Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help. I've had IBS for the last year or so and experienced most symptoms but over the last couple of months I had terrible trapped wind,acid intergestion,heart beat irregular,pain in my chest through to my back. Its much worst when I wake in the morning and I have had terrible trouble eating as my body just doesn't seem to want to digest the food I'm giving it.I eat sensibly but can anyone advise me what to try for relief from 7 hours a day of burping[its like an apple is stuck in my chest]Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sometimes a healthy diet full of wholegrains and fresh fruit and vegetables can exacerbate a tendency towards gasiness. I sometimes find even a salad "repeats" on me for hours! And forget peppers or onions! You may need to cut down on the "good stuff" and experiment a little. Perhaps try a food diary and pinpoint the foods you need to stay away from. I've also heard of Beano which contains enzymes that help digest gassy foods. Perhaps you could give that a try. Hope you find some relief! It's no fun when eating is no longer a pleasure and causes nasty symptoms afterwards. Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lesley.Thought I must say I love salad and peppers and onions.Whats this Beano then?-my son reads the comic[but prefers Dandy]-is it something I could pick up at health food shop and is that a brand name?I have thought about the diary thing but apart from the obvious i wouldn't know what to leave out-I suppose its trial and error.But after being admitted to hospital at the weekend for irregular heartbeat ,I am starting to get really fed up with the whole thing.The heart seems fine and they can't explain it-can it be the ibs?-Maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and the trapped wind is up top not from the lower regions-I breaking wind like all the time,I just wish I could do a giant burp every once in a while for relieve.sorry to be so course

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:terrible trapped wind
This doesn't necessary mean gas is your problem. You should have a stomach x-ray done standing to determine just how much gas there is there.It sounds as if your problem is GERD or related to GERD. This means that your stomach is digesting the bottom part of your esophagus and should have it evaluated..including the above and possibly pH monitoring.
quote:And forget peppers or onions!
I don't think this would make much difference.
quote:Beano which contains enzymes that help digest
Beano is known not to work.

·
Registered
258 Posts
bowman,Beano does work...at least for me. It may not help with the farting problem, as it is more for the belching type of gas. I usually chew 2 tablets along with a digestive enzyme before eating something gas inducing, like a salad. You can find Beano at drug stores and places like Wal-Mart (no I do not have any financial ties with the Beano company). Lisa,Hello! I hope you are well!

·
Registered
296 Posts
BowmanThe symptoms you describe can indeed be more of a gastric reflux sort of thing. This can be determined with scans while swallowing a barium fluid. Not difficult or scary. I've been diagnosed with this and am MUCH imporoved after 6 weeks of taking previcid and/or Nexium. Actually the Nexium worked best for me. They reduce the acid produced by the stomach. Those in conjunction with another prescription medicine to help the top sphinctor of the stomach close properly are easy solutions. Your GI doctor can evaluate this condition easily and provide medication for you that should alleviate it. Not nearly as difficult to treat as some of the IBS symptoms.Do visit your doctor, and good luck to you!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Beano does work...at least for me. It may not help with the farting problem, as it is more for the belching type of gas.
Even company will tell you it can't help with that. The effect you are seeing is perceptual or just placebo.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hi Bowman,Have you been to a doctor about this? Which tests were performed? If not, you should really have various tests done to rule out GERD, H. Pylori, etc.I suffer with trapped gas, as well. What works for me is a prescription anti-spasmodic drug, such as Bentyl or Librax. These drugs have been around for years and are safe and can be taken on an as-needed basis. They relax the smooth muscle spasms which cause the gas to be trapped. Within an hour of popping a pill, I am able to fart and/or burp and the pain ceases.Keep us posted on how you're doing. Welcome to the BB.Stacey

·
Registered
258 Posts
quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Beano does work...at least for me. It may not help with the farting problem, as it is more for the belching type of gas.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Even company will tell you it can't help with that. The effect you are seeing is perceptual or just placebo. ***Well, even everyone on the BB thinks you are rude. I don't believe I was talking to you, so mind your own business!***

·
Registered
258 Posts
A little info on gas and OTC medications, like Beano..... http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/gas/gas.htm "Beano, a newer over-the-counter digestive aid, contains the sugar-digesting enzyme that the body lacks to digest the sugar in beans and many vegetables. The enzyme comes in liquid form. Three to 10 drops are added per serving just before eating to break down the gas-producing sugars. Beano has no effect on gas caused by lactose or fiber."

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:"Beano, a newer over-the-counter digestive aid, contains the sugar-digesting enzyme that the body lacks to digest the sugar in beans and many vegetables. The enzyme comes in liquid form. Three to 10 drops are added per serving just before eating to break down the gas-producing sugars. Beano has no effect on gas caused by lactose or fiber."
It doesn�t work as this claims, though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Beano, a newer over-the-counter digestive aid, contains the sugar-digesting enzyme that the body lacks to digest the sugar in beans and many vegetables. The enzyme comes in liquid form. Three to 10 drops are added per serving just before eating to break down the gas-producing sugars. Beano has no effect on gas caused by lactose or fiber."--------------------------------------------------------------------------------It doesn’t work as this claims, though.**So, you are right and they are wrong? Since you are so superior, why don't you make your own pharmaceutical lab and make something that works as it claims! YOUR ARROGANCE IS GETTING REALLY OLD, FLUX...GIVE IT A REST!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advise and kind words.I have had a barium swallow exam and that was fine and blood tests for an ulcer[clear as well].I am awaiting a follow up appt.I have been much better in last day mainly due to trying to cut out dairy and yeast products.Oh and I bought some charcoal tablets which are very helpful with breaking down the [belching] wind.Mind you I did have some red cabbage this afternoon[man that does not want to go down without a fight].I still can't find where to buy the Beano stuff[I'm in the uk].

·
Registered
258 Posts
bowman,Hey! I like your VW camper! Does that thing have a bathroom in it?
I am glad to hear you are feeling better and that you have had some tests run! I don't know what to tell you about finding the Beano. I know it can be purchased online, but I don't know if it can be shipped to the UK.

G

·
Hey Bowman,Try not to drink anything when you eat, it'll help cut down on the burping. Drink in between meals or 1/2hr or more after. This had the most dramatic effect for me.Oh yeah....try not to wish for really big burps. I have had those and they are worse! especially for chest pains/aches.I also get more burping from onions, raw peppers, spicy food, garlic, melons, foods with lots of water in them. Just try to reduce these items to see if it helps you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.