Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!! Two questions. I am planning to leave for vacation in a few days. What should I do to prevent the big "D" before we leave. Do you all take Immodium the day before and how much should I take? My second question is for those of you on Lotronex: what are you experiencing being on this and what is the "big scare" I saw mentioned here? I am considering asking my doctor to prescribe this for me but wanted to ask what it was doing for you all and any side effects you may be having. Thanks so much for any help. I think this is a wonderful place to be able to discuss IBS!!! Kristin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
good news...i just started taking lotronix about 2 months ago. i was very very stressed and in college...(finals week on top of that) anyways as soon as the lotronex kicked in (about a week to two weeks) i was perfectly fine..inspite of finals...and inspite of being more than 5 hrs from home...ALL my symptoms disappeared. I was no longer nauseated...i had no D...my headaches went away...and to top all that off i was less anxious and less depressed (probably due to the fact that I felt better.)when i returned home from college i decreased the amount of lotronex i took...some of the symptoms returned but were less severe...once i increased the dosage in a week i was perfectly fine again. i hope and pray that this medicine continues to work...i just can't skip doses or i do get symptoms..and it'll take a week or so for me to get back on track. i don't know what the newest fear of lotronex is ...i just know that it treats the root of the problem-seratonin's affect of the GI tract- rather than treating the symptoms. Have fun on your vacation.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi AAAmom,Travelling is the scariest thing for me. I went on a two day trip a couple of weeks back. What I did was stuck to very bland foods a couple of days before the trip (ie. rice and toast) and then the morning of the trip I took 2 1/2 Immodium, which for some might be too much. I take it daily so it doesn't work as well as it used to. If you hardly ever take it, I would suggest about one, or one and a half. Take it about an hour before you leave.As far as Lotronex goes, I haven't tried it yet as it's not available here in Canada. I'm not sure if I will try it or not.. from the reading I've done here on the board everybody is pretty much split down the middle. Half of the people have been helped and the other half won't touch it again. Also, use the search option to look up travelling, immodium, and lotronex. You'll find some helpful information there.Best Wishes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Collegesarah, that IS great news!!! I'm very happy that the lotronex is working so well for you. I am going to ask my Dr. if I can try it. I figure I really don't have anthing to lose right? (I mean I've already lost weight from not eating so maybe now I can gain some back!!!!) Thanks for your reply and good luck to you in college. I know how stressful that can be too but now you have the Lotronex on your side!!! Good Luck to you!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shyra22f, well, yes, I am quite familiar with Immodium!!! (ha ha!!) I take about two pills every other day but I think I'll take some the day before & the morning of. Traveling is scary for me too. And usually what happens is you worry about it happening and of course, it does!!!! Thanks for your advice and I didn't even think to try the search for information here so I'll give that a try too!!! Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well everyone is different. I find travel relaxing and as a result my IBS is better when I travel... unless it is the 30 mile drive to work everyday. Sometimes it is a challenge to make it from the parking deck to the downstairs bathroom!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been on Lotronex for 3/12 weeks now and, after ten years of IBS, I think I have finally found something that WORKS! At first I was taking 2 pills a day and that was terribly constipating. Now I have been taking just 1 pill a day and my body seems to be adjusting. Lotronex has been successful for women who have diarrhea type IBS. Women who suffer from constipation IBS are not recommended to use Lotronex. THe stories that you are referring to were users of Lotronex who were C types that tried Lotronex and had serious problems. Your GI doctor will help you determine if you are a good candidate for this new drug and what the dosage should be. GOOD LUCK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts