Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have IBS-D for the last 11 years of my life. I'm curious, is there anyone else who cannot eat most vegetables or fruits? I cannot eat lettuce, celery, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, oranges, apples, etc. I cannot eat them raw or cooked. As far as cucumbers and tomatoes go, it seems that the skin of the item causes extreme cramping and D. Anyone else have this issue? Just curious, and thanks to all on this site.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I can't eat many veggies either. The worst are lettuce and oranges. I can't eat most fruits, about the only thing that doesn't make me feel sick after eating them are bananas. I can eat more veggies though, but its better if they are cooked. I mostly stick to cooked carrots,zuchini, green beans and brocoli(seems like this would be bad but its ok for me).

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a real problem with fruits and veggies, especially with digesting them... everytime i eat salad or too much fruit i know that the next morning i will see much of what i ate in the toilet bowl... gross but true!green veggies, like lettuce or asparagus, are trigger foods for me... i usually will have to run to the bathroom before i'm even done eating

·
Registered
359 Posts
Certain greens do terrible things to me, but I can usually count on romaine lettuce to be okay. When dining out I know that if I order the chicken Caesar salad I shouldn't have any problems. The Spring baby greens are another story altogether. If my salad consists of them, I'm lucky if I can make it through the meal before I'm running for the bathroom.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've been tested for fructose intolerance and I don't have it and yet any fruit at all sends me running down my hallway to the little white room
I seem to be fine with most veges (even broccoli which is such a problem for others) so I pretty much forego my fruit and load up on extra veges to get my vitamins etc. It does suck though, I'd give anything for a nice piece of watermelon or a strawberry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Peter,I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms...I have problems with veggies too! I don't want to plug books and stuff here but a book call Eating for IBS by Heather Van Vorous...is the best thing that has even happened to me since my IBS got worse after my son was born.With the suggestions in the book I have managed to find ways to sneak in a little veg here and there. By the way apples are usually okay if you peel and core them and then eat then with some graham crackers...best snack in the world for me!Good Luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Peter,I, too, have trouble with fruits and veggies. In the fruit department, the only one I can eat is banana. I cannot eat fresh apples, but can eat applesauce.As far as veggies, I cannot eat any raw ones. But, I can eat cooked carrots and green beans. Lettuce is the absolute worst for me...comes out the same way it went in!Take care,MJ

·
Registered
94 Posts
Veggies caused me trouble for a long while. I think I worked myself into them. Like I would take a tomatoe, onion, mushrooms, olives and green pepper, and put them in a blender with my favorite salad dressing. I'd take the mixture and put it on a peice of fish or chicken, then serve on brown rice. It was a slow process, but by slowly bringing in veggies, my body seems to have gotten used to them.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:everytime i eat salad or too much fruit i know that the next morning i will see much of what i ate in the toilet bowl... gross but true!
That's normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.