Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi, Karrietex!Some people have trapped gas, and some do not believe it exists. I am not stating my point of view on this either way as to avoid arguing. However, I just wanted to warn you that a particular member insists trapped gas does not exist. And, I am sure he will tell you this at some point. My advice to you is to ignore him and go by what symptoms you and others here have.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hi Karrietex,Trapped gas does in fact exist and is common in IBS patients. I suffer with it as confirmed by my board-certified GI doctor. It is indeed very painful and is caused by spasms in the intestines which trap the gas there. For some people, drinking peppermint or chamomile tea, using a heating pad or exercising helps. Unfortunately, for me these did not work. What works awesome for me is a prescription anti-spasmodic medication. There are several. Some of them are Librax, Levsin, and Bentyl. Within an hour of taking one of these pills, the smooth muscle of the intestines relaxes and I am finally able to fart. You might want to call your doctor and try one of these meds. If you don't have a GI, a family doctor can prescribe them too.Good luck. I know how painful trapped gas is and I hope you get some relief soon.Stacey

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:is this what i think it is? and if it is
Maybe, maybe not. If you have gas, it must pass eventually. So if you don�t ever pass it, there had been no gas. You can still think you have it though..in that case, and that apparently is the usual case, the discomfort is from IBS itself. That is, the discomfort seems to be caused by hypersensitive pain nerves. In IBS, then, what is happening in the gut and what the gut feels are often not related.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EWWW, ok well then I guess that would be the problem today. I have noticed it usually comes around when I simply can't go. I am so not liking this. I guess being a proper lady it's harder to deal with is especially when the bubble escapes.I do believe it is a yogurt and fruit day. SIGH can someone please pass me the bacon cheese burger???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Trapped gas exists...I have suffered from that more times than I care to remember and it can be extremely painful.Sorry flux, but I don't agree with you. The gas doesn't always have to be passed, apparently it can be reabsorbed by the body (dunno how but it can be). And yeah it is definately worse when you are C.Hope this helps..Sue

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:The gas doesn't always have to be passed, apparently it can be reabsorbed by the body
Absorption into the body occurs, but the rate at which this occurs is too slow compared to the amount of gas being produced or entering from the atmosphere.. you could try to get around this by fasting and essentially stopping gas production..then you just have to worry about the contribution from air swallowing...but without fasting, you end up bursting before the gas got absorbed. So that is why if you don't pass gas, then you don't have gas.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My GI, a respected board-certified doctor in the Dallas area, has said that Flux is wrong when he says that:
quote: if you don't pass gas, then you don't have gas.
I have had trapped gas for 2-4 days at a time and I did not burst, yet it was most certainly trapped gas as shown in xrays. And the reason I was not passing it was because it was trapped.My advice to any of you suffering with what you feel might be trapped gas:1) Ignore Flux2) Ask your doctor to try an anti-spasmodic drug like Bentyl or Librax.Trapped gas is real and it is also treatable. Stacey

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem is i am HIGHLY allegeric to anything that is in the same family as non-anti inflammatory steriods. So I can't take any of those medicines. Anyone know of something more natural? Since right now my right side is simply trying to explode.....wait is that from trapped gas?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Karrietex,I'm not sure anti-spasmodics are in the same family as NSAIDS. Many people have had luck in controlling this gas by exercising, taking peppermint capsules, drinking peppermint or chamomile tea, or by using a heating pad. These never worked for me, but we're all different.Hope you feel better soon!Stacey

G

·
Karrieyou are a hoot
-you have a great sense of humour.if you can, try to get up and walk around when you feel like this. It can be very refreshing for both body and mind.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a bit research and one of the warnings is if you have a reaction to asprin not to take this med. Well, dang it, I sure do have a reaction. Since hives don't go with my wardrobe......HOOT!!!! I am so laughing....

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I once went to the dr and had an xray taken of my spine and my neck.When the dr. was showing me the xray, I noticed these big black circles which started in my intestines and went up towards my chest.I thought they were tumors and became alarmed, so I asked the doctor what those dark circles were.. he said they were gas bubbles and showed me how they started in the intestine.I told him there seemed to be a lot, but he said its much worse in other people.Anyway, I thought that was interesting, and I thought I would mention it since you mentioned trapped wind.After seeing that I could understand the discomfort I was having.Jeanne

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can believe that and I guess that shots down the whole trapped gas being a myth huh?I asked my doctor why my right side would hurt and he told me it was because there was gas sitting there TRYING to make it's way through. So now after reading everything, I am assuming I knew more than I thought.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I have had trapped gas for 2-4 days at a time
For normal amounts of gas, this is not probably not that much.
quote:I did a bit research and one of the warnings is if you have a reaction to asprin not to take this med
What med? Aspirin is not related to any antispasmodic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmmm flux neither is non anti inflammatory steriods...ohhhh wait could it possibly be that if you have a reaction to asprin then you would probably have the SAME effect to a different drug.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.