Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this kind of post early in the morning, but I have wondered what it means when you see undigested food in the stool. This only happens to me when I have an IBS flare. Tania

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Occasional undigested food in the stool is actually a normal occurrence.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Occasional undigested food in the stool is actually a normal occurrence.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Tania:I think this was overlooked in your question: _________________________________"This only happens to me when I have an IBS flare. " _________________________________It is true that certain foods will at certain times pass through without being fully broken down. I also am assuming that you men by "flare" that this is a diarrheic episode.The now-quantified reaction of immunocytes that occurs primarily within the small bowel not only alters the transit time, thus shortening it and the time allowed for the gut to perform its normal digestive functions, but the mediators released also alter certain characteristics of the interface between the lumen of the intestine and the destination structures in the lacteals for the specific purpose of REDUCING ABOSRPTION.This is because an immunoprotective mechanism is accidentally triggered which is supposed to make the GI tract flush out and is supposed to reduce the absorption of things from the intestinal tract so as to minimize invasion of the body by pathogens.So it is the about the simplest thing in the world to understand why there is more undigested food passing through during an episode. That is what is supposed to happen.Trouble is, it has been provoked by some dietary componenets you have lost some oral tolerance to, instead of by a pathogen. This creates this state of heightened sensitivity or twitchy-bowels just like the twitchy airways of asthmatics. The mechanisms are very very similar.In between episodes transit time and absorption return towards normalcy. How close to normalcy for you depends upon (2) primary variables...is any dysbiosis present which alters digestion and immune function of the small bowel, and how much time is passing, if any, between exposure to recative foods or additives.Most victims shpwing these symptom sets are consuming them regularly in small quantities so you can detect a low level but definitely-present sign(s) of chronic aberrant immune response in the small bowel even during an apparently asymptomatic period. Since dose-time relationships can cause this to be cyclic on that basis, not just on acute exposure to a strongly provoking substance ( so called triggers).Anyway this is just part of a normal process of protection that has gone awry and produces this set of symptons associated with d-predominance and cyclic d&c.Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Tania:I think this was overlooked in your question: _________________________________"This only happens to me when I have an IBS flare. " _________________________________It is true that certain foods will at certain times pass through without being fully broken down. I also am assuming that you men by "flare" that this is a diarrheic episode.The now-quantified reaction of immunocytes that occurs primarily within the small bowel not only alters the transit time, thus shortening it and the time allowed for the gut to perform its normal digestive functions, but the mediators released also alter certain characteristics of the interface between the lumen of the intestine and the destination structures in the lacteals for the specific purpose of REDUCING ABOSRPTION.This is because an immunoprotective mechanism is accidentally triggered which is supposed to make the GI tract flush out and is supposed to reduce the absorption of things from the intestinal tract so as to minimize invasion of the body by pathogens.So it is the about the simplest thing in the world to understand why there is more undigested food passing through during an episode. That is what is supposed to happen.Trouble is, it has been provoked by some dietary componenets you have lost some oral tolerance to, instead of by a pathogen. This creates this state of heightened sensitivity or twitchy-bowels just like the twitchy airways of asthmatics. The mechanisms are very very similar.In between episodes transit time and absorption return towards normalcy. How close to normalcy for you depends upon (2) primary variables...is any dysbiosis present which alters digestion and immune function of the small bowel, and how much time is passing, if any, between exposure to recative foods or additives.Most victims shpwing these symptom sets are consuming them regularly in small quantities so you can detect a low level but definitely-present sign(s) of chronic aberrant immune response in the small bowel even during an apparently asymptomatic period. Since dose-time relationships can cause this to be cyclic on that basis, not just on acute exposure to a strongly provoking substance ( so called triggers).Anyway this is just part of a normal process of protection that has gone awry and produces this set of symptons associated with d-predominance and cyclic d&c.Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I pretty much understand the process--key words are Absorbtion and Transit Time. Mine happens during D and I am a cyclic D/C person. Thanks all for the replies.Tania

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I pretty much understand the process--key words are Absorbtion and Transit Time. Mine happens during D and I am a cyclic D/C person. Thanks all for the replies.Tania

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.