Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was just listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about women and the how often they have BM's. LOL Don't ask me why... anyway, they were talking with a doctor that called in about "training your bowel". Basically what they say is that if you go and sit on the toilet everyday at the same time and try (NOT strain, just try) eventually you will train your bowel to go at that time of day. Has anyone heard of this??? Apparenlty they do it in nursing homes with older people to try to re-train the body to control bowel movements. Obviously this wouldn't necessarily work for IBS-D victims like myself, but if you have managed to cut down the D with Calcium or something, maybe it could give you a regular pattern, which would certainly help if you are trying to work like myself.... Just wondering if anyone has every heard about this....Sara

·
Registered
225 Posts
Don't I wish! I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. I envy my husband, who is just as regular as all get out. Every morning, right before we leave for work, he runs to the bathroom, does what he needs to do and is out in 5 minutes. If only I could be so lucky.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I guess it's a possibility. Diarrhea hasn't been a problem (much) while out and about anymore as my do helped me to learn to go the loo on needing to, then standing there for a few moments before letting myself go. It taught me that Yep, I CAN hold it! I fin if I get those cramps like I'm going to have a bout, if I don't freak out, sometimes they even go away.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I usually go pretty soon after I wake up in the morning - maybe I am trained? But there are the times when you've got to go again, and again or the sudden surprises. The a.m. is my usual time. I'd like to train myself to hold it in more though. That sounds tough.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's called habit training. I use this method in toilet training the severely disabled (mentally retarded) children I teach. I put them on the toilet at the same times each day and I usually time it after keeping track of when they have bowel movements on their own. They are diapered.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Maybe if you eat at the same times and close to the same amounts everyday, like in nursing homes. Otherwise it seems to depend on food. I mean for non IBS people. I really doubt it would work for IBS-C or D. I did this unintentinally in high school (I was regular). But I think it was just a "chronic" coincidence, as it was different on non-school days. Didn't eat breakfast, ate lunch at the same time everyday, BM after school, dinner at roughly the same time. Slacker

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi all. I tried this oer the week and it's working...(placebo effect I guess), it's all in re-training the old mindsets! Hope it's more permanent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts