Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi I'm new here I think have some kind of gastrointestinal disorder/syndrome or maybe even cancer that I haven't quite figured out yet. I'm sort of confused because I don't match up perfectly with any of those 4 things listed here ->( http://www.ibsgroup.org/symptoms ) I'm wondering if it's possible to have IBS or Ulcerative Colitis with slightly different symptoms than those listed? I've always had constipation/digestion problems I'm 19, but for the past two weeks my stomachs behavior has gotten so painful and frustrating that I'm barely able to function through out the day. Maybe some people here with some insight could tell me if it my problems sound like IBS.Alternating Diarrhea/Constipation? Yes (Had diarrhea for 4 days, then constipation for last 10)Abdominal Pain? Yes mostly gas pains, but I had very painful cramping that sent me to the hospital when I was having diarrhea Bloating? Yesmucus present? Maybepersistent diarrhea? Noloss of appetite? I can eat fine in the mornings, but I lose my appetite from gas pains at night.rectal bleeding? Yes bright red blood in stool, but I had a CBC and I'm not anemic. It only happens when I'm constipated and straining so it's most likely from fissures/hemorrhoids.Fistulas? NoFever? NoMalabsorption? NoWeight loss? Maybe nothing significant, but not eating dinner isn't helping.Fatigue? Occasionally yes I've woken up with bloodshot eyes for the past 2 mornings even after getting a good 8-9 hours of sleep.Flat/ribbon stools? YesI'm scheduling an appointment with a gastroenterologist for sometime this week and I guess I'll see what they say my general doctor has been useless and has only worried me more.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS is altered stool consistency/frequency with abdominal pain.The presentation does vary and the page you look at includes various presentations not all symptoms are in all people (like you can't have both have constipation that alternates with diarrhea and nothing but diarrhea every day. Both can be seen in IBS but most people do not have both things.Rectal bleeding with constipation is usually from a hemorrhoid or fissure as the hard, hard to pass stool irritated those as it passes. But it is good to have that double checked.Usually with UC you will see bloody diarrhea and the blood is older and mixed in as you usually tend to have bleeding higher up, not just at the end.IBS is often more painful than UC. Severe pain doesn't mean it has to be something other than IBS. However once the symptoms get to the point they interfer with your daily life it is worth seeing the GI doctor and getting treatment for it, even if it is "just" IBS.Weight loss from not eating is normal weight loss. Some people with IBDs (especially crohns) can eat way more calories than they need and still lose weight like Oprah on a liquid protein shake diet.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain is a major symptom of IBS. It is the most common cause of abdominal pain.Constipation tends to make hemorrhoids or fissures act up whether it is just occasional constipation anyone can have or constipation associated with IBS.However constipation making a hemarrhoid bleed is not the one and only thing that can cause that, so the doctor should take a look.Hemorrhoids or fissures that bleed a lot or bleed frequently may need more treatment than you can buy over the counter in the pharmacy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have some new symptoms and some of the old ones have vanished. For the past 4 days I've had normal odd smelling dark green stool with absolutely no blood and I've had painless, non irritated, non sight effecting bloodshot eyes for maybe the past 7 days. I'm sort of perplexed by the green stool I've read all of the reasons that can cause it to occur and none of them apply to me unless taking laxatives 5-10 days ago can effect my stool today.If I go back in to the doctor with this information will it help narrow my condition down or will they still just ignore me and try to get me back in to pay for a colonoscopy?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes green is just the stool is moving a little faster than the bacteria can change the color from it's start color of green/yellow to brown.While the laxative shouldn't be giving you diarrhea today, sometimes people's GI tracts move faster than others.If you take vitamins with iron in them, that can make it green. Not sure how much green food you eat, or if you eat any food with food dyes in them (some will turn green with the pH changes in the gut).Not sure why the eyes are effected. Could be dry air (if the furnace is running at all where you are) or something started blooming/other eye irritant going on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for the reassuring replies I have one last concern as I'm starting to feel better. My blood in the stool has been gone for a week, stomach cramps are mostly gone and my appetite is back.But I'm slightly concerned about weight loss. I'm a little overweight at (6"3) I weighted 204 with my clothes and shoes on last Tuesday when I went to visit the GI(so around 202.5 w/o them) Today I weighted myself 7 days later and I'm down to 198.... should I be worried or is this normal weight loss if I took laxatives last Saturday/Sunday/Monday/Tuesday? I ate pretty normally and I'd say I had about 2000 calories a day since last Tuesday