Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else hate Mondays as much as I do? Every Monday when that blasted alarm clock goes off, I swear I want to cry at having to face another 40 hour work week dealing with IBS. I get so worn out during the work week, because the IBS just drains me of all energy...but Mondays are the absolute pits, the worst. I am sitting at my desk now..totally exhausted with my normal pain and discomfort and wondering how the hell I am going to get through the rest of the week. Does anybody else feel like they just drag themselves through the week? I am so sick of feeling miserable.
------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Rose - I know the feeling very well. I worked full-time, 40+ hours a week, plus a fair commute to and fro. When my IBS started just after gall bladder surgery, I was still working fulltime - it was the absolute pits! Thankfully, it was a temp job that ended after 6 or 7 months. I'm working part-time now and do some stuff out of my home as well. The Caltrate has been working miracles with me but I'm still in that mindset of worrying. It'll take a long time to get over that, if ever. I also am back to my former career in vet medicine so that's been a big help with my stress reduction.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Rose, I'm so sorry that you're feeling so bad. I haven't worked outside of the home, since my little girl first turned one, she will be three in July. I hated working, having to leave my kids, but the IBS wasn't so bad then. It would be very hard for me to try and hold down a job right now. I feel for everyone out there, trying to work outside of the home and deal with this IBS. I especially feel for the single parents dealing with IBS and having to work and take care of kids. I'm fortunate that I do get to stay home. Believe me it's hard financially sometimes, and I feel guilty when we can't afford things, but I just don't see a way out right now.Rose, hang in there gal, I'm saying a special little prayer
runnl8------------------"A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother". (C/D-type)

G

·
Hi RoseI can honestly say that I now what you are feeling. Thankfully I only work every other saturday. I just wanted you to know you arn't alone! (((Hug)))------------------Jodi (IBS-D)Confucious say "Man who stands on toilet high on pot"

G

·
Yes, Rose - I do understand. I am sorry you are feeling so poorly. There are many days when I do make it into the office, only to leave early with armfuls of work with the best intentions to get it done at home but once I get home....well, you know the rest of this story, I'd bet. It is very draining and affects more than just our gut - some days I'm more optimistic than others - but more days than not lately I've been really down. We're here for you Rose!

G

·
Hi RoseSorry that you are so down - Mondays are never good !!!!!I hope that this turns out to be a good week - take care__________________________You can never plan the future by the past." -Edmund BurkeI've developed a new philosophy...I only dread one day at a time. ~Charlie Brown

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Rose-I'm sorry that you are having a bad day. You should be commended for being able to hold down a full time job with IBS, I could never do it. I work part time but when IBS rears its ugly head (which is everyday but for the most part I guess I'm just used to it)even my limited schedule is hard. There are days when I just want to "give up" so to speak, take to my bed and potty and not fight with my body (or my mind) to please behave itself and let me have a life. Fortunately those days arent frequent (I'm more in control emotionally now I guess) but I can relate to how you feel today. I guess with a chronic condition like IBS there are times when you just get fed up with getting up each day only to face the same thing or variation of it. Anyway forgive me for venting in your post. I hope the rest of the week goes better for you. Please feel free to e-mail me anytime
------------------Nancy

·
Registered
318 Posts
RoseI hear ya! But Mondays aren't the problem for me, since on the weekends my bowel finally relaxes enough to actually go. It's Thursdays & Fridays I hate for IBS-C...But, I do want to tell you that thanks to you, my workweeks are SO much more bearable, now that I have several pairs of the Ultimate Fit pants from JCPenny's! I thank you every morning when I get dressed that you shared that find with us! I've had to adjust every day that I've worn them. Have you tried Mike's hypnotherapy tapes? They did wonders for my C, and especially for altering my thinking. (I remember the Monday morning dread too well.)Take care and hope you pop soon!Karen

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for your well wishes and encouragement. I honestly don't know what I would do without this board. Unfortunately today is starting out as bad as yesterday. Thanks also for those who commended me on holding down a full time job, but to be honest if things don't start to improve, I don't know how much longer I can do this. Every day is such a struggle and takes so much out of me. Most days I sit in work, just longing to be home..counting the hours until 5:00 so I can go home. Pardon my english, but it sucks.
Karen, I am so happy you tried and like the JC Penney slacks. They are truly a God-send for me too. I find myself adjusting them throughout the day as the bloat goes up and down.Thanks again.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hate Mondays too. I sleep great all weekend, then comes Sunday night and I can't sleep again. This drains me for Monday morning. I use to have a coffee mug that read: I hate Mondays, except on three day weekends, then I hate Tuesdays! Have a great week everyone!Jo-Anne

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hey Girlfriend,Sorry you're feeling so exhausted. You know, I work a full-time job too and I have days when I have to literally pull myself out of bed. I notice them more when my bowels haven't moved much. Lately C hasn't been too bad (knock on wood). I don't remember if you take any vitamins, but I am trying to take a multivitamin every day and some days when I'm really exhausted, I'll take a B-12 or B-complex and that seems to give me more energy. Our bodies require so much more as we get older. Hope things improve for you.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey there. I could totally relate to you.I had to quit my 5 year job in NYC because I couldn't work with all the noise there anymore or with my stressful job.I am now working in Long Island, but a less stressful job. I still get IBS and with that there are days where I could just stare at my work and nothing makes sense to me because i'm feeling so awful. when ibs hits, i can't concentrate - which is not very good when you have to at work. it sucks. so, yes i am right there with you with days of being extremely tired that every body part aches,. headache, and lack of concentration. i would love a 3 day a week job.hang in there!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Rose,We ought to rename Monday to IBDday. Monday are usually my worst day... except when it is a holiday. With that happening it helps me pinpoint my job as a major contributor to my IBS.So far the benefit of keeping the job out weigh the cons.... but someday!!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Squonk, and Jo-anne, i am the same way on Sundays. It usually starts late Sunday afternoon, that feeling of dread of having to start another work week wondering how I will feel with my stomach, gas, pain etc. If I sleep an hour on Sunday night, I'm lucky, which of course only makes the already hated Monday that much worse, because I am so tired.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Rose,I felt like you do about working even BEFOREI had IBS!!!Tomorrow is my last day here at my accounting job, and wouldn't you know it, I am really crampy today. And I was thinking of your expression, "silent sufferer." Then I read your post!!I know you suffer terribly from C. Is there anyway you can work from home? Have you looked into that at all? I've typed in "telecommuting" into the net and there's quite a bit out there. Tonite get out the tea and hot water bottle!! Hang tough!Am thinking about you and sending you light.love to all. mama-

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks MamaMy particular job cannot be done from home. Also one of the main reasons I work is for the health insurance. My husbands employer doesn't offer any and it is a fortune to buy it on our own, so I am STUCK here. I am seriously thinking of going down to 4 days instead of 5, though. It might help some. Thanks for the good thoughts.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

G

·
RoseI had to take some time off recently to allow my wife to travel to New York for family reasons and I found that I was sooo much worse at home than at work - I seem to get worse when I am not busy !I know thats its probably not the same for you and works hard right now but its making you get out there !I wish you well and hope that your hard time ends very soon - like NOWTake Care "Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses."-Alphonse Karr

G

·
Rose,I definately know how you feel. I work full time in a very stressful job that I also cannot do from home. And I come home from work to a toddler.My IBS is so bad that I never have a day of peace. Other people get some relief from diet but not me. I just started a digestive enzyme.I still have my fingers crossed...The worst thing for me is not the pain-but trying to explain to my 3 year old that mommy has to rest for a minute and can't come outside and play with you right now-all because I am so bloated that I can not stand upright.Thanks for letting me vent. Hope your week improves- and always remember that I am holding a good thought for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.