Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2.5 years of IBS D stuff, stool tests showed giardia. I took the treatment, Flagyl, but symptoms haven't changed. I am taking Florastor and another probiotic but to no avail. Anyone else had this kind of diagnosis and treatment prove ineffective?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Has the stool test been repeated to see if you are clear of the giardia?

G

·
A re-test was my first thought, too. I think giardia can be stubborn sometimes.Also, how long have you been off the flagyl and on the probiotics? I recently went through a 2-week course of flagyl and erythromycin (for campylobacter and h. pylori). It took me about three weeks to start to feel improvement from the probiotics after that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been off the Flagyl 10 days, and on probiotics about a week - the Flagyl seemd to work, but I fell apart a few days after the end of the treatment, and started the probiotics, which have not started to work yet, I guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been having IBS-D symptoms for years. I went to the doc a few years back, and nothing conclusive, they just passed me off. Went again at the end of summer, and I was positive for giardia. Not sure where I got it, but I did. They put me on metrodonazil (or something like that...) and I noticed the giardia symptoms went away. My #### was different looking, my stomach would make a loud gargle... it was weird. But after the pills, I went back to having diarrhea all the time, but pre giardia symptoms. IBS D and giardia was NOT fun, at all. My guess is I've had IBS for years, and the giardia was just a coincidence. There was an obvious change after the meds, so, I doubt I still have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been off the Flagyl 10 days, and on probiotics about a week - the Flagyl seemd to work, but I fell apart a few days after the end of the treatment, and started the probiotics, which have not started to work yet, I guess.
hi, please read my experience with giardia- how are you now? im about to start my fourth round of antibiotics in 3 weeks - going back on flagyl for 7 days 3 times a day am interested to see how you have been since? read my post to see ifg you had similar experience?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.