Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I’ve suffered from uncontrollable flatulence (foul-smelling), bloating, cramps and frequent diarrhea for more than a year. Initially I got GERD testing (Upper Endoscopy, Barium Radiography, and Ultrasounds) and found gallstones; 5 months ago, the GI doctor recommended getting it out, which in despair of my symptoms I agreed. After the surgery I kept the same symptoms, well, the diarrhea was more frequent. I then turned to Naturopathy, which initially treated for IBS, but didn’t work. Then the ND ‘tried’ Candida overgrowth (Candida killers; Parasite killers; Colon/Liver/Kidney Detox and Probiotics) which alleviate the problem a bit. Also he advised a free-sugar, no bread, no yeast diet that’s very hard to follow -- I’ve lost 30 Lbs because of this --. After 2 months I gave up, as I haven’t seen any improvement, and this stuff is expensive.I got back with the GI and was negatively tested for IBS, Celiac disease and Giardia/Cryptospurida. He was intrigued for the weight loss and ordered a CAT Scan.Needless to say are the workplace effects: people avoid me, and makes comments, so I have entered in a depressive mood. I think I first need to get my gas problem fixed, to then heal my mind and soul.Have you any suggestions on what else to try?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tony13, sounds like you are on the right path, keep working with your GI doc and see what he/she comes up with. (Although most of us on here haven't had much luck going that route, who knows, maybe you will have a doctor that actually understands)Read through many of the searches on this site, you may find some advice that works for you. Everyone seems to respond differently to different things.This problem is very hard on your mind and soul for sure, we just have to be stronger than the "normal" people I guess...Good luck, let us know how you are doing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tony, I am a dietitian who works daily with patients such as you, and our office administers a blood test to determine which foods are causing the problem - we test 150 different foods and chemicals (such as food colorings, aspartame, etc.) It works wonderfully and most people get immediate relief from their symptoms (7-10 days). If you want to learn more, you can go the the website of the lab that administers the test - www.nowleap.com or if you have any questions, you can email me at ibsdietitian###gmail.com Insurance covers a portion of it much of the time and that can be checked out ahead of time. I wish everyone knew about this test. I have had over 100 patients so far, and all of them who have been willing to eliminate certain foods from their diet, have gotten much better, if not completely well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi TexasMomI had allergy test from a local allergist who seemed to know what he was doing. He said I dont have allergies other than maye minor ones to dust etc. However I get very sick from almost any type of food once it breaks down deep in me. Is it possible this guy really didnt do the right testing. He gave me like 100 shots. Should I start over elsewhere?Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Micro! There is a difference between allergies and food sensitivities - it's a different immune response (IgE vs. other types of antibodies such as IgG, T cells etc.) Therefore, a food allergy test won't identify which foods are causing your IBS symptoms.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:What you say is very true.
No, it's completely false.
quote:There is a difference between allergies and food sensitivities -
Yeah, the first one exists, but is rare and the second one doesn't exist at all and neither one of them has anything to do with the problem being described.
quote:If you want to learn more, you can go the the website of the lab that administers the test - www.nowleap.com
Spare us.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
It's not clear if your problem is odor, volume or both. I am assuming it's odor since excess volume is very rare and the two are not related. If it is odor, then I'm not sure there is any dietary manipulation could make. You'd have to reduce the amount of sulfur-containing foods, but that wouldn't really be easy to do. You could look into Pepto-Bismol and see what effect that has.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flux, I've tried all over the counter and Internet against gas with no luck. Naturopathy didn't work; Gastroenterologist didn't find anything after Endoscopy, CAT Scan, Blood and stool analysis. I don't know what else to try.I even have seen the shrink, and at least the depressive mood was reversed, which at least is better to fight against this malady.Any other ideas to try?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I've tried all over the counter and Internet against gas with no luck.
