Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in hearing from people who have had positive experiences treating IBS with Herbs. I had my gall bladder removed (open) 6 yrs ago.My IBS symtoms includes: diarreha, bloating, raw feeling in my stomach, gas, a general run down feeling. I also have shortness of breath.Please e-mail me. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Having the gall bladder removed could be the main cause of your diarrhaea attacks like mine. Read some of the calcium threads and email me if you have quesitons.It has help me for over 2 years now and I suffered for more than 23 after having the GB removed.Don't wait that long.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump. Hey all you herbal/natural people out there.....please help educate us.All I know is that ginger is supposed to help calm nausea------------------Color Rainbows in the Rain[This message has been edited by hotmeow (edited 11-23-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi My symptoms were/are bloating, gas, pain, c and occasional d. I used the following in my attempts to get better not necessarily all at the same time:peppermint massage: This was recommended by my consultant here in England. I use 2 drops of aromatherapy standard peppermint oil to a teaspoon of base oil. I make a mix of about 6-12 teaspoons in a small jar and keep it by my bed. Massage over abdomen and back in a clockwise direction. Always test skin for sensitivity. Peppermint is an anti-spasmodic and I find it helps move the trapped gas often a cause of pain with IBS. I was hugely skeptical about aromatherapy until I tried it; now as I am sensitive to many chemicals and drugs I find it so helpful. I would also suggest reading a book by a qualified aroma therapist before proceeding. I know of a great one if you need further info.I take Colpermin which is available here in the UK. It is a coated peppermint capsule which does not start working until it gets to the bowel. The coating also stops the peppermint burning the 'stomach'. I am sure I have noticed Colpermin and another coated peppermint supplement listed in drugs link. Colpermin is available on prescription here and is becoming very mainstream.Slippery Elm this is a herbal powder which acts as a bulking agent but for me the true benefits are that it is a mucilage which puts a coating on the gut which allows it to heal naturally. We had a discussion about it so you may want to check or use the search. I now take it twice a day mixed with rice dream as a drink.Chamomile tea, my herbalist recommended this as it is anti inflammatory. I drink it if I have D. or bladder problems. I use the flower heads form a herbal apothecary and infuse about 1 tablespoonful in a � pint of boiling water. I let it infuse for 10 minutes. It is an acquired taste.Acupuncture, my herbalist is also qualified for acupuncture and she suggested I try it. At first I had it once a week but now I visit her every 6- 8 weeks. To put it in context I also have a restricted diet free from trigger foods and take regular supplements but feel the essential fatty acids are of particular importance. There is an ongoing debate here about olive oil. I found the diet was the key thing for improving fatigue symptoms.I also exercise every other day for 20 mins.If you need more information please feel free to e-mail me.Gillian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts