Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think im going to ask my doctor about Tramadol and hope that he lets me try it and then hope and pray it even works.I know someone here posted about it but I wonder if its a common drug for IBSers (I dont even know what I am anymore.).The way oxycontin made me feel I think it had something to do with the opiates. But thats a hefty drug to try and take daily. Tramadol is supposed to kind of be an opiate but very mild and hardly addicting.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't think it's really common in the states, but it goes here as Ultram.There is a lot of hype behind it, but I don't know how much of it is believable. It is supposed to be non addictive and is not supposed to affect bowel motility.the info on addiction is not conclusive, and from what I've seen, the chances may be lower but it still seems to have habit forming potential.The bowel motility stuff is interesting. I believe they've done some preliminary tests that looked positive, but have not completed the more thorough long term studies on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it also goes under the Ultram. I had it for cramps. The Dr prescibed it mostly because it will not cause constipation like the narcs do. It did work but I needed stronger. I have never been on Oxy...had a friend addicted to it so I stay away from it. As with any med there can be an addiction. But if you are in pain and using as prescribed..you need them.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think of note here is that oxycontin is the same active ingredient as in most of the other pain killers discussed, like percocet, roxicet and quite a few others.It is just a higher dose in a time release package.It is also just oxycodone, where most of the other meds are mixed with another med like acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen. These meds increase the effectiveness of the med while keeping a lower amount of the more addictive oxycodone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.