but I had a lot to empty out after being constipated for two weeks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You can lose a few pounds in stool. I always weigh a bit less after a normal bowel movement so it could be that.Weight can fluxuate by as much as 5 pounds just from how much water you happen to be carrying around (so how much salt you ate, how much carbs you happen to be storing in muscles/liver right now, etc.) That is why some weight loss programs seem to have that instant gratification effect. You will drop several pounds of water weight but that comes right back ones you stop highly restricting things and the water comes back.Did you actually write down everything you ate and measured everything to get calorie count or just did a guestimation? People can be way off either high or low depending on how they usually eat and how good at estimating things they really are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My calorie count is just a guesstimate I've been eating way less than I used to so I just picked somewhere between 1,500 and 2,500. I've been having a breakfast bar in the morning, a snack or two during lunch/mid day and usually a normal sized dinner with very little exercise. But I feel like my face is definitely thinner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it's a month later now after my "flare up" started and I'm still undiagnosed. The doctors I've visited haven't told me anything useful or suggested anything that might help, but atleast the scary symptoms that I was experiencing are gone. The blood/various odd stool shapes and colors have been gone for 14 days now. I'm feeling pretty normal now besides the occasional fatigue.... from my very easily upset stomach with abdomen pain+gas pains, headaches and sudden diarrhea/loose stools after eating a meal.I thought/think I might have some kind of food intolerance, but my problems usually seem to start very quickly after eating a meal not hours/days later. Sometimes I'll instantly feel bad within 30-60 minutes of eating a meal.I'm sort of confused on how IBS is diagnosed and why my doctors haven't considered it or mentioned it. I think they were too caught up with the blood in my stool which turned out to be from fissures+constipation. Are there any tests that I can ask for to narrow things down to show that it's not gastroenteritis or an infection to help figure this out? My CBC showed that everything is normal including my WBC and that I had a perfectly ideal hemoglobin level so I was barely bleeding.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion .... meaning other GI diseases are ruled out before an IBS diagnosis is made.See this for more info on Diagnosis: (It's a tab from our menu bar above here.. loads of other info with those tabs...so check them out)http://www.ibsgroup.org/diagnosisHere a comparative symptoms chart (also from the menu bar above us here):http://www.ibsgroup.org/symptomsAlso from the menu bar above.. info on Diagnostic Tests:http://www.ibsgroup.org/tests10 Good Questions to Ask your Dr.:http://www.webmd.com/ibs/questions-doctor-ibsHope this helps

·
Registered
317 Posts
There are some stool tests they can do to find out if you have an infection or not. However, if you did have an infection that started your symptoms, whatever caused it might have been gone by now and you're just experiencing side-effects. Were you bleeding after you finished the BM or at the end of it? That is normally almost 99% caused by fissures and hemoroids. If the blood was coming out together with the stool, then the doctors need to check that out to rule other things. However in a lot of cases that doesn't really mean anything either. I have a friend who was having bloody stools and he went for a colonoscopy and they found nothing wrong, not even a fissure or hemoroids. Just nothing. They still don't know why he was bleeding and the blood stools went away after some time.Did they check your gallbladder? Amazing enough, if you have a lazy or not properly working gallbladder, it can give you just the same symptoms as IBS or make your symptoms worse. I am saying this because I read you start feeling nausea 30 minutes after eating and that is usually when the gallbladder kicks in and because you have head aches. A quick scan should be able to show if it's working properly or not so it is not a very difficult thing to get checked out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I'm headed back to the doctor again this week and my problems sound pretty consistent with IBS and the pain is usually associated with eating. There's a very small amount of things that I'm able to eat lately without regretting it. But I really cannot afford to get a colonoscopy, is it possible to diagnose IBS without excluding what they find from a colonoscopy? The only "red flag" that I've had to suggest something besides IBS was the blood in my stool, but it only lasted for 4 days and it was when I was extremely constipated with jagged stool that hurt to pass. I definitely fit within these 3 rules that are mentioned to diagnose IBS.1. Relieved with defecation; and/or2. Onset associated with a change in frequency of stool; and/or3. Onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
But I really cannot afford to get a colonoscopy, is it possible to diagnose IBS without excluding what they find from a colonoscopy?
Ask your Dr that question. It can depend on many things.. so asking your Dr is best.
