Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on atrip with my family next Friday to Mall of America. It's about a 7 hour ride from here. There should be a lot of rest stops along the way, but I'll carry some provisions in the van, just in case. I am c/d type and wonder if any of you have any tips since I also get a lot of gas(lower ab pain mostly). I will pack tea bags and plenty of water, I am not on any meds. I will also take along my supposedly"Safe Foods". I guess what I m most concerned about is the worry, if I worry about this too much, I won't have fun. My daughter planned a trip to the Minneapolis zoo as well. Anyway, any ideas on how to manage the anxiety, since I haven't been on a trip in a long time and really want to have fun with my family. Please...any ideas?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Have you thought about the worst thing which might happen? Imagine it in detail including if you have to stop and go in the fields along the highway and what happens after that. How bad is it in your imagination?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I'm a new member and when I saw your topic I opened it right away- I completely relate to what you are describing! I agree with thinking through the worst case scenario. Who is driving? I would either offer to drive (I feel more in control, in case I wnat to stop) or speak to the driver and be honest about your concerns. I have also tried to apply some yoga philosophies to my breathing and thoughts. Taking a few deep slow breathes helps me to relax a bit more and try to shake the anxious feelings I get. What about some Immodium as a preventative? Sometimes the fear of the unknown is much worse than the actuality. Good Luck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I read the thread on anxiety, and I can relate. I had an acident in the family van 2.5 years ago, and I've worried ever since. I just couldn't get to a bathroom on time. My huband will be driving, he and the kids are well aware of the situation, since I've missed many functions lately. They are pretty good about it. I am planning to use the mall map to find out where the bathrooms will be. Being near a bathroom seems crucial these days,as I never know weather c or d will be acting up, or if all will be fine. I plan on having fun, and planning well.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
That's the right spirit. Focus on having fun. If it is your family they will certainly not reject you. After all it happened once and they are still with you aren't they. They will form opinions based on your whole personality, so maybe you can be extra sweet or thoughtful to them and then they will think only of that.
I realize it is not pleasant to be sick in pulic, but it is an illness and "sick" is a the key wordI wonder how much you have accepted IBS as an illness and not as something which is your fault.. Your family will be supportive and sympathetic and any embarassment will be just temporary. It will pass. Most people are understanding of an illness. And you don't know for sure you will have an accident again. So try to relax. It will most probably not happen. Also if you stay calm , you will reduce the urgency. If you know your triggers as far as food is concerned, all you can do is stay away from them. That is the only thing in your control.All these ideas I learned from the book, "Breaking the Bonds of Irritable Bowel Syndrome" by B Bolen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.