That includes Pepto-Bismol? (I assuming again the real problem is odor.) What about the filter, http://www.gasbgon.com/ ?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Don't waste your money. It doesn't work
Which one? Both have been demonstrated to work in real experiments.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you tried aloe vera juice? I drink Fruit of the Earth wild berry aloe vera juice that I get at Wal-Mart. Helps me to have better belches. Don't know if it would help with your particular problem, but it is something you might try.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HI, yes I've tried Pepto and Pepcid and tons of other stuff. I've seen a naturopath and among the medicine prescribed is aloe vera, unfortunatelly it didn't work. The malodor decreased, but still present.Instead of gasbgon I use undertec garments, but somehow the gas seeps out.... This is like really bad dream, but I don't know what else to try.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Tony13, I have been following your posts on the medhelp.org board as well.Welcome to this board, hope to see more posts from you, you seem to have a lot of experience with this and have some good thoughts on this subject.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Smelly, I think I found the right forum to get help in my chronic flatulence problem.Here's the extensive list of Over The Counter, and other remedies I've tried:Simethicone: Gas-X, Mylanta, Imodium Gas, ...Peptobismol, Pepcid, Imodium, Beano, lactaidCharcoal: CharcoCaps, Carbo Vegetalis CapsChlorophyll: Innermint, BodyMintHerbal: Botisol, Peppermint Oil Caps, Devrom Caps, Fennel, GingerNaturopathic: Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, Colon Detox, Psyllium Husk Powder, ClarkiaHomeopathy: Gasalia, Hylands GasCharcoal Filters: Undertec garment, FlatD padsHunters Odor removers Enemas, Water, Water+Clarkiaand probably more I can't remember.Some of them change the odor; Naturopathy decreased the power, though didn't eliminate it.I've seen a Gastroenterologist and he hasn't found anything anormal ( I got Upper Endoscopy, Abomen RX (Barium), Ultrasounds, Abdominal CAT Scan. Tested for Celiac (negative) and parasites (Giardia & Cryptospurida).I got so depresed for the social rejection I finally accepted I needed counseling, who immediatly referred me to a shrink.I'm taking Celexa and Risperdal with excelent results. Well, the gas is still there.My diet: Breakfast: Oatmeal; Lunch: Ham/Turkey Lettuce Salad; Dinner: Chicken w/ Rice, Tea, some Coffee.I avoid Carbs (Wheat Bread), Starches, Sugar, Dairy. when I cheat, My unmerciful gut punishes me next day... I haven't had a tasty/quality food in more than 6 months...The good thing about the diet and Colon Detox is I lost 40 Lbs, mostly of American Junk Food.Options I still consider to try:- Hidro-Colonics: Super enemas- a CSDA ( Comprehensive Stool Digestive Analysis) - a Shaman/Healer- Last but not least, an Intestinal trasplant -- donors needed --Suggestions are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi tony, My name is brit I am a texas native female who defintley understands what you are going thru. I've been dealing with the issue since i was seven years old i am now 22 and it is becoming harder and harder to cope. I really have no friends all of course there are the people who occassional pretend to be my friend. but the next thing i know there is a rumor about me and I know they started. Being a woman makes is so much harder to deal with. I sometimes feel my woman hood has been ripped out of me. I pass gas every 20 seconds and it smells horriable. I received all kinds of remarks for as long as i can remember. I sometimes think i've been morphed into this person with steel walls blocking my views of the outside world. I'm really just rambeling on i don't even know if your online.
quote:Originally posted by Tony13:Hi Smelly, I think I found the right forum to get help in my chronic flatulence problem.Here's the extensive list of Over The Counter, and other remedies I've tried:Simethicone: Gas-X, Mylanta, Imodium Gas, ...Peptobismol, Pepcid, Imodium, Beano, lactaidCharcoal: CharcoCaps, Carbo Vegetalis CapsChlorophyll: Innermint, BodyMintHerbal: Botisol, Peppermint Oil Caps, Devrom Caps, Fennel, GingerNaturopathic: Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, Colon Detox, Psyllium Husk Powder, ClarkiaHomeopathy: Gasalia, Hylands GasCharcoal Filters: Undertec garment, FlatD padsHunters Odor removers Enemas, Water, Water+Clarkiaand probably more I can't remember.Some of them change the odor; Naturopathy decreased the power, though didn't eliminate it.I've seen a Gastroenterologist and he hasn't found anything anormal ( I got Upper Endoscopy, Abomen RX (Barium), Ultrasounds, Abdominal CAT Scan. Tested for Celiac (negative) and parasites (Giardia & Cryptospurida).I got so depresed for the social rejection I finally accepted I needed counseling, who immediatly referred me to a shrink.I'm taking Celexa and Risperdal with excelent results. Well, the gas is still there.My diet: Breakfast: Oatmeal; Lunch: Ham/Turkey Lettuce Salad; Dinner: Chicken w/ Rice, Tea, some Coffee.I avoid Carbs (Wheat Bread), Starches, Sugar, Dairy. when I cheat, My unmerciful gut punishes me next day... I haven't had a tasty/quality food in more than 6 months...The good thing about the diet and Colon Detox is I lost 40 Lbs, mostly of American Junk Food.Options I still consider to try:- Hidro-Colonics: Super enemas- a CSDA ( Comprehensive Stool Digestive Analysis) - a Shaman/Healer- Last but not least, an Intestinal trasplant -- donors needed --Suggestions are greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.