The only "red flag" that I've had to suggest something besides IBS was the blood in my stool
That really wasn't a red flag if it was caused by hemmies. And just for the record the kind of blood in stool that is concerning is the kind you can't see with your eyes. Concerning "blood in stool" is only seen during a stool analysis.... done via a stool sample... in a lab.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That really wasn't a red flag if it was caused by hemmies. And just for the record the kind of blood in stool that is concerning is the kind you can't see with your eyes. Concerning "blood in stool" is only seen during a stool analysis.... done via a stool sample... in a lab.
Sorry for the incessant questions, but because of my lack of health insurance/inability to afford countless doctor visits I'm pretty sure I'll end up not getting a concrete answer on what's wrong with me. (unless it eventually puts me in the hospital) When I visited my GI earlier this month and got an anoscopy/DRE they didn't find any hemorrhoids/fissures, but I haven't seen any blood since the day I visited my GI (constipation ended that day and switched over to loose/D) He still thought that it was fissures though and he said that fissures can sometimes heal incredibly fast so it's possible to re-open up when you have a rough BM which afterward closes/heals up over night. Which is why I'm not sure if it's a red flag or not.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Blood from hemorrhoids or fissures is NOT IN ANY WAY a red flag you have worse than IBS.Bleeding from those things, mean you have those things. Not that you can't have IBS and must have something that will put you in the hospital or worse.Completely 100% totally normal healthy people who will only die if hit by a bus can get bleeding from those things, especially if they have a very normal occasional bout of constipation, which most people get from time to time.If you are stressing out about this or getting any anxiety at least see if you can check out a stress reduction book from the library. A lot of those techniques can do a lot of good and stressing out about things will make any IBS symptoms you have a lot worse than they would otherwise be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the stress advice, but I've already calmed down from the initial hysteria. But I've been having some new problems for the past few days that I haven't seen connected to any specific ailment that I've looked up. So I assume they're just general problems from gas/stomach issues?For the past few days I've been having some strange upper back pain that seems to go away after BM's/after passing gas. And I've been feeling some pain in my diaphragm about 4 inches up from my belly button, right between my ribs when going to the bathroom. It's not an intense pain, it's more like general discomfort/pressure. Does this just sound like typical gas/indigestion problems?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Yep, if the bend in the colon on the right under the ribs is in pain that can radiate to the upper back. As long as it isn't severe I wouldn't worry, and that it goes away after a BM/passing gas generally indicates IBS as that is a classic IBS symptom and not a symptom of much of anything else.The colon then goes across the top of the abdomen and that sounds like it may be causing some pain around there. Usually stomach pain actually feels more like it is in your chest than down in the abdomen.IBS pain may not be gas. It can be activity related rather than I have gas. Although sometimes gas does make it worse so try limiting starch and other gassy foods like beans for a week or two and see if that helps. Or add probiotics as when you get the right one going in there they stop digesting carbs before they reduce it all the way to gases.The upper right quadrant pain radiating into the upper back-- if it gets to the several hours of severe pain, especially after a fatty meal and with nausea or vomiting means it is time to get the gall bladder checked out. But pain from the bend in the colon right next to the gall bladder uses the same nerves so sometimes does the same tricks.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Kathleen is correct as hemmys and fissures are extremely common. Many people have fissures and are completelyunaware of it as most people do not look at their toiletpaper after wiping. I was taught to by my father (formerphysician.) With that said, chronic fissures that are insensitive to painis a concern as this may be Crohn's. The only way to seeif one is insensitive to pain is to have a colo-rectal surgeontap on the fissures during an anoscopy (simple procedurethat does not require any prep or anesthesia.)I recommend to anyone reading this to get fissures correctedbefore they become a problem as infected fissures are a commoncause of perianal abscesses and these abscesses typically (67% of the time) will form into a fistula - which almost always requiressurgery or multiple surgeries.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Bojacks,May I ask your age?Anytime there is blood in the stool, every single doctor will want the patient to do a colonoscopy (or capsule endoscopy.) Even with this, they will probably want an additional diagnostic test.Since they did not find hemmy/fissures and since you had blood in the stool, then you do indeed need a colonoscopy or capsule test. I certainly emphatise with your plight of not having enough moneyto cover the test but it is possible for you to apply for financial assistance through a particular hospital. Most hospitals, non-profit orfor profit, have these programs as long as they are not on the vergeof bankruptcy. They will look at your income and rent, etc, then tellyou your discount - anywhere from 50% to 100% off the bill.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.