Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I had my ibs under control by using regular doses of immodium, then today at the seaside ate some fish and chips and ten minutes later had severe cramps and had to run the the toilet. Back to worrying about where the nearest toilet is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just thought I had my ibs under control by using regular doses of immodium, then today at the seaside ate some fish and chips and ten minutes later had severe cramps and had to run the the toilet. Back to worrying about where the nearest toilet is.
I understand what you are saying. I have not had a flare-up for a long time, been careful what I eat, and taking probiotics, a fiber, Vit. B and anything else which is supposed to be good for you, and still lat night had a terrible flare-up, so here i am again freaked out and wondering where the bathrooms are when I go anywhere. the dr. gave me a prescription instead of Imodium so used it la tonight to see if it would work. it calls for one every six hours so called the pharmacy and she said some people use two at a time, but if the dr. aid one use only one but no Imodium Now do not know if I should use it or continue with diaharea Is Imodium the best. I am stumped, and going on a large trip over the ocean the end of themonth and I am so darn worried nowI need help and cannot seem to get any when i go to the dr. frustratinghugs, Dee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what you are saying. I have not had a flare-up for a long time, been careful what I eat, and taking probiotics, a fiber, Vit. B and anything else which is supposed to be good for you, and still lat night had a terrible flare-up, so here i am again freaked out and wondering where the bathrooms are when I go anywhere. the dr. gave me a prescription instead of Imodium so used it la tonight to see if it would work. it calls for one every six hours so called the pharmacy and she said some people use two at a time, but if the dr. aid one use only one but no Imodium Now do not know if I should use it or continue with diaharea Is Imodium the best. I am stumped, and going on a large trip over the ocean the end of themonth and I am so darn worried nowI need help and cannot seem to get any when i go to the dr. frustratinghugs, Dee

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry to hear about your flare-up Jessie, but maybe it was just a bad fish and chips, I've had that happen to me. Or it may be the oil or fat they used that caused the trouble. Give it a few days, it may well settle. (Hope it wasn't in Cornwall, I live there!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally have found immodium to be the only thing that helps me, but unfortunately is not 100% so still have that cloud hanging over you. It is sooo frustrating that when you should be looking forward to your trip you have the burden of worrying about ibs. I have heard people take antidepressents to help, but if you are like me you are not at all depressed you are just sick and tired of the ibs. I am also sick of people saying that it is all in the mind. A friend of mine said it only occurs when I have an event coming up. This is not true, it is the only time that I have to discuss it with other people, as you do not want to talk about your bowel habits 24/7. I wish the doctors would take this condition more seriously and actually do some useful research.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it was Scarborough, I dont think the fish and chips were bad, but it is amazing how quickly your ibs can be triggered. It will probably be good for the hips if I stay away from fish and chips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I personally have found immodium to be the only thing that helps me, but unfortunately is not 100% so still have that cloud hanging over you. It is sooo frustrating that when you should be looking forward to your trip you have the burden of worrying about ibs. I have heard people take antidepressents to help, but if you are like me you are not at all depressed you are just sick and tired of the ibs. I am also sick of people saying that it is all in the mind. A friend of mine said it only occurs when I have an event coming up. This is not true, it is the only time that I have to discuss it with other people, as you do not want to talk about your bowel habits 24/7. I wish the doctors would take this condition more seriously and actually do some useful research.
I couldnt agree more with what your saying, im getting so fed up with people saying "its all in your head" or "why does it only seem to happen when we want to go anywhere?" As you said, its because i dont want to talk about my bowels all day everyday, i really wish people would understand more. I also find it quite funny when my friends go out for a curry and the next day spend quite a bit of time on the toilet; "welcome to my world" thats all i say!!!sorry to seem to bitter about the whole thing, its just that its not getting any easier to live

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sorry to hear about your flare-up Jessie, but maybe it was just a bad fish and chips, I've had that happen to me. Or it may be the oil or fat they used that caused the trouble. Give it a few days, it may well settle. (Hope it wasn't in Cornwall, I live there!)
Hi Peaches,For me the summer holidays always makes things worse for me (I am also Cornish born and bred) So many extra people, So many traffic jams making me late for work, no where to park, extra hours at work, extra days to work, then no food in the supermarket! etc... all causes me heaps more stress. I hate the holiday times.I also find that fish and chips can cause me major problems I think it must be the fat content as I find Roast potatoes have a similar effect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.