Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving in a few days on a business trip with several people I work with, including my boss! I'm in a panic. 4 days with these people, what do I do? I just received a great promotion and I am not in a positon to turn this down, plus I don't want to. I really want to go. The immodium and caltrate are already packed. I've decided that I will have to tell my boss a little of my problem, because we are touring several places that involve car travel for at least 40 miles... I just can't do it so I've decided to rent a car on my own. Anyway is there anyone out their that can share a similar experience and what solution did you come up with?Is there anything out there... that I can get my hands on to calm down the fears? I really need HELP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not...but what I do when I'm going to be out with people or going someplace, is take Imodium in the morning (and in the middle of the day if needed) and take Metamucil at bedtime. The Metamucil "firms up" your BM and the Imodium slows everything down. This has worked for me for vacations, camping, etc. If you take the Imodium, be sure to take the Metamucil....so you won't get "backed up"!!! Also, if I feel crampy, I have my Donnatal with me.....I never go anywhere without my "pharmacy".....sort of a drag, but it works for me!Pat
[This message has been edited by Patty Lou (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not...but what I do when I'm going to be out with people or going someplace, is take Imodium in the morning (and in the middle of the day if needed) and take Metamucil at bedtime. The Metamucil "firms up" your BM and the Imodium slows everything down. This has worked for me for vacations, camping, etc. If you take the Imodium, be sure to take the Metamucil....so you won't get "backed up"!!! Also, if I feel crampy, I have my Donnatal with me.....I never go anywhere without my "pharmacy".....sort of a drag, but it works for me!Pat
[This message has been edited by Patty Lou (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good luck with that trip. I really don't have any advice. I know I would be in a panic if that were me. I think that's why I am sort of stuck in my job right now. I don't seek the opportunities I know I am capable of because of this disease. With Lotronex I was able to, even thought of going back to school for teaching-never mind. Anyway this isn't helping you but just wanted to say good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good luck with that trip. I really don't have any advice. I know I would be in a panic if that were me. I think that's why I am sort of stuck in my job right now. I don't seek the opportunities I know I am capable of because of this disease. With Lotronex I was able to, even thought of going back to school for teaching-never mind. Anyway this isn't helping you but just wanted to say good luck and let us know how it goes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Kat. I went through something similar last month. I am a teacher and I went on a two day overnight bus trip with my boss, two teachers 60 kids, and 30 parents. Imagine how worried I was about the IBS! I didn't want to go either, and I was very irritable and anxious days before. What I did to cope was take immodium advanced (they're chewables--tastes yucky but helps with the cramps and G) before I ate a meal, along with my prescription donnatal. Yes, it did plug me up for 2 days because I didn't take metamucil or fiber, but I had no idea where or what the bathroom condition would be like and didn't want to take any chances! Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kat. I went through something similar last month. I am a teacher and I went on a two day overnight bus trip with my boss, two teachers 60 kids, and 30 parents. Imagine how worried I was about the IBS! I didn't want to go either, and I was very irritable and anxious days before. What I did to cope was take immodium advanced (they're chewables--tastes yucky but helps with the cramps and G) before I ate a meal, along with my prescription donnatal. Yes, it did plug me up for 2 days because I didn't take metamucil or fiber, but I had no idea where or what the bathroom condition would be like and didn't want to take any chances! Good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have traveled with my manager and colleagues to Europe a few times. The best advice I can give you is make sure you take care of your needs without concern for what anyone MAY think. I have almost missed international plane flights because of being in the restroom during final boarding. But guess what, I did what I needed to do and no one asked any questions.Great idea of getting your own car. Make sure you have the itinerary and addresses and directions and simply tell your colleagues that you'll meet them there. Do what you need to do on the way there, no one will know if you stop for a restroom.Eat lightly but steadily, carry pretzels or something to keep food in your system and don't try new foods. Skip out of the parties early and get your rest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have traveled with my manager and colleagues to Europe a few times. The best advice I can give you is make sure you take care of your needs without concern for what anyone MAY think. I have almost missed international plane flights because of being in the restroom during final boarding. But guess what, I did what I needed to do and no one asked any questions.Great idea of getting your own car. Make sure you have the itinerary and addresses and directions and simply tell your colleagues that you'll meet them there. Do what you need to do on the way there, no one will know if you stop for a restroom.Eat lightly but steadily, carry pretzels or something to keep food in your system and don't try new foods. Skip out of the parties early and get your rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.