Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, a lot of posting goes on here in a short amount of time...Thought I would try again with my question.Past three days I've had C and it seems to be getting worse. I'm taking stool softeners (Docusate Sodium) and laxatives (Sennakot) before I go to bed, and this morning I just had skinny little bits come out. I'm drinking tons of water.My question is this: I get hungry but I'm unsure as to what I should be eating, if anything. It doesn't seem like things are moving, so I'm afraid to eat because I figure unless I get cleaned out, eating will just back things up more. The problem is that the more I don't go, the more anxious I get, which doesn't help. I'm really afraid I'll get severe constipation (I've had it before, ended up goig to the ER, they gave me an enema...which DIDN'T WORK!) or impacted or something. It's almost impossible to think of anything else when this is going on, I find. Anyone have any suggestions as to what would be safe to eat until this passes (literally) or if I should go on a liquid diet? Is it better to eat to try and push things through, or better to not eat? ARGH! And does anyone else have this anxiety about not being able to go, and what do you do about it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to keep harping: now I just have incredible cramping and liquid stools. Obviously I'm not passing the problem but things are going around it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think I would definitely call your doctor on that one. I have never had it that bad and would be worried. Plus, you can't go on with not eating. You will probably need to wean yourself from the Senakot. Have you tried that sprouted grain bread that's been working for some?AllBran cereal worked great for me but also gave me more gas and discomfort. I use Perdiem in the brown can daily, eat oatmeal for breakfast and make sure I get enough fruit everyday. Salads help, too, if you can tolerate them.------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also SUFFERING from C! (Ate pizza & posted on the BB about my stupidity.) Had a BM on Thursday, but it wasn't much & not had one since them. Took MOM, again this morning & if that doesn't work in a few hours, i'll try a softener.Wish I could help, but the truth is I haven't eaten anything since Friday nights pizza. Have drunk lots & lots of water. I am not hungry, a little spacey, but not hungry & am afraid to eat anything. I don't want to add anything else to my system until I get rid of what's there.Stress, I am totally stressed & am positive that it's only worsening my condition & adding lots of really nasty gas. Having a BM is the first thing that I thought of this morning & is dictating the rest of my day/life.Wish I had a solution for you, but I'm suffering along w/ you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding, you guys.I did see a doctor today, he was totally useless. While I was there, I thought I was going to pass gas, but you guessed it, something else came out. Thank god I was wearing a pad for my period, or there would have been a mess. Since then I've got bloating and just liquid stools.Anyway, this useless doctor told me that since I'm going at all it's probably working itself out. He told me to keep taking the laxatives and stool softeners and to eat fruits and vegetables and drink lots of water. Friday I had an xray and it didn't show any impactions or anything but I'm worried about that, especially with the diahrea. I expressed this to the doctor, but he didn't seem concerned after examining me. It seems like the problem isn't leaving, things are just moving around it.Anyway, I'm unsatisfied with what happened today, and I'm going to try someone else tomorrow. I'm trying to relax because I know being anxious doesn't help, but it's so hard! You're right, it's all you can think about.Right now I'm trying not to panic. I'm my own worst enemy, I'm convinced something terrible is going to happen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been in the same boat as you. Here are some suggestions that have sometimes worked for me: Taking 2 vitamin C, flax seed capsules, nut bread, water, walking, corn (if you could handle it, I can't), salad, apples and pears especially. I know it is hard not to think about it, but you really have to stop thinking about it - go out for a walk! Good luck, I hope I was of some help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried a few glasses of wine in the evening (that's if you drink alcohol)?. I've noticed that I always go the next day, if I've been out for dinner etc. and had a couple of glasses. You should eat with it. It probably relaxes your nervous system overnight. I'm sure anxiety doesn't help. What about Metamucil for the long term? You have to start gradually (eg. one quarter of a teaspoon, once per day) or you'll get wind. I now take two rounded teaspoons, twice a day immediately after meals. Drink lots of water with it. I've been using this for 20 years and can't live without it. It's only a bulking agent (fibre) so can be used all the time without damaging your bowels. It's not a stimulant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try this...Mix 6 oz tuna fish, 6 oz of liver, 1 turkey gizard, and 2 cups of milk. Mix into a blender for 30 seconds and drink. One time this worked for me but gave me D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggetions you guys. I haven't tried using fibre like All Bran, Metamucil or Prodieum yet, because I want to make sure I'm cleaned out before I do. I've heard you can get REALLY stopped up if you take too much fibre all at once, etc. I can't take Vitamin C, unfortunately, because it bothers my stomach. And Ocean2200, did you really drink that concoction? lol. You're braver than me! Desperate times call for desperate measures!I've been drinking so much water that my back teeth are floating and I've gone for two walks today. I'm trying to relax and not panic. I was rewarded tonight by being able to pass some gas (who knew you could be so relieved just by doing that!). At least I know I'm not totally stopped up if I can do that. Getting alot of rumbling, maybe something is moving finally.The bad news is that the gallbladder pain is back because I had to stop taking the Buscopan. It gave me a stabbing pain in my eye, and they told me if I got pain or blurry vision in my eye to stop. I'm going to ask tomorrow about a different kind of anti spasmodic. I tried Dicetyl last year, and I believe that is also for biliary tract spasms.*sigh* Well, thanks, you guys are great.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You have got to keep eating solids as you're bowel needs the bulk to stimulate contractions. This is why fibre supplements help - the bulking increases contractions. You must have adequate fluids with it though Maybe lactulose is worth a try, or magnesium, which are less likely to cause dependency than senna. Longterm use of senna can apparently cause paralysis of the nerves in the bowel.If you are going a bit, and the X-ray showed nothing, how do you know you are constipated?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi: Yes, I bought prune juice, but I have to work today, so I'll try that later tonight...As a result of the laxatives and softeners I'm taking, I had something of a bm this morning, it was mostly diahrea, and occasioned that cramping pain. Miserable, still feel full up. The Xrays actually showed that I was full of it. I always knew that, now I have medical proof. ha. Today oughta be fun, wish me luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.