Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an endo-rectal ultrasound today and was told that I had damage to my external anal sphyncter-childbirth related. Have been telling doctors that my IBS started the day after delivery but was told it was all in my head-stress etc etc. My main symptom has been urgency but I'm sure that the stress of this has caused IBS as well. Don't know if I will be offered any treatment but was asked why it had taken 25yrs to get to ultrasound! How many years do you have to tell your doc you have a problem and not be listened to. I don't know whether to laugh or cry but maybe now I won't be told it is all it my head. I suspect after all these years I'll be told to live with it and keep taking the imodium and antidepressants.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wow Petra.. so sorry that no one DID ever listen to you til now. But I am glad that at least now you know. Here's hoping they have more ideas for you!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, -I think I now have multiple problems. One thing leads to another but if I had been listened to in the first place then maybe things wouldn't be so bad.. It is really hard to stand up against medical opinion but the reality is that often doctors don't care enough or don't have sufficient time to really get to the root of your problem.It is easy very easy to give the usual platitudes as supposedly everyone fits the mould. Well, they don't. I work for the NHS and I know that the system fails many miserably. I'm on a real downer tonight but feel frustrated that it took me 25yrs to get off the starting block.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well here's a ((((((((hug)))))))) to help make tonight NOT so bad....Try to make your self a decent weekend!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, BQ-it's nice to have friends that relate to this kinda frustration. I've often feel very alone with this.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
You MAY feel alone.. but the sad reality is... you are very far from it. At last look we have 35,313 registered members.. so next time you are feeling low and lonely.. try to pull that fact out and know... others are "with you". XO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts