Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just found this site and I�m overwhelmed. It�s going to take me a long time to get through all this info but the main thing is I�ve found a place where I can ask about and discuss things that just aren�t discussed in proper company
Let me first say that I have not yet been diagnosed with IBS but I suspect that�s what I�ll be hearing next Monday at my followup appointment to my colonoscopy. The doc who performed the scope told me after that everything looked �normal� so I�m guessing it�s not chron�s or colitis, though he did take a few biopsy�s which I�ll get the results from on Monday as well . He had warned me before the scope that if they didn�t find anything during the scope it will likely be IBS. I suppose I should be relieved but I�m not sure IBS is an any better diagnosis after reading some of your stories. After reading through this site I guess I�d have to say I have IBS - D. It�s been going on for years but only a few times a year and for short periods of time. However, about 5 months ago it became almost constant. I had my gall bladder removed a year and a half ago after a couple of attacks and an ultra sound revealed stones. I have no idea what triggers the episodes, I just can�t pin it down, sounds like that�s going to take some time.Here�s my main concern, I love to travel. And the funny thing is when I travel I get the opposite way, but no less embarrassing or painful. When I�m travelling, I get constipated, bloated and very gassy (anybody dealt with that on a bus tour?) It doesn�t seem to have anything to do with the types of food I eat, that doesn�t always change when I travel. I refuse to let this stop me from doing what I love and I�ve just planned a month long trip to Australia. Anybody out there travellers with tips on how to cope when on the road?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Moana -I have had the same experience, and have found that Citrucell helps tremendously. It is now available in tablet form and I take it religiously when I travel to avoid C. Can't quite figure out why C happens when travelling, and D is the norm at home....Nimbus

·
Banned
115 Posts
The Citrucel is definitely good advice. You can also take a magnesium supplement, which helps some people.I just wanted to say I have the same experience. Tend toward D at home but C when I travel.I did find that taking the Caltrate with Magnesium (but a small amount) kept me pretty regular on a recent 10 day trip.Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply folks. I've never been one to take preventative medicinces, I guess it's something I'll have to get used to. I've been taking Immodium and Kaopectate when needed for the last few months since the attacks became more frequent. Of course I don't take it everyday and by the time I think of it I've already had an attack
So nimbus and kristian, you would pop a pill or dose of citricel or magnesium everyday while travelling? Does this help with the gas as well? That's what I struggle with the most I think.LOL Rachel, handy thing to have I suppose but I won't be travelling by car, most of the time by train or coach which I'm hoping will have toilettes, otherwise I'm doomed. But now I know where to look if I need to find a bathroom but I suspect by the time I look it up and find out, it will be too late

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read as much as I can absorb from this board right now and I think I've figured out what I'm going to do.For now, I've purchased some Acidophilus capsules. I'm going to give those a try because I think that's one of the bacteria present in yogurt and my episodes seem to ease when I eat yogurt. I have been taking kaopectate because my doc said it was less harsh then Immodium. I do experience a bit of C when taking it but easier to deal with then the D episodes.I went to a few drug stores today and found out that Citrucel is an American brand, Metamucil is available in Canada but I haven't found it in a capsule form. And I'll be darned if I'm lugging a big jar of Metamucil around Australia with me
Thankfully it does come in those convenient little packets.Christian, you mentioned Caltrate w/magnesium for the C. Would I get the same results I wonder with a generic cacium/magnesium supplement? Does this help with the gas as well?Rachel, I see you're from Australia. I'm thinking I'm not going to lug a drugstore with me when I go, I'm hoping there are similar supplements and over the counter remedies available in Oz just with different brand names. Could you just confirm this for me?Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Moana-I get C so bad when traveling that my husband jokes that we have to just haul our bathroom around with us so I can go.I have to take a mild laxative when I travel otherwise the C is very bad. I take a vegetable laxative which doesn't give me cramps. Safeway makes its own brand which is blessedly mild if I only take one a day. And if I do get some cramping I'm willing to live with it if it helps keep things moving.I think the thing about traveling is that your normal exercise routine is stifled and you sit a lot. I've noticed that I have to get up and walk around and stretch my gut after eating otherwise I'm doomed to C and gas.Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.