Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm used to having periods of relative regularity (once every 3 days is normal for me) and then crashing with major constipation once a month. I can break through that with Milk of Magnesia and get it started again, alternatively, I can use flaxmeal (ground flaxseed) and almost always have success with that. Now, while the Milk of Magnesia works as expected, nothing else does. I've had to resort to MoM 3 times in the last 2.5 weeks. Flaxmeal has rarely failed before, but this time, it's not helping.I don't know what the precise culprit for this episode of severe C is. A few things I've noticed: I'm always bloated and a bit tight down there, no matter what--doesn't matter what day it is or how complete my last bowel movement was... I'm *always* tight down there. I cannot determine a cause for that. (I'm not going to throw Gas-X at it and become dependent, just like I've become dependent on stool softeners--I need to know the cause.) As well, it's hard for me to sleep well because of all the spasming and bloating down there, so maybe lack of sleep doesn't help. I also deal with other symptoms, such as constant head pressure, which guarantees that good sleep is hard to come by.The other thing is I can almost "feel" where things go wrong when I try to have a bowel movement. I've been having the feeling to go lately, but once I try to use all the muscles down there, I feel a cloggage in the left side of my abdomen and muscles just start "spasming" in that area and it's like.. nothing can get past it. Just a bunch of musles vibrating, and then.. nothing. The more I strain, the more that area spasms, and then I get lightheaded if I continue. I've had this happen many times before, and usually the right kind of fiber and/or MoM can still break through that clog, but nonetheless, this precise feeling comes back time and time again... and every time I feel it again, that's when my Severe C arrives.Does anyone know what the "spasming of muscles" on the left side--which coincides with a "hold-up" down there--is all about?I can do a low sugar diet fine, but I've not been able to do a low wheat/low gluten diet, because, well, where will my fiber come from if not from a cereal grain?? My typical breakfast is cereal, and that's not gonna change, unless perhaps there is a gluten-free grain that has enough fiber?I've also tried probiotics in the past and the bloating was ridiculous, who can function like that?? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it??Please help,Bill Zenith

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wanted to add, anyone else find a bad bout of constipation causes misery, makes you more angry and pissed off at everything? Well it gets to me... always the little things in life that piss me off the most...hey well when you're so moody and temperamental like me, you can't help but get dragged down by these things...on the contrary, if i'm going with great regularity, my mood is typically a lot better.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It may be worth getting the pelvic floor tested and do biofeedback if you are tensing up down there when you should be relaxing.Have you tried peppermint tea? Of the antispasmodics peppermint is generally not constipating and that may help. (or take capsules if you can't take the taste of the tea).Have you tried adding magnesium supplement regularly? Sometimes a lower dose of magensium than MoM done every day can keep things moving. If you need more than 1000 mgs of magnesium daily you might want to try miralax (you can do too much magnesium over time) or add miralax to the magnesium.I don't know of anyone becoming dependent on simethicone? However Gas-X isn't also likely to do anything for the constipation.Gluten issuses more typically cause diarrhea, but all grains have some ability to make gas. Brown rice is gluten free and has the most digestible starch. If you can't find a whole grain rice cereal you can cook up a bunch of brown rice and make a hot cereal with it. Heat up the cooked rice with a bit of milk (or rice milk) in the microwave with a sweetener or fruit of your choice. You can also sometimes get cooked brown rice in a pouch that you just have to microwave for 90 seconds.Quinoa is another gluten free grain and some people like that as a change of pace from rice all the time. It also cooks up quicker than brown rice so may be good when you need a quick meal.Can you tolerate fruits with sorbitol in them? Apples, pears, plums (prunes) apricots, peaches, cherries? The sorbitol can loosen up stools.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gluten issuses more typically cause diarrhea, but all grains have some ability to make gas. Brown rice is gluten free and has the most digestible starch. If you can't find a whole grain rice cereal you can cook up a bunch of brown rice and make a hot cereal with it. Heat up the cooked rice with a bit of milk (or rice milk) in the microwave with a sweetener or fruit of your choice. You can also sometimes get cooked brown rice in a pouch that you just have to microwave for 90 seconds.Quinoa is another gluten free grain and some people like that as a change of pace from rice all the time. It also cooks up quicker than brown rice so may be good when you need a quick meal.Can you tolerate fruits with sorbitol in them? Apples, pears, plums (prunes) apricots, peaches, cherries? The sorbitol can loosen up stools.
Sometimes I have an apple every day. There appears to be some benefit, but sometimes I feel it can have the opposite effect and bind me up instead.I don't think any kind of rice is high in fiber; I would imagine quinoa is better this way?And of course, thanks for your response. You're always very helpful.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You can get the bran of the rice like you can get the bran of wheat if you want more than whole grain has.1 slice whole wheat bread is 1.7-2 grams1 cup cooked brown rice is 3.51 cup cooked quinoa has 5 grams1/2 cup All Bran (wheat) cereal is 10 grams1 cup Quaker rice bran cereal is 8 gramsNot sure how they shape those cereals but those are the standard serving sizes.Comparing any whole grain to something made just from the bran makes every whole grain look bad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you know that IBS can be treated with Western herbal remedies? The University of East London's Stratford Centre for Herbal Medicine is approved by the National Institute of Medical Herbalists and offers Western herbal medicines (plant remedies) to the public through a team of professionally qualified and experienced herbal practitioners. Their website is http://www.uel.ac.uk/herbalclinicTo celebrate its fifth birthday, the clinic is offering all new patients a free first consultation - a saving of £20 for each new patient. You can even book your consultation online at http://www.uel.ac.uk/herbalclinic/appointment.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts