Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting with soluble fiber this summer ie Benefiber and then oat bran wafers. They make my colon work great but they have created other health problems. I had to stop the Benefiber completely because it caused REALLY bad sinus headaches, the worst of my life. (it seems to speed my colon up too fast and irritates my sinuses) I then tried oat bran wafers. Although milder if I took a whole one several days in a row, that bad headache returned. I also chipped my front tooth last week biting a bag of pocorn open. Granted, I shouldn't have done that as I have soft teeth but this incident combine with sports injuries to arm and knee from golfing (won't go away)are leading me to believe that the fiber is leaching calcium and other minerals out of my system. Brother! I certainly can't afford to lose teeth and bone and have weak connective tissue. ( I have soft teeth) And I was not taking very much of these supplements!!######!!I may have to target fruit/flax as my bedtime therapy and stay away from supplements although they work like a dream. Maddening!

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
wow, Adelaide--so sorry about all the problems you've been having! and how frustrating to find find something that makes you colon work great only to have it cause other problems!I have read from several different sources that eating fiber-rich foods can inhibit calcium absorption so I always try to take my calcium supplements or eat my calcium rich foods at least two hours before or after I eat my bran cereal or other fiber-y foods. i think I've read that fiber may interfere with the absorption of other minerals too. it really gets tricky, timing all this stuff so you absorb the proper nutrients.hope you feel better soon!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I have read also where you can get to much fiber and it can irritate the colon and/or cause problems with absortion of minerals. I have an overly sensitive system and have some really strange things that go on sometimes from taking supplements. I have ot be really careful and can only take a select few. Yah, its frustrating. Will go back more to fods for colon management.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI Redfox, no I have never seen a gastroenterologist. I've never been able to get my GP to even consider my constipation as much of an issue so I have been left to manage things on my own. I just have to use trial and error, I'm not sure a gastro would even know how to relate to my system sensitivity. I had a DX of chronic fatigue syndrome in the past which I have since recovered from but it left me with some weird immune system idiosyncracies such as I described above. The sensitivities cause me discomfort at times and really get in the way of using supplements to aid and abet problems. So I liked using fiber but I just have to be careful and maybe not use it everyday because it pushes my system too hard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.