Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and wondered if there are any other teachers out there with this condition. I teach elementary students and find some days are very trying at best. There are no private bathrooms with locks around and I feel that it truly heightening my anxiety which makes my condition worse. Thank you for allowing me to vent. Even though I have a very supportive spouse, I feel that I am all alone with this often. Maria

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi MElena,I am totally with you! It is awful to be in a job you love, but that causes so much anxiety! The anxiety of not having ab adult bathroom makes this so hard. I do have an understanding teaching partner and there are many days I run over to her room and tell her I am having a "bad tummy day" and then she keeps an eye on my class. Sometimes I actually ahve to run all the way over the the attached church and use the bathroom there. Some days I think I am not going to make it. When I get an attak I pop an Imodium right away and also a medication I take to stop the spasms. I also have ativan that I can take becuase for me it gets so much worse when I worry!I used to be very emabarrassed about this, but found that if you try to hide it it just causes more anxiety.I hope this helps! What grade do you teach?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I teach first grade. I'm so very lucky that I am off this week, because my body decided to start having a bad reaction to the Bentyl anti-spasmodic I am currenty prescribed. Of course this also happens when my GI is on vacation. If we weren't on break I would have lost this whole week with a sub. I realized this week that I am going to have to sit down with my principal and find a way to deal in case I to run out of class suddenly. I'll have to explain that when it comes on I don't have time to call the office and wait aruond. I hope she understands and we can find a system. Wish me luck, because if not I don't know what I'll do

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please let me know how the talk goes with your principal! I'll be thinking of you.I teach first grade too! Boy, I bet we could share some stories!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the support. I really hope this attack goes away or at least becomes livable soon. I just hope that I am doing a diservice to my students by trying to stay in teaching.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't know how you do it. I babysit 3 children of a teacher every weekday and I'm there at 6:30 a.m. for her to get to middle School on time. She is organized to the Hilt and on the ball and still has a tough time of it. She also has a super supportive husband too who helps with everything AND SHE DOESN'T SUFFER FROM IBS-D. God bless you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I didn't want to come off like a whiner, but I have a 2 year old at home too. THANK GOD for my husband and father. They help me all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts