Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm having a really bad few days. Not really having much D but am constantly in the bathroom. Not to mention the fact that all day long I have this really full pressure feeling in my gut. Hard to even stand up straight because when I do I feel like things inside are ripping apart. Very painful. I am basically at the end of my rope, I feel like I just cant keep going like this, I want all this pain to stop but nothing I do seems to help. Almost seems like when I have a pretty good day without as much pain I let my guard down and try to think positive and say to myself "this will be a good day, I don't have time for pain today and I will ignore my symptoms so I can get things done" Well, low and behold as soon as I think positive I get flareups that are so severe I can't even get comfortable in any position and they last for at least a week. My doctor won't give me any more pain meds because he doesn't want me to be dependant on them. What he doesn't realize is that I already am dependant in the sense that without them I am curled up in a ball on the couch crying and not even able to take care of my two small children! I need help but can't seem to get any other than on this board!! Sorry for rambling but I am sitting here holding my gut with one hand and crying my eyes out while typing with the other. I am in so much pain I can't stand it anymore!!Sandi

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sandi - I know what you mean about as soon as you start thinking positive the other shoe drops. That's been my experience alot lately, and not just with IBS. I hate being negative, but at the moment I can't give you any advice because I'm right there with you!

G

·
Sandi,I don't have pain like you do, but I really do understand your frustration with getting no help and not being able to do anything. I have spent many an hour curled up in bed from just being so tired and dizzy. One Doc suggested I was just depressed, but when you are depressed you don't WANT to do anything. I lay there and think about how much I DO want to do things and just do not have the energy.That must be so hard when you have children. I can't even imagine how hard that must be for you.I am finally getting a new GI Doc, hopefully one who will really try and help me. Is this an option for you?I sure hope you feel better soon, will be thinking of you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sandi,I have had days like you're going through(like the last 3!), and the same thoughts go through my head, too.Do warm baths help you? I say that knowing how hard it is to find time for yourself, because I'm typing this with my 18 month old daughter on my lap! Baths, xanax and painkillers are what helps me through. I'm sorry you're feeling bad...(((HUGS)))

G

·
Sandi; I'm so sorry you're in such pain. I know just how you feel cause I'm just out of a week of pain 24/7. Its horrible when it lasts & lasts because then we start to get scared that it might be "something else" I try to remind myself that this has happened before and not to worry because it will pass. Do you have anyone that can help you with your children, even if just for the afternoon? You should try your Dr. again & tell him you need something to help you get thru your day or maybe get a new Dr. Have you tried calcium or Lotronex yet? Both of these things have helped alot of people on this BB. [[[HUGS]]] for you and take care!!!------------------Deb

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sandi,You need to learn how to talk to yourself positively. The fastest, most efficient way is to use hypnotherapy. If you have a hypnotherapist in your area that knows IBS, it would be helpful. If not, get Mike's hypnotherapy tapes. Hypnotherapy uses relaxation to change the ideas imbedded in your subconscious. Positive self-talk works in the conscious, and is not as effective as hypnosis. Your examples of "thinking positive" are not actually positive. The subconscious does not recognize "not". When you say I will not feel pain, it only hears "feel pain" and responds as usual. Also don't use words like "will" because that indicates "not now, but sometime in the future." The subconscious takes things literally. The subconscious controls the autonomic nervous system, which controls digestion. Learning self-hypnosis, using Mike's tapes, or seeing a hypnotherapist, will do you a lot of good. There are lots of books available that can teach you self-hypnosis, but Mike's tapes are made for IBSers, and done professionally. Join us in IBS/Hypnotherapy chat every Sunday at 7:30 EST.AZ[This message has been edited by AZmom1 (edited 06-16-2000).]

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for all the uplifting messages. I feel better just reading them. Its hard sometimes to realize you are not alone in this. I am so thankful for this BB, I really don't know how I got along for the past 6 years without it!! All you guys are so great, thank you.------------------It can only get better from here I hope!Sandi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.