Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The message I got from my doctor said that they want me to do a follow-up ultrasound in 3 months. Is this normal? What does it mean? If they found something major, I'd expect them to tell me about it now, not wait for 3 months. I have an upper GI x-ray next week, then an appointment with my doctor in early September to discuss all the results. I am a concerned, what could be going on?Thanks all,~a

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depending on what they are looking at usually the 3 month follow up is to see if the thing they were looking at changed over that time.Some things they can see on ultrasound (like some cysts) are things that can change over time and depending on what it looks like a few months later may determine what needs to be done about it (like if it goes away in 3 months vs gets better)I'm not entirely sure what they were looking for with you, so it is hard to know what particular reason they have for the follow-up, but usually it is they want to see if things stay the same as they are or have changed (a lot of "female" related cysts which can cause abdominal pain are often of the 2-3 months later they are gone sort of thing).K.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My suggestion would be to call back and ASK! You have a right to know what they saw and why the suggested follow-up. Ask tons of questions and be assertive about it.We are the only ones who can take charge of our health and health care!!!! We need to be proactive and get what are dollars are paying for with these tests. Dont give up until you have all the answers you need. I am NOTORIOUS for asking a zillion questions to every doctor I see. I even go in with a list of questions when I see a new doctor. That way I dont forget anything.My last GI I saw, I came in with a pain log and symptom chart of everything I was experiencing so he could read it and put it in my chart. This way, I knew I wouldnt leave anything out, and I knew he could see EXACTLY what I was experiencing. SOme may call that anal...I call it taking charge of my health!Godd luck!A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts