Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, im going to be having the transit study done at the end of Dec. could someone tell me what the treatment is if the markers dont come out?? My Dr. didnt really want to elaborate on it until he knew for sure.. But I would really like a heads up here. Flux, I thought at one time you had talked about this in the past? Thanks everyone, stay warm!!!! J

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Sometimes they try Zelnorm to speed things up. There may be other prokinetic drugs.Mostly if you have slow transit beyond a certain slowness they do the low fiber diet (so you don't fill up) with Miralax to keep it soft enought to move if and when your colon does do something. Depending on how slow you are, some moderately slow transit people actually can use fiber to keep the stool soft and moving along, it all depends on how slow the slow is. Are you in the 2X a week without intervention slow (just under the normal range) or down to the 2X a month stage.Some extreme cases they have removed a section of the colon so there just is not so much of it for the stool to move through. Surgery however can have complications so they usually only do that if they have to. This isn't a surgery with a bag, just a resection so the length of the colon is reduced.K.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:Some extreme cases they have removed a section of the colon
Generally, the whole colon is removed. It's probably being done more frequently than I think that expression implies, too.
quote:There may be other prokinetic drugs.
However, there are other drugs beside Zelnorm presently available. They include erythromycin, colchicine and misoprostol.There is also Renzapride, which is still in the pipeline AFAIK.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both of you for your response. If a person should have to have their whole colon removed, does that create a whole new set of problems with the upper digestive tract? reflux etc?? thanks!

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Usually removing the colon shouldn't cause any sort of making you back up into the upper GI worse than you have now as stuff should now be able to move out of the body easier.I know one person here who had this had a lot of post-operative pain issues. Anything like that can cause scarring inside and sometimes that can be problematic in that regard.K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.