Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a couple of people on here who have recurrent bladder infections the way I do. For the past 2 months I have been taking low doses of antibiotics after sex and it's worked great. The idea of having antibiotics constantly pumped into my body wasn't very appealing to me, but I saw a urologist who seemed familiar with IBS and worked with me on antibiotic dosages. I have not reacted well to Cipro in the past (awful D, and I am normally C) so he put me on a very low dose to see how it worked. It's been working great so far, and this is the farthest I have gone in a LONG time that I can remember without an infection or some irritation. I take a 250 mg pill after sex and it isn't enough to bother my stomach or make me nauseous. All in all, I probably take 2-3 of them a week and I've been feeling great. Not sure how this would work for other people, especially because I'm sure a lot of IBSers have a sensitivity to antibiotics like I do, and I know I wasn't too keen on having all those antibiotics going through my body, but I'm justifying it in my mind because I just hate the way I feel when I have a bladder infection and the high doses of antibiotics I'm given during an infection makes me so sick that I'm just grateful to be infection-free for this long. I have been a bit concerned about the way that bacteria react to antibiotics in certain cases, the way they can become conditioned to be resistant when antibiotics are overused, but at this point I'm just thankful I can finally have sex and not be all paranoid afterward. Whew. Just thought it might be helpful for anyone else who has UTIs a lot.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.