Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm really scared because I've never seen what I've just seen before. I just had a "spasm" with D. These have happened a few times this week, all in the evening. i stopped a bulking drink 2 wks ago and the doc said it could be because of this. anyway....aside from D and passing water, there was the remains of my salad I had. All I've had today is 2 hard boiled eggs, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, parsely, fizzy orange drink, peanuts. I live on my own and this is the place I know I can come for support and help...Any advice or comfort you can give me is great. Here in England it's about 4 hours until bed time

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi thanks soooo much for your help. I'm following a low starch diet so it means lots of salad and vegetables and fruit. have only been following it for 5 days though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Vicky,Many people have undigested and recognisable foodstuff with D-attacks. I'm on a low-starch/low-carb diet and the first week I was on it I did have even more D, but everything became much better from the second week on. It is important to drink a lot of water though, about 8 glasses per day (wouldn't really recommend fizzy drinks, especially not when you're having more D) and you do need to eat more proteine when you're not eating carbs/starches, just two eggs might not be enough, do you eat meat?.And do take a good multivitamin-supplement when you're on such a limited diet. If you have an idea the salad is hard to digest for you, you could try eating other vegetables instead (green beans for example)Fay

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks sooooo much for that post. im a vegetarian so i cant have meat or fish. have u found a low starch diet has helped you? would be good to "compare notes". think i might stick with the diet and see how next wk pans out. it scared me though when i could see lettuce and it was painful. i took some lopermide (prescription strength) because it was pretty bad.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
This is normal.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
healthy people

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks pitzi. ive been eating a lot of lettuce this wk as i have had a salad every day with cucumber etc as i LOVE salad! Prehaps i should sotp it for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Undigested food is probably caused more by lack of chewing than anything wrong with the gut per se.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I find it so funny that it's the lettuce, complete and whole floating around in the bowl after a diarrhea attack. I guess cuz it's mostly cellulose, and we (unlike cows) can't break it down to absorb, but it usually doesn't look so complete! I'm starting to relax and laugh at this disease... I had an awful attack about an hour ago. WHEW!!! All panting, doubled over struggling to take my meds. I find the hiking helps, and I started running every other day, and hiking every other day. Think I'll even take my friends free pass to the gym (Linda Evans) for two weeks and do some aerobics. I've been eating everything and feeling great. I like someone's idea of eating dinner in two parts, slowly while resting.. I am also finding it AMAZING how many people have this disease! Almost everyone... oh, yea, my mom had that, oh I had that, oh my husband has that.... makes me feel good this somewhat typical.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi there, Think I'll try chewing more when I have some later and see what happens. Thanks for the idea. It was pretty small amounts of lettuce tho which made it look even more disgusting!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I guess if you want to get the most out of the nutrients of the lettuce, puree it even, or mix it with special enzymes? It's just that with diarrhea, the body is trying to get rid of the wastes SO FAST, that the stuff that might take longer to break down, maybe further along in the gut just shoots out untouched.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.