Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that about 2-3 hours after I wake up(And usually after my 1st meal) that I get some gas that starts building up. This gas generally builds for about 5 hours or so(Which causes most of my stomach pains) and then I will eventually start passing some gas. Then I feel better for awhile and the cycle happens one more time before bed. I have normal bowel movements, every single morning. Have not missed a day in 6 months I bet.So how is it that, A. I get gas buildup but no constipation, and B. Why does it all build and then all release in a large bundle, instead of small passes throughout the day?Any input is appreciated, I havent been able to find much info about this online.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A) IBSers sometimes don't move things around very well, and even if you can move the stool efficiently you may not be moving the gas that well.B) I don't think evenly spaced farts is the norm. People tend to fart during the times when the colon is more active as that is when it tends to get moved to the end. So after meals is a common time for gas to get to the end. The colon isn't like a conveyor belt that moves everything at the same rate all the time. It has times it is more active and times it is less active. It is supposed to be that way. That is not an IBS symptom, it is you are a living human being symptom.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Kathleen. I guess thats a good way of looking at it.(The conveyor belt description) You would assume that everything should move in line, as it goes in and is created,etc.I find it incredibly odd how much sleeping can benefit gas issues. Sleep at night or even a nap in the daytime and the gas gets expelled and the body feels refreshed. I assume that is do to position and or the body being relaxed?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My issue here seems to be very odd. Yesterday I could not pass gas at all, but felt it there. Had 2 normal bowel movements, but little to no gas. Even went to bed feeling the gas in there. Woke up around 6am and was passing gas like crazy(And assumed I was doing it through the night as I slept, because I got up around 4am to use the restroom and I felt completely fine)Why is it that the gas is trapped ALL day but passes with great ease at night? At 6am every morning I feel 100%. Not a single symptom. As the day progresses it gets worse.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Maybe you relax enough to pass the gas when you are asleep??? Just a thought... Maybe you would benefit from using an antispasmodic?? Talk to your Dr about it maybe.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to cut wheat and gluten out until my Celiac test comes back. Also taking beano before meals and a probiotic daily. This has completely rid me of the horrible gas buildup I was having.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.