Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ate WAY too much junk food last night (the joys of having an eating disorder I am battling) and am feeling like absolute rubbish today
Why Oh Why do I do this to myself? I know it's going to hurt while I'm shovelling it in my mouth and yet I feel compelled to shovel anyway
I am determined I will be good tonight, no more suffering at the hands of, well, myself

·
Registered
101 Posts
I feel your pain. When I go to supper I usually eat more than I should and it's not often what I know I should be having. And lately I've been finishing off my meals with an ice cream cone. Some nights I just feel horrible while other nights I seem fine. But when it hits, it hits hard. Good luck getting over your eating disorder. I know you can do it.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
This is why they say eat smaller meals throughout the day, although that can be hard to do sometimes. The more you eat at once the harder the system has to work, as well as the contents of the food like fats, grease, fiber, sugar which all add to the equation.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just a sugar addict. I do great all day, eating regularly, eating things that are good for me then bedtime hits and the lollie snakes and chocolate start calling my name and telling me how yummy they are. The harder I try to resist the more they call to me
I am however determined to banish my house of chocolate and lollie snakes. One cannot eat what is not in one's house me thinks
Thanks for the sympathy guys. I don't deserve it being my own fault and all but it's much appreciated anyway

·
Registered
222 Posts
Screamer:I have the same problem, which in my opinion comes from depriving myself of food that i really love.It is ok to binge occasionally, but on a regular basis would be devestating-because of our condition.When i feel the urge, typicallu i eat oatmeal/rolled oats, while not tasty - is filling.Bill

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I get the urge mainly when I'm feeling down, lonely or depressed so of course I'm feeling worse tummy wise at this time then load up on all sorts of junk I shouldn't eat when I'm feeling good!I've tried eating cereal at this time but it doesn't seem to stop me. I need a distraction I think. Being on here and posting is pretty good
My GP thinks my ED stemmed from a fear of food and like you I spend so long depriving myself during the day when I have stuff to do that I overload in the evenings when my head tells me it's okay to go to the toilet if I need to. IBS is certainly a weird beast of a thing to deal with.I wish I could have oatmeal. Oatmeal sends me to the loo pretty durn quickly. I tend to eat rice porridge though which actually tastes pretty nice. Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did the same thing to myself yesterday... had a big salad for lunch (major trigger) and pizza for dinner (another big trigger)... my IBS had been under control for over a week so I thought, "why not"well, this morning I found out why...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mmmm...chocolate! Yes, we find ourselves getting to a point when we know we'll be sick then we decide to indulge even more because we're going to be sick anyway. And a week later we'll do it again.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's a vicious cycle isn't it...I remember one of my worst times with IBS I sat down and ate two Twix bars and a kit kat, even though I was on a gluten-free diet. I just though "Well it can't exactly get any worse". And of course it did...Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I managed to control myself somewhat last night and am feeling a little better today. Unfortunately for me when I have a blowout it takes days for me to recouperate properly. Even worse I did this to myself with PMS so was all over the place IBS wise anyway

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, well, I am trying to find some affirmations or something to help me not eat what I know I shouldn't...maybe duck tape??! If I feel lousy I also tend to get angry and say well, I am going to eat something I like cause I am already messed up. Not a good strategy. Also, speaking of pms-ing...that is when the ibs-c is worse and also when I am hungriest, also I tend to eat when I am very tired and down...so really, need to just duck tape my mouth for 2 wks a month.... It is a hard cycle..and I know that I get very angry that I have to consider so much what I eat....also, takes days or a week or so to recover...It sucks, basically...

·
Registered
53 Posts
upparently the craving you experience for something sweet or that you consider nice an a treat will only last for approx 15 mins, so if you can distract yourself for that period of time your craving may disapear!! i heard that on you are what you eat. on channel four in uk.i do no how you feel though i battle with my cravings for chocolate, ice cream and diet coke. i had my first part of ice cream tonight. i gave up diet coke approx a month ago and miss it like mad, i don't think its a trigger but no very good for me anyway!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Duct tape! I love it. I might just have to go invest in some of that except I'd probably rip it off. Maybe I should get my jaw wired shut for 2 weeks a month, hehe. I crave sweet stuff every night, it's become a bit of a pattern but when I have PMS it's at it's worst! I'm a D though so while I don't go so much right before it I end up suffering big time once it arrives so eating stuff that gives me D anyway is a big no no that I continue to say yes to

·
Registered
232 Posts
I try to tell myself I'm eating almonds, and that they are good for me. Of course I'm eating Jordan Almonds, which are candy coated and a sugarfest. I love them though. And I buy the really good organic chocolate as if it's going to save me. My British friend tells me in the U.S. we eat #### chocolate, sounds gross since we talk about poop all day on here, but I'm wondering if dark chocolate doesn't aggravate IBS as much. Or if I'm just missing out on all the garbage in candy bars when I eat chocolate with lots of cocoa in it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah we've all done things that we know we shouldn't have. It's a free country and all we want to do is get a little bit of control back so we just say **** it.Strangely though on the odd occasion when I've done things I know are going to have consequences, they haven't. Which only proved to me that psychological factors were not responsible even though doctors love to say they are. cop out if you ask me, can't prove em wrong. If you can't back it up with proof I aint listening, is what we should all tell our Doc.Sorry, went off on a tangent there.P.S. Is it just me or would a spell checker come in handy?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that does this to myself! My husband thinks I'm an idiot sometimes....oneday I ate Mac n' Cheese and Chinese Food WITH Msg...and I paid dearly...it took me almost a week to recover....but like everyone was agreeing on..it's hard being so restricted diet wise..we just fall off the wagon!Marilyn,The higher the Cocoa content in a chocolate bar...the less likely it will be bad for you (depending on your triggers of course) because it has less #### added to it and less fat and caffeine. Pure Cocoa has no fat or caffeine....so small amounts should be okay!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not for me. The trigger for me IS the cocoa (it's from the amine family and I can't handle these at all). Even a single piece of chockie makes my mouth itch, then it gives me a sore throat as it goes down and within 15 minutes I start to gurgle and well, it's all downhill from there. I seem to do semi okay with Milky Bar (no cocoa) but I hate white chocolate. Isn't it always the way, we can't have what we love and we love what we can't have. Mmmm Maca's. Haven't had that for at least 6 months. Now you've got me craving

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yup! Been there - Done that. Last night in fact. Was so p'd off with work and stuff I filled my face with ice cream, nearly half a tub of it in fact. Felt sick afterwards, and don't feel to good this morning either. Stomach didn't like it at all but it helped at the time!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.