so just wondering.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I don't think I could ever drink to much water, I have a hard time drinking water but I did hear of a guy who did that and would wind up in hospital. Don't know details.Patsy what kind of fiber did you use? . I seem to have good luck with Wheat N Bran cereal, and by adding 100% juice Cranberry juice to my water, also ground flax seed which I sprinkle on my salads etc.. I probably drink an 8 oz. of fruit juice a day. It keeps me from having C but adds to the gas.
By the way did the VSL#3 help alleviate the gas for you? . If I recall you were going to try it. I am about to send off for 40 packets, so just wondering.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
what you describe is sometimes how I feel when I'm dehydrated - whoozy, etc. I didn't tihnk you could drink too much water really. Well, actually that you could but it's terribly hard to do. I know someone who drinks 3 liters a day and the only side effect seems to be running to the bathroom more often.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
what you describe is sometimes how I feel when I'm dehydrated - whoozy, etc. I didn't tihnk you could drink too much water really. Well, actually that you could but it's terribly hard to do. I know someone who drinks 3 liters a day and the only side effect seems to be running to the bathroom more often.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ok here is the how much is too much water, generally.The first gallon of daily fluid replacement (typically people who need this much are doing heavy exercise or working outside in hot weather) should be water.After your 1st gallon of water you want to start adding electrolyte solution (either something like pedialyte or gatorade or other sports drink).You can overdilute yourself, but it takes a considerable amount of work.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ok here is the how much is too much water, generally.The first gallon of daily fluid replacement (typically people who need this much are doing heavy exercise or working outside in hot weather) should be water.After your 1st gallon of water you want to start adding electrolyte solution (either something like pedialyte or gatorade or other sports drink).You can overdilute yourself, but it takes a considerable amount of work.K.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I cannot drink water or liquids if I have bad nausea. Although it's only happened a few times, I have actually vomited water. I often feel like dry food is easier to digest than water (one of the reasons I prefer not to use drinks like Ensure to gain weight). But when the nausea passes, I can drink as much as usual. In addition, the less solid food I eat, the less thirsty I am, and the more nauseated liquids like water make me feel. More solid food sometimes makes me a little more thirsty.Many factors are involved in water needs. People who have a very low weight (like me) may not need as much. Also to be considered are medications, humidity levels, diet and nutrition, and any special health conditions.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I cannot drink water or liquids if I have bad nausea. Although it's only happened a few times, I have actually vomited water. I often feel like dry food is easier to digest than water (one of the reasons I prefer not to use drinks like Ensure to gain weight). But when the nausea passes, I can drink as much as usual. In addition, the less solid food I eat, the less thirsty I am, and the more nauseated liquids like water make me feel. More solid food sometimes makes me a little more thirsty.Many factors are involved in water needs. People who have a very low weight (like me) may not need as much. Also to be considered are medications, humidity levels, diet and nutrition, and any special health conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.