Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(graphic discussion, gross alert)

Hello guys, I started to have IBS-D symptoms in 2012, and now in 2019, I don't want to say that I am completely "cured", but I am 90% better. I just want to share my story here.

Growing up I've always had stomach problems. Although not very severe, it's indeed annoying. I started to have an increasing amount of loose stools in my middle school, probably like 2 or 3 times a week, but nothing really bad, but it's there. It's an on and off thing for me, quite annoying and it did affect my daily life. I think regular exercises helped a lot with my digestive system because I played a lot of basketball in my high school, and I had less discomfort in my guts back in those days. However, I knew I had problems because I rarely had "golden banana". I tried to not think about it but it's there. Toilet time was never pleasant for me.

For your information, I came from China and I came to the US in 2011. I started to have milk after I got to the US, and that was where the nightmare began. (or at least I think so). Two or three weeks after I had milk almost everyday, I started to have very bad diarrhea EVERY MORNING, and I started to hear a lot of noises and gas in my stomach. Oh man, those days were painful. I stopped having milk immediately but it didn't stop. I went to the doctor and they told me to get a colonoscopy, so I did it. The doctor told me there were no bacteria nor virus in my guts, I was fine so it might just be IBS. That's the first time I hear this word. IBS. He prescribed some medicines for me, I took them, I felt better for a day or two, then all the symptoms came back.

It followed me to my college and it affected my daily life so badly that I couldn't get out of the house in the morning. I had to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times in the morning and I still didn't feel like I could go out. In my sophomore year I had to avoid all the morning classes and only go to those afternoon classes, but I still couldn't make it sometimes. I ended dropping a lot of classes because of my bad attendance. I was so frustrated and sad, I felt hopeless and I hated myself. Why couldn't I be a normal person like everybody else? I was in depression and I even think about suiciding. I had no one to talk to and seems nobody's having the same issue. I was afraid to tell anyone because it's very embarrassing to tell others that I have to go to the bathroom constantly. I stayed at home most of the time to play video games, and that was the only way I could be happy, for a brief moment, but once I stopped playing, I became more depressed. Looking out of the window, seeing seasons changed, It broke my heart. I lost control of my life.

I began looking for remedies for my symptoms. I started to take prebiotics and probiotics, avoided vegetables because they made my symptoms worse, tried all kinds of medicine. They were all only effective for a few days or weeks and gradually became useless. It's almost like my sickness to learning to adapt to them.

I found this forum in 2015, and seeing all the posts made me feel like I was not alone. I shared my experience and got some replies. Knowing there are people who actually feel what I feel and understand my pain made me feel better. Thank you for being supportive.

I decided to give Chinese traditional medicine a shot. But it didn't go well. I went to 4 different doctors in different periods in New York and spent over 1000 dollars for those herbal remedies. I can't say that they are total fraud because I did see some improvement in my symptoms. Some stopped my constant diarrhea on the next day, and I was good for a week, but then it came back. Some made me feel more energetic but helped little with my diarrhea. The other one gave me a fever after I drank his herbal thing for 3 days. :/. The price was also very different, the first one I went to charged me 20 something for one day's supplies and every week I had to spend 140+. The second one I went to charged me 7 dollars for each day's supplies. Overall, I really don't think they helped much.

At the end of 2017, I went back to China for the Chinese new year. The travel not only didn't make my symptoms worse, on the contrary, it actually made my symptoms better. I felt better in my hometown. But I was still having loose stool. I went to another Chinese traditional medicine doctor in China, I told him everything and he prescribed me some herbal remedies. 7 day's supplies, 800+ RMB, which is like 100+ USD. Drank them, gave me a sore throat. Didn't help at all.

Visited another very close friend right before the Chinese new year, told him my struggle. He told me there's a very good Chinese traditional doctor in a local pharmacy across the street on the other side of our high school, people call him Chen Sir. (Yes we went to the same high school together in China). He's like: "my mom has been going to him for little things for years, and he's fucking awesome! He knows your body's sick before you know it!" I was skeptical and thought that was shady as fuck. However, desperate as I was, I decided to give him a shot since I was in China already. I've tried so many things and I was willing to try anything, worst case scenario, I will just lose another a few hundred bucks.

I searched the pharmacy's number and called them, asked the lady if there's a guy called Chen Sir, the lady said she doesn't know. I told him my friend told me he's there, she said why don't you ask your friend. I was like why do you have to be rude? Aren't you guys supposed to be working together? Anyway, I called my friend again for Chen Sir's number, and I called Chen Sir, told him my friend referred me, Chen Sir said he was there at the exact pharmacy I just called, (WTFFFF????)and he would be there almost every day before 6 pm, just called him before visiting. I told him I would visit him right now and it might be a little past 6 pm when I get there since it takes me about 45 mins to be there, (it's in another town), can you wait. He's like if you are coming then yes I will wait for you.

So I went to that pharmacy and not surprisingly didn't get any greetings from the unfriendly ladies, I asked for Chen Sir and one of them casually pointed her finger to the back of the store. (WTF?) I went in and saw Chen Sir: a very slim, tall guy(around 6 feet 2 ? tall guy compare to other Chinese men in general) who looks like he's in his 50s,(my friend told me he's probably in his late 70s ) he's laying back at his chair watching TV.

