Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just found this web site and it has helped me so much about understanding IBS. I have also ordered several books to help me learn more about IBS. I've been diagnosed with IBS-D for about 8 years now - went through the barium test (which wasn't fun!). The doctor told me that there was nothing wrong with me. How can you feel so terrible and still have nothing wrong with you! I currently went through some very stressful moments in my life too (separation, family death, and divorce) so that hasn't helped matters either. Plus teenagers too. OH MY. It seems that I get diarrhea alot right before and during my period. What a thing to look forward to each month..huh?? If its not the diarrhea, I have to cope with menstrual cramps and heavy bleeding. What we women have to go though.
Any advice from the ladies on how you handle that. I also have problems with not being able to "hold it" before I get to the bathroom. It's very embrassing and I thought I was the only one. Happy to see that I'm not alone. I had a concern about taking too many Imodium pills but after reading the BB that is no longer a worry. I only take about 2-3 tablets a month (how lucky..huh??) There is talk about trigger foods, how do you know which foods trigger an attack. Does it happen right away, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 24 hours??? Any comments??I have started taking fiber pills and calcium. Do these help?? Thanks.Debbie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I relate with almost everything you said. Your symtoms are so close to mine. I have D right before the monthly friend hits too. What's up with that? Unfortunately, we have to look forward to that each month. I've been searching this website for a couple of days now and I've noticed that everyone has similiar triggers. Such as: coffee, broccoli (raw veggies). Personally, I can't live without my coffee in the morning. I only drink one cup and I don't see how that could hurt me. My doc seems to think that the coffee in the morning and cigarettes brings on the D. I think I'm still in denial, as if it is going to disappear and I won't have to deal with it anymore. I wish I knew which foods were ok to eat. It doesn't seem like it's a set thing. I can eat chicken with rice one night and be perfectly fine and eat the same exact thing the next day and have an attack. So, I don't know what to do anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi DebbieWelcome to the board.I am a C (constipation type) so I can't offer much in the way of tips for your problems. However, from reading other posts, I understand that fibre and calcium suppliments are in the front line of attack when dealing with D.Good luck with getting your D under control and someone will sure to reply to your post with first hand experience soon!Go wellroz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Dr. told me that Fibercon will help with C and D because it makes you "regular" either way - and she was right! I know others use different things though - but Fibercon works pretty good for me!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI IOWASUFFERER:As far as trigger foods and additives go, if you wan to learn that subject from the expert in the field, and his tips on how to utilize specific diet strategy approach to find the "triggers", I recommend you order the book FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICATION AND TREATMENT by professor Jonathan Brostoff. He is a an Immunologist and probably the leading authority on this subject anywhere. It is $18 on Amazon and is the best $18 you will spend. As matter of fact, click here if you want to look at itURL FOR BROSTOFFS FOOD ALLERGY BOOK ON AMAZON http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 (NOTE: no I am not a book salesman, and get no $ from any books of his which sell; Dr. B is just 'the man" in this area and I do work with him and other doctors in this area)Related to the worsening of the symptoms prior to and during the menses, the short version is that contraction of the uterus is sort of 'regulated" by a type of chemical class in the body called prostaglandins. Some people are either more sensitive to them or form more of them and get more menstrual discomfort. Ibuprofen helps cramps better than other OTC analgesics of this type because it interferes with the action of prostaglandins. Some researchers have also found elevated leveles of prostaglandin e2 in the stool of some IBS patients, along with other indicators at various times that implicate abnormal hypersensitivity reactions reactions in IBS and theis chemical is part of that process.This is another suggestion that the two are related. The double-side to the sword is that i some studies, the USE of OTC analgesics of this type has been associated with worsening of IBS symptoms overall as some peoples gut sees these chemicals as a trigger...thats the trouble with hypersensitivity in the gut...bad all around.That is a very shortened version (for anybody that wants to point out the parts I know I left out to try to help IOWA get a little insight into this...and that this happens often with IBS females...who predominate anyway...!)Have A Lead Free EveningMNL__________________ www.leapallergy.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having D around the time of your period isn't unusual, even if you don't have IBS. It is due to the release of prostaglandins which cause the uterus to contract and expel its contents causing cramps and can also cause the gut to contract causing the D.I'm new to this site and not even sure I have IBS. I may have diverticular disease but I have pain and D, too. I know that "have to find a bathroom" hustle all too well. I'm probably going to have to have some more tests to figure it all out. It comes and goes. I have pain on my left side and frequent BM's both "regular" and D all in the same day when it is acting up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies
ebeth - since I don't smoke or drink coffee or caffine, I don't have that problem. I get D about the same time everyday - right after I eat dinner. It usually happens 30 mintues to 1 hour after I eat. Is that from the food that I just ate or what? I only eat a banana for breakfast and crackers for lunch. I'm afraid to go out to a restaurant in fear of having an accident. I'll keep reading the BB and keep trying new things to try.
Debbie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.