Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I've suffered from IBS-D for a few years, with it being so bad at one point that I was totally housebound and had to quit working. Then I started taking Caltrate and watching my diet, and I haven't had an attack in months. But I just read that calcium can cause other medications to bind to it, causing them not to absorb into your system. Does anyone know if this is true? I take a few medications, for example-hormone due to hysterectomy last year. Anyway, if anyone knows the answer to this I'd really appreciate it!Thanks!

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Calcium supplements are known to bind to SOME medicatons (do not know if yours is one of them, but if you look up the drug interactions it will tell you)What this means is you take the medication that is the problem at a different time from the Calcium. Usually like 1 hour before or 2-3 hours afterward.K.

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Calcium supplements are known to bind to SOME medicatons (do not know if yours is one of them, but if you look up the drug interactions it will tell you)What this means is you take the medication that is the problem at a different time from the Calcium. Usually like 1 hour before or 2-3 hours afterward.K.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Emtchickie...Hi ! Yes, I take the Calcium stuff as well and this is what I was told by the pharmacist and my gastro doc."Calcium can inhibit the absorption of some other drugs and told me specifically which ones of those I take. Therefore, you might want to wait 3-4 hours between the calcium and other meds."So, in answer to your question, it might be a good idea to talk with your pharmacist and medical pratitioner to ask about your specific meds.Be encouraged..there's no IBS (or pills) in Heaven !!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Emtchickie...Hi ! Yes, I take the Calcium stuff as well and this is what I was told by the pharmacist and my gastro doc."Calcium can inhibit the absorption of some other drugs and told me specifically which ones of those I take. Therefore, you might want to wait 3-4 hours between the calcium and other meds."So, in answer to your question, it might be a good idea to talk with your pharmacist and medical pratitioner to ask about your specific meds.Be encouraged..there's no IBS (or pills) in Heaven !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.