Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this question in some form or another before, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself. But I really want to make some travel plans (or not) soon. I just have this nagging question that's got me stuck in indecision here.See after years of IBS-D I've recovered enough that I'm contemplating doing some overseas travel. But I'm really worried about Traveller's D e.g. food-poisoning, water-borne illnesses. I'm not so much worried that I may get a bout that'll knock me out for a few days, that's no biggie. What I'm worried about is that if I got sick with some kind of stomach bug that it might cause my IBS to come back full-force for a long time. Can anyone help me figure out how much of a risk I'd actually be taking? It took me 4 years before I started recovering, so I don't want to lose another 4 years of my life. However, I also don't want to be paranoid and cut myself off from a potentially great experience unecessarily.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
It would really depend upon where you are planning to go. I have been to Europe twice and am planning a third visit in the Fall. I have stayed in B&Bs and rented apartments and have eaten and drunk indiscriminately and it hasn't made a significant difference in my bowel experience. We were planning a trip to Mexico for this week; but that ended up being canceled. I think I would have been more cautious; but I have been told that if we stayed in the tourist areas, there is little likelihood of problems. If I were going to India or SE Asia, I would definitely want to be staying at hotels and again watching what and where I ate and drank.In the end, something can get us even if we just stay home. I tend to be optimistic. Take a chance, win a prize, I say.Good luck,Mark

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yes I was thinking, maybe I should limit my travel to the more developed world, however it is true you can get sick anywhere. Maybe I'm looking for certainties where there just isn't any. Perhaps I should try this optimism concept, sounds interesting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts