Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scheduled for my 2nd colonoscopy after 14 years. I recently turned 40. I'm wondering if it's really neccessary, and am trying to weigh the risks. The tests I've had thru the years have always come out normal - diagnosis IBS. I'm IBS-C and lately have had a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen that comes and goes, and is more prominent with movement. I'm also severely constipated and have pain with a movement. The gastroenterologist said that I should have another colonoscopy because it was so long ago since my last. Have any of you had more than one? Should we get checked-out ever so often? My flare-ups seem to be every 7 years. Is "peace-of-mind" worth the risk of something going wrong during the procedure? I'm nervous about the whole thing. My father died of bile-duct cancer last year at age 64, and my boss died 3 years ago with colon cancer at age 57. I wonder if my symptoms are just from stress and worry.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's nothing. I've had about 10. I'm 43 years old & have had Ulcerative Colitus since 1980. But don't worry. They already have new procedures happening that are changing things in years to come. One is to swallow a tiny camera that goes thru your system & takes pics. No pain at all!. Another already on the news the other day is a type of x-ray that detects any cancer or abnormalities. No colonoscopy necessary at all!!!!. Good luck. Soon the old colonoscopy will be old-fashioned. -JOHN

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's nothing. I've had about 10. I'm 43 years old & have had Ulcerative Colitus since 1980. But don't worry. They already have new procedures happening that are changing things in years to come. One is to swallow a tiny camera that goes thru your system & takes pics. No pain at all!. Another already on the news the other day is a type of x-ray that detects any cancer or abnormalities. No colonoscopy necessary at all!!!!. Good luck. Soon the old colonoscopy will be old-fashioned. -JOHN

G

·
John, thanks for cheering me up. I'm about due for another (my fifth) colonoscopy soon. I'm supposed to hav eone every five years. I'd like to know more about the xray that diagnoses abnormalities. Where did you read it. Made my day.

G

·
John, thanks for cheering me up. I'm about due for another (my fifth) colonoscopy soon. I'm supposed to hav eone every five years. I'd like to know more about the xray that diagnoses abnormalities. Where did you read it. Made my day.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I understood if you have a history on colon cancer in your family that you should have a colonoscophy every 2 years after age 50. I recently had my first one and after years of worrying about colon cancer (lots of history in my family) it was wonderful to find out I was completely clear of any signs. The peace of mind is great!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I understood if you have a history on colon cancer in your family that you should have a colonoscophy every 2 years after age 50. I recently had my first one and after years of worrying about colon cancer (lots of history in my family) it was wonderful to find out I was completely clear of any signs. The peace of mind is great!

·
Registered
136 Posts
xoxoxo-I caught a part of a news story on T.V.from a Phoenix station yesterday (7-18-01). I was at my computer & missed the beginning of it because I thought they were talking about the tiny camera you swallow..but they weren't.When I turned around & looked at the T.V. they were showing blue x-rays of a lady's intestines, and explaining how the colonoscopy isn't necessary with these pictures. You could see all of the details of her insides. Im not postive how the x-rays were done. Im sure we'll hear more about this if it eliminates the colonoscopy. -later, JOHN

·
Registered
136 Posts
xoxoxo-I caught a part of a news story on T.V.from a Phoenix station yesterday (7-18-01). I was at my computer & missed the beginning of it because I thought they were talking about the tiny camera you swallow..but they weren't.When I turned around & looked at the T.V. they were showing blue x-rays of a lady's intestines, and explaining how the colonoscopy isn't necessary with these pictures. You could see all of the details of her insides. Im not postive how the x-rays were done. Im sure we'll hear more about this if it eliminates the colonoscopy. -later, JOHN

·
Registered
136 Posts
xoxoxox-Come to think of it...i think Ill check their website & see if they mention old news, or I could even email them & ask them about the story. Their website is www.12news.com if your interested. -JOHN

·
Registered
136 Posts
xoxoxox-Come to think of it...i think Ill check their website & see if they mention old news, or I could even email them & ask them about the story. Their website is www.12news.com if your interested. -JOHN

·
Registered
136 Posts
xoxoxox-I FOUND IT!!.. Go to www.12news.com and then click on "health" in the left column.Then click on Virtual Colonscopy.They are giving these at a mall in Scottsdale Arizona (that is right next to Phoenix)You can see their address & phone number and everything. Well, they could be quite expensive but anyways now I know there are other means to the uncomfortable Colonoscopy. -JOHN

·
Registered
136 Posts
xoxoxox-I FOUND IT!!.. Go to www.12news.com and then click on "health" in the left column.Then click on Virtual Colonscopy.They are giving these at a mall in Scottsdale Arizona (that is right next to Phoenix)You can see their address & phone number and everything. Well, they could be quite expensive but anyways now I know there are other means to the uncomfortable Colonoscopy. -JOHN

G

·
I know exactly how you feel. I'm 42 and having my second colonoscopy tomorrow. In fact I'm sitting here dreading the prep that I face in the next couple of hours or so. This all started with my GI suggesting that I have one (six months ago) to totally eliminate any heath conditions that would contribute to IBSlike symptoms. Well guess what! While performing the test he found a very large precancerous polop. He removed it. Tomorrow I go back to see if it is all gone or not! I'm not happy about IBS but if I have to say something positive about it, it actually saved my life!My Gi also mentioned that my kids need to have colonoscopies done starting when they are 10 years younger than I was when I first had mine. So the legacy I leave my kids are coloscopies at 32 years old. Once they've been cleared, they would only need them every 5 - 10 years. I just keep telling myself that there are worse things than colonoscopies!

G

·
I know exactly how you feel. I'm 42 and having my second colonoscopy tomorrow. In fact I'm sitting here dreading the prep that I face in the next couple of hours or so. This all started with my GI suggesting that I have one (six months ago) to totally eliminate any heath conditions that would contribute to IBSlike symptoms. Well guess what! While performing the test he found a very large precancerous polop. He removed it. Tomorrow I go back to see if it is all gone or not! I'm not happy about IBS but if I have to say something positive about it, it actually saved my life!My Gi also mentioned that my kids need to have colonoscopies done starting when they are 10 years younger than I was when I first had mine. So the legacy I leave my kids are coloscopies at 32 years old. Once they've been cleared, they would only need them every 5 - 10 years. I just keep telling myself that there are worse things than colonoscopies!

G

·
Has anyone benefited from a colonoscopy??? I would think if you had a problem with ibs, then had a colonoscopy, and the doctor determined there was nothing wrong internally....then there is nothing else to look at. Yes?? Somtimes when doctors dont know the answer they just keep spending your insurance money trying to get rich and attempt to exhaust your efforts. I would not go for another colon-doctor-needs-a-porsche-payment-scopy. How many doctors actually say....."i dont know the problem" ????

G

·
Has anyone benefited from a colonoscopy??? I would think if you had a problem with ibs, then had a colonoscopy, and the doctor determined there was nothing wrong internally....then there is nothing else to look at. Yes?? Somtimes when doctors dont know the answer they just keep spending your insurance money trying to get rich and attempt to exhaust your efforts. I would not go for another colon-doctor-needs-a-porsche-payment-scopy. How many doctors actually say....."i dont know the problem" ????

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think it is best to rule out serious disorders that may be present. I had my fist at 17 and another at 28, along with endoscopy, gastric emptying scan, and the usual blood work and stool samples. At least after all that I can rest assured that there is no serious problem....I hate to say it that way due to the fact that the medical community needs to take IBS as serious. Sorry for the wording. Anyway, I know the test sucks, (at least the prep does!) but don't play russian roulette with your health.Prayers for you

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think it is best to rule out serious disorders that may be present. I had my fist at 17 and another at 28, along with endoscopy, gastric emptying scan, and the usual blood work and stool samples. At least after all that I can rest assured that there is no serious problem....I hate to say it that way due to the fact that the medical community needs to take IBS as serious. Sorry for the wording. Anyway, I know the test sucks, (at least the prep does!) but don't play russian roulette with your health.Prayers for you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts