Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one Iowa clinic,they uses Metronidazole(antibiotic) for the treatment of SIBO and apparently it works well.Is there any c.trials who prove that it works?The symptoms of SIBO seems to be the same as IBS.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH,this is Flagyl,here a research: http://www.indianjgastro.com/article.asp?i...st=Nayak;type=0 http://www.ibscrohns.about.com/od/antibiotics/ Them claims Flagyl may aggravate IBS
: http://www.vegatest.info/irritable.htm Giardia lamblia and amoeba (entamoeba hystolytica) are worldwide intestinal parasites, both of which are quite common in Britain. They are particularly liable to be picked up abroad in places with poor sanitation. They can be contributory factors to leaky gut syndrome and to I.B.S. Conventional doctors, on the whole, tend to overlook intestinal parasites as possible causes of I.B.S. The orthodox diagnosis of intestinal parasites depends on positive stools cultures, which are not very reliable because of the high incidence of false negatives associated with the extreme volatility of the parasite 'cysts' or trophozoites during their life cycle. Experienced conventional doctors, on suspicion of a diagnosis of intestinal parasites, may sometimes treat them on spec with an antibiotic called metronidazole, even in the absence of positive stools cultures. The downside of metronidazole is that it is liable to aggravate the symptoms of I.B.S. by causing severe abdominal cramps. It may even also cause generalised allergies, and it does nothing to correct the associated problem of dysbiosis. Another disadvantage is that patients often refuse to complete treatment because of the severity of the adverse side effects. The biological approach to intestinal parasites involves making the correct diagnosis, which does not depend on positive stools cultures, and on treating the infection with a carefully selected combination of probiotics, herbs, nutritional supplements, classical homoeopathy and modern homoeopathy.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH,this is Flagyl,here a research: http://www.indianjgastro.com/article.asp?i...st=Nayak;type=0 http://www.ibscrohns.about.com/od/antibiotics/ Them claims Flagyl may aggravate IBS
: http://www.vegatest.info/irritable.htm Giardia lamblia and amoeba (entamoeba hystolytica) are worldwide intestinal parasites, both of which are quite common in Britain. They are particularly liable to be picked up abroad in places with poor sanitation. They can be contributory factors to leaky gut syndrome and to I.B.S. Conventional doctors, on the whole, tend to overlook intestinal parasites as possible causes of I.B.S. The orthodox diagnosis of intestinal parasites depends on positive stools cultures, which are not very reliable because of the high incidence of false negatives associated with the extreme volatility of the parasite 'cysts' or trophozoites during their life cycle. Experienced conventional doctors, on suspicion of a diagnosis of intestinal parasites, may sometimes treat them on spec with an antibiotic called metronidazole, even in the absence of positive stools cultures. The downside of metronidazole is that it is liable to aggravate the symptoms of I.B.S. by causing severe abdominal cramps. It may even also cause generalised allergies, and it does nothing to correct the associated problem of dysbiosis. Another disadvantage is that patients often refuse to complete treatment because of the severity of the adverse side effects. The biological approach to intestinal parasites involves making the correct diagnosis, which does not depend on positive stools cultures, and on treating the infection with a carefully selected combination of probiotics, herbs, nutritional supplements, classical homoeopathy and modern homoeopathy.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long you took it.I'm just curious.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long you took it.I'm just curious.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I highly suspect that there is no meds available to help us actually.I think that unusuals treatments may offers futures treatments.I mean that with all the IBSers,what is easily available have been tried.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I highly suspect that there is no meds available to help us actually.I think that unusuals treatments may offers futures treatments.I mean that with all the IBSers,what is easily available have been tried.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why you took Flagyl?Do you have SIBO?Only few IBSers have been tested for SIBO,the docs don't breath test sufferers.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why you took Flagyl?Do you have SIBO?Only few IBSers have been tested for SIBO,the docs don't breath test sufferers.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I took it for something totally unrelated to IBS many years ago. I do remember it bothered my stomach, made me very nauseaus and had a wierd metal taste. I have never been tested for SIBO. I have had to take different antibiotics over the years for stuff like strep throat, bladder infection, things like that and every single time they make my IBS worse. If someone told me an antibiotic would help my IBS I still wouldnt take it, they all make me so sick.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I took it for something totally unrelated to IBS many years ago. I do remember it bothered my stomach, made me very nauseaus and had a wierd metal taste. I have never been tested for SIBO. I have had to take different antibiotics over the years for stuff like strep throat, bladder infection, things like that and every single time they make my IBS worse. If someone told me an antibiotic would help my IBS I still wouldnt take it, they all make me so sick.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Flagyl caused me to go from functional C to IBS C. Took it for 5 days....on day 6 I had Explosive D and BLOATING belly that looked like something was in my belly moving around....YUK Joann

·
Registered
544 Posts
Flagyl caused me to go from functional C to IBS C. Took it for 5 days....on day 6 I had Explosive D and BLOATING belly that looked like something was in my belly moving around....YUK Joann

1 - 17 of 17 Posts