Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice for me?I'm going to be travelling in August for a 15 hour car trip there and 15 hours back home. I'm so nervous I will have to go the bathroom and there won't be a restroom anywhere for miles. And when I have an urge to go I need to go ASAP. It scares me and I hate this feeling of dread. I want to go have fun, not worry. Please help. I've used immodium before and it helps, I have just never had to go this long on a trip. And what about when we stop to eat along the way??? AHHH...I am already stressing! Any tips or advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
When I travel, I make sure I bring an ice cream pail (for accidents b/t restrooms) moist wipes (Cottonelle), change of clothes, and toilet paper. I also bring some water to drink and also wash up with. I've had 2 bad accidents (IBS wise) travelling to my Grandparents now and these have helped me. I also used a sun shade thing for the windshield to give myself some privacy in the car. Travelling in a long skirt makes it easier too if you need to go "now". Also more comfy for the gut.Good luck!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You and I are in the same boat this summer! We leave in two weeks for our vacation. Only it's a 10 hour drive, most of which is in the middle of no where! No bathrooms for miles!!What I usually do? Eat light the day before you leave, and eat bland! Eat only foods that usually won't give you an attack. Eat light while on the driving part of your trip. The worse part of vacations for me is that you pretty much have to eat OUT the whole time. Eating at places like Subway seem to help me.Bring an extra set of clothes that you can get to easy. Along with wet wipes or wet towels to clean up with should you have an accident. I take all 4 Immodium 30-45 minutes before we leave. In hopes that it's going to kick in and keep me well for the driving part of the trip. I've been really lucky in that I have never had an accident on vacation before. Had a few close calls. But I know how you feel, I SO want to have fun this time too. I'm also seeing my doctor 4 days before we leave. I plan on asking him if he'll prescribe me a stronger anti-diarrheal. Just enough to get me through the trip. I'm hoping maybe he'll go for it!
Hope you have a great vacation!Jennifer

·
Registered
354 Posts
nicoleq:On one of the dicussions on the Meeting Place, AMcCall recommended the use of disposable protective undergarments. I have been considering the same thing for my next long road trip and mabe when I golf. I don't like to admit it but I had an "accident" while travelling and almost did not get off the highway and out of the car before soiling my front seat. Luckily I got out just in the nick of time but even after cleaning myself up as best I could and a quick change I drove sitting on a towel until I was able to get to a motel for a thorough shower.Wishing all of you planning to travel this summer a safe, relaxing and enjoyable trip.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
another thing to do is pack "safe" foods for the trip. I can't go that long without eating or I will trigger a migraine. So I make sure to have high protein snacks with me - Luna bars are great and I never seem to have a problem with them. I also do the immodium - I'll often start the night before with a couple. and I think of contigency plans along the way. Driving to the beach from Portland for me isn't as scary as some other drives since so mcuh of it through forest - I can always run into the woods if need be! I've never had to but just knowing that option exists, is really helpful.nancy

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would much rather travel by car but this summer we are flying to Europe. It will most likely be a whole day of travel each way and I am just dreading being stuck on a plane for so long. It is so sad that I won't really be able to enjoy the trip because most likely I will half starve myself. I have pleaded with my husband not to book us into an Inn with a shared bathroom. The only reason I have agreed to go is that it may be a very long time before I ever get the opportunity to go again.Please wish me luck.As far as car travel ,I have driven across country in a Uhaul with husband and dog. I thought it would be terrible but I was much more relaxed when I realized that if we really had to stop we could. I ate very light( water ,crackers etc) and took immodium.That usually gets through a few days if I haven't eaten much previously. I made out OK even when stuck in traffic.My goal was to get to our destination and then eat what I wanted. Fortunately it worked out that way. Good luck to all of you who will be traveling this summer !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Nicoleq, The one thing that I have learned when I travel is to relax and have fun. For such a long time I stressed about traveling and therefore had just horrible trips. I finally learned to relax and now when I travel it is a trip worth taking. I do all the normal things like take my medication on time and watch what I eat, but the trick for me has just been to relax and enjoy. The more I stress the worse the trips go. So my advice is to do all the normal rituals but this time throw in "no stressing". I hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have to travel also in 2 weeks to louisiana, i live in centralamerica .im gonna go visit my boyfriend and i hate planes but ok i have to do it and on top he says he has a surprise for me ... a trip for both of us to texas.... i mean first i have to travel from my country to louisiana on a plane and then the next day i have to travel to texas in a car....... talk about stress.... but my boyfriend knows im sick and he is really understanding and sweet so i dont feel im gonna feel stressed around him its just around other ppl i dont know .. im basically doing this for him and bcuz i love him and im not gonna let ibs limit my life!!! wish me luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.