"Chen Sir??" I asked him. He turned around immediately and said "Yes! You are here! Have a seat!" I was going to tell him my story, how I've always had stomach problems and how I went to US and everything got worse, and how I am having diarrhea every day every morning for a few years. I have a lot of pain to share. He didn't seem to be interested in my stories, he said:" yes, ok, give me your hand." Then felt my pulse with his fingers. "emm..stick out your tongue, show me." So I did. Two minutes after, he asked: " So loose stools, no appetite, fatigue?" "Yes.." "Is there mucus in your stools?" "Yes.." "Okay. I got it. You don't have a big problem, it's easy, just a few remedies will help. I will fix it for you. I will give a three days supplies and after that come back and tell me how's it" And he then started writing a prescription. I was like, ok.... but you didn't hear my story..ummm. I guess... I had to pay him 50 RMB (7 dollars) for the visit, and I took the prescription to the unfriendly lady at the front counter. She took out a calculator and started punching very hard. I was prepared to get ripped off. After a minute or so, she said: 45. I said what? She said: 45.(6 dollars) Ok sure, I paid and went home.

When I got home, I boiled those herbals as instructed. The herbal soup's taste wasn't very bad compared to those I had in NY. After drinking it, my lower stomach felt warm. On the next day, I had really dark and sticky loose stools. And they smelled like the herbal soup..(sorry for the gross description) I had the second supply on the next day, and I felt warm at my lower stomach again after drinking the soup, and it actually felt good. I had dark, but not so dark sticky stool again the next day. And I farted a lot that day. I finished the third supply and I had sticky but SOLID stool the day after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know when's the last time I had solid stool! I was so happy I called Chen Sir again and visited him again. Same drill, felt my pulse, looked at my tongue. "Did you feel better?" I couldn't wait to tell him about my solid stool but I didn't think he would be interested. So I replied: Yes! A lot better! He said:" Yea, I told you it's not hard. I will give you another 3 days supplies and you can come back again." I told him I might not be able to because it's the new year and I had to visit my family. He told case, in that case, he will change the description a little and give me 5 days supplies. After that, I come back after the new year. So I gave him 50 RMB(7 dollars ) again, and paid for those 5 days (80 something RMB, 13 dollars)

I actually did not drink those soup everyday as he instructed, nor did I go back after the supplies. I finished those in 10 days or so, and didn't drink them continuously because we were traveling to different cities for the new year. But man, they worked! I think I had 1 flamed up since I had his remedy and most of the noises from my guts are gone! I felt lighter and I was not afriad to go outdoors. I didn't need to go to the bathroom so many times in the morning anymore.

After the Chinese new year, before I left for the US again, I visited him again. I told him I felt a lot better and thanked him for the help. He said I told you it's not hard. And I don't have big problems. He said he will give me another 3 days and after that If I am feeling better, I don't need to visit him anymore. Just come back maybe once in a few months to do a check-up would be fine. I told him I can't because I am going abroad. I didn't tell him I am living in the US until then. He's a bit surprised but was like uhh, ok. I see. It's fine. You should be ok, don't worry.

So I went home and finished all those, and came back to the US. That was March 2018. Since then I didn't have the morning sickness I used to have. I could go out more often without worries, and I think I only had one diarrhea because of food poisoning in the whole year. I am not taking any prebiotics probiotics immodiums chinese medicine at the moment and I am feeling awesome everyday. Although I am stilling having two or three stools everyday, it's by choice and I am not feeling any discomfort. And my stools are generally more in shape and less sticky, watery now. I feel like I am in control of my life again and I am pursuing my master degree now.

Everything I said above is true, all based on my personal experience. Thought of this website this morning, just want to share with you guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, it must be amazing to feel better. I'm very happy for you
smile.png
!!!!!

I can totally relate to your story. When I was doing my undergrad, I used to strave myself just so that I would not get sick and miss class. Later on after eating I would end up getting sick anyways but at least I was home by then. I loss a lot of weight and went to the bathroom everyday for six months about 8 times and each time I was in there for about 45 minutes to an hour. I have been battling with this condition since 1999. I also get very depressed and frustrated as I don't know what to do. I have tried different medications but the side effects at times are worst than the condition. It all started at the age of 20 and I will be 41 in a matter of two months. I have two daughters and they have seen me passed out in the bathroom because the pain is so bad that I completely loose control of my body. I wish we could all find a cure for all of these GI issues. Your story has really inspired me because I might also be able to find something that can help me. Please keep posting if you find new remedies. Is good to know that I am not alone in this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I am just so glad that it worked. Now I am very cautious in what I eat. I don't think I can handle raw food and cold food lol

Good Luck!

Wow, it must be amazing to feel better. I'm very happy for you
smile.png
!!!!!

I can totally relate to your story. When I was doing my undergrad, I used to strave myself just so that I would not get sick and miss class. Later on after eating I would end up getting sick anyways but at least I was home by then. I loss a lot of weight and went to the bathroom everyday for six months about 8 times and each time I was in there for about 45 minutes to an hour. I have been battling with this condition since 1999. I also get very depressed and frustrated as I don't know what to do. I have tried different medications but the side effects at times are worst than the condition. It all started at the age of 20 and I will be 41 in a matter of two months. I have two daughters and they have seen me passed out in the bathroom because the pain is so bad that I completely loose control of my body. I wish we could all find a cure for all of these GI issues. Your story has really inspired me because I might also be able to find something that can help me. Please keep posting if you find new remedies. Is good to know that I am not alone in this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I was watching some movies and someone said "simple" in the movie and that reminded me of this website. So I just want to come back and check it out.
It's been 3 years since I posted this thread. I have done a lot in my past couple of years. I have become a software engineer working for a major tech company. And I have started enjoying my life. The really bad morning diarrhea which haunted me for all my college years never came back after I had the treatment mentioned in this post. I think I can claim again that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) cured my IBS. I am just commenting here again so that maybe someone will see this, and it might help them.

The issue that I had was 脾虚。 Which directly translated to Weak Spleen. In TCM, the spleen is the organ that regulates the liquid in your body, if it's weak or if it's malfunctioning, you are gonna have less urination, loose stool, bad appetite, foggy head and more... (just a bunch of bad things that foster each other if you let it get worsen)

I have personally visited about 5 TCM "doctors" when I was in New York, and I have spent probably 700+ USD on their prescribed herbal treatment. THEY BARELY WORKED/ NONE OF THEM WORKED. This shows that every TCM doctor is different. Some of them are good, but they might have misjudged your condition. Some of them are just snakeoil doctors trying to scam you. And some are fxxking gods!!

As I have posted above, my IBS-D was cured by this TCM doctor in China when I was traveling. The total expense was less than 100USD. ( Yes the haunting illness that followed me for almost 5 years, that ruined my entire college life was cured for less than a hundred bucks)..

I strongly recommend you to visit your local TCM doctors and give them a chance if there are any around. But don't pay more than 200 USD for each visit. They might try to scam you. But if it did work, it's all worth it, you will have your life back.

If there aren't any, I would suggest you to try this: LANZHOU GUFANG Ginseng & Yam Combo Extract (Dietary Herbal Supplement) 200 Pills - Tak Shing Hong. I think this one has very similar ingredients to the prescription that cured me.

I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I was watching some movies and someone said "simple" in the movie and that reminded me of this website. So I just want to come back and check it out.
It's been 3 years since I posted this thread. I have done a lot in my past couple of years. I have become a software engineer working for a major tech company. And I have started enjoying my life. The really bad morning diarrhea which haunted me for all my college years never came back after I had the treatment mentioned in this post. I think I can claim again that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) cured my IBS. I am just commenting here again so that maybe someone will see this, and it might help them.

The issue that I had was 脾虚。 Which directly translated to Weak Spleen. In TCM, the spleen is the organ that regulates the liquid in your body, if it's weak or if it's malfunctioning, you are gonna have less urination, loose stool, bad appetite, foggy head and more... (just a bunch of bad things that foster each other if you let it get worsen)

I have personally visited about 5 TCM "doctors" when I was in New York, and I have spent probably 700+ USD on their prescribed herbal treatment. THEY BARELY WORKED/ NONE OF THEM WORKED. This shows that every TCM doctor is different. Some of them are good, but they might have misjudged your condition. Some of them are just snakeoil doctors trying to scam you. And some are fxxking gods!!

As I have posted above, my IBS-D was cured by this TCM doctor in China when I was traveling. The total expense was less than 100USD. ( Yes the haunting illness that followed me for almost 5 years, that ruined my entire college life was cured for less than a hundred bucks)..

I strongly recommend you to visit your local TCM doctors and give them a chance if there are any around. But don't pay more than 200 USD for each visit. They might try to scam you. But if it did work, it's all worth it, you will have your life back.

If there aren't any, I would suggest you to try this: LANZHOU GUFANG Ginseng & Yam Combo Extract (Dietary Herbal Supplement) 200 Pills - Tak Shing Hong. I think this one has very similar ingredients to the prescription that cured me.

I wish you all the best.
There is no known cure for IBS as the cause(s) of IBS are still unknown. Until the cause(s) are known there cannot be a cure. CAUTION with anyone making such a claim as the best and most knowledgeable doctors in the world are unaware of a cure. There are known management methods

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no known cure for IBS as the cause(s) of IBS are still unknown. Until the cause(s) are known there cannot be a cure. CAUTION with anyone making such a claim as the best and most knowledgeable doctors in the world are unaware of a cure. There are known management methods
The OP was just sharing a success story. Obviously traditional Chinese medicine works, it has cured thousands of people whose stories are just like this one, even people who the so-called medical experts of our time can't figure out. In addition those herbal remedies are probably a lot safer since they are food and plant based rather than lab altered chemicals.

This story gives me hope!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ok, I am skeptical of this original story. He does not write and sound like someone who went to school outside the US. Also, what's up with all the fuck? No words other than vulgarity? So, no, I think he's scamming you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts