Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....I'm sincerely sorry for the subject matter of this posting.....actually I thought a perfect time to post it would be now....since I am NOT feeling any pain whatsoever....and my head is thoroughly together....or at least I think it is.....I know that many of you have been going through IBS symptoms for weeks/months/years....and my usual bouts with it are for as little (but what seem like eternities) for eight weeks max.....well....this time is different. It all started with a bladder obstruction this time around....approximately eighteen weeks ago. Through my usual cystoscope/dilation, the process of opening up my bladder neck did not "work"....as it has in the past. I guess my bladder is just getting weaker as I get older.....so now I'm due for another operation to slit my bladder neck to see if that alleviates the problem of the urine retention.....through this....and unimaginable stress in my personal life....I've also been going through major IBS symptoms....or so I think it must be as so many tests have ruled out anything else.....although I do not have diarrhea or constipation as I have had in the past....I am going through pain which is so very hard to describe to nearly anyone. I try and try....but it sometimes seems hopeless to get the point across....to my doctors....friends....family. Some even make non-stop insensitive "jokes" about my symptoms which makes everything all the more unbearable.....the pain is excruciating....and is nearly unbearable. I break out into sweats from it....and think I seriously will die on the spot.....I'm a male who works in the legal profession in Chicago....and do suffer from panic attacks....which exacerbates the problem.....presently I just reach for what I think might work when I can't take the pain any longer. The pain, by the way, is located in my bladder, abdomen, sides, under my rib cage, pelvic region and my back. But even though it's specific pain....it's still very hard to exactly describe because it is so weird and different. I mean....sometimes it feels like burning lead....or burning oil. It's just....so hard to describe or pinpoint exactly what kind of pain you're trying to convey.....when I have a bowel movement....sometimes the pain (when it wasn't even there to begin with) is so incredible afterwards that I don't think I'm going to "make it"....but I just hang in there.....I read about peppermint capsules....but can't find them in the stores. I read about the hypnosis CDs which I would love to own....and I mean LOVE to own....and try out....but presently I can't afford them since there has been some other unfortunate and unforeseen circumstances in my family. But it is on my list of goals to obtain these CDs so that I can see if they might help.....I can't sleep at night because of the pain....so I get up....take two Tylenol and a Xanax....and hope for the best. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.....also....when I eat anything....I go through so much pain, I practically double over. And then....if I eat the very same thing the next day....no pain whatsoever! Baffling!....the reason I'm writing is just to get the words out. I'm pretty new to this board....and I have no one else to turn to. I'm so sad at the moment that my thoughts last night were just to end it all. Yes....in the middle of the night....in bed....all I could think of was to escape from this pain. I know that's the coward's way out....especially when I see on the board how many of you have suffered for so many years....but....well....I know you know what I mean.....just a kind word might help me....and, seriously, I don't want to die....but I so much want the pain to end....and to be able to smile once again.....thank you for reading....and a wonderful new year to you all!....Doug....francisalbertsinatra###interaccess.com

·
Registered
197 Posts
Could the pain be from the bladder problem? What does the doc say. Could there be a connection? I'm sorry things are going so bad for you. Maybe try some deep breathing excercises to alleviate stress. If your having serious thoughts about just having enough...we all have times when we just have had enough but then something happens. Sometimes funny, sometimes beautiful, but it makes you know it's worth it. But if you've reached the end of your rope, you need to talk to someone. A close friend, a dr., or a clergyman. My thoughts are with you. (((hugs))).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Could the pain be from the bladder problem? What does the doc say. Could there be a connection? I'm sorry things are going so bad for you. Maybe try some deep breathing excercises to alleviate stress. If your having serious thoughts about just having enough...we all have times when we just have had enough but then something happens. Sometimes funny, sometimes beautiful, but it makes you know it's worth it. But if you've reached the end of your rope, you need to talk to someone. A close friend, a dr., or a clergyman. My thoughts are with you. (((hugs))).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Doug, hang in there... you are not alone. Keep positive thoughts. You know what I try to do: take it one day at a time. My pain has been there since August (as I mentioned before on your other post) and I haven't had too many days off. Have you tried to exercise or is the thought of it turning you off? A lot of people on the BB said that it helps them... My New Year's resolution is to do at least 20 minutes of excercise per day. Hope I can do it.Good luck and feel free to write more posts if you think it might help you better understand your condition.
Nat

·
Registered
517 Posts
Doug, hang in there... you are not alone. Keep positive thoughts. You know what I try to do: take it one day at a time. My pain has been there since August (as I mentioned before on your other post) and I haven't had too many days off. Have you tried to exercise or is the thought of it turning you off? A lot of people on the BB said that it helps them... My New Year's resolution is to do at least 20 minutes of excercise per day. Hope I can do it.Good luck and feel free to write more posts if you think it might help you better understand your condition.
Nat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....trots....and Nat!....thank you for your posts!....as you can see....it's moments like these(when I'm feeling no pain)....and posts like yours (for which I thank you)....that are moments which I truly cherish!....thank you again for your extremely kind words!....Doug....francisalbertsinatra###interaccess.com

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
....trots....and Nat!....thank you for your posts!....as you can see....it's moments like these(when I'm feeling no pain)....and posts like yours (for which I thank you)....that are moments which I truly cherish!....thank you again for your extremely kind words!....Doug....francisalbertsinatra###interaccess.com

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been there too, Mr. Sinatra (Doug). You are not alone. And I've got a promise for you: It will get better! It wasn't so many years ago for me when life seemed to be nothing but pain, panic attacks, and betrayals by those I had trusted the most. Believe me, I used to cherish the thought of suicide as the only way out!Thanks to a true friend, I'm here today. Still sick some of the time and sometimes in pain, but a very happy person. What my friend gave me was a recipe for staying alive during the worst times. It's simple really:1. DO NOT settle your affairs. Don't finalize your will, don't organize your finances, don't say goodbye to or get closure with anyone. 2. DO give yourself a deadline and make a plan. That is, pick a date in the future -- six months away? a year? -- before which you will not give up. Then, consider what in your life you CAN change to make it tolerable, then make plans to DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN. Work hard at it. Work harder than you've ever worked at anything. It's a matter of life and death. Be focused. Be selfish!What also helped me was to be my stubborn, contrary self. Even when I was the most depressed and hopeless, I could see that if I ended my life during a bad period, then the bad times "won." That is, if I survived somehow, I KNEW there would be better times. If I did not stick it out, then I would deny myself the opportunity to experience the good times. I was right. I am always right about that one! That's why I know I can promise you that it will get better.{{{{HUGS!!!}}}}

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been there too, Mr. Sinatra (Doug). You are not alone. And I've got a promise for you: It will get better! It wasn't so many years ago for me when life seemed to be nothing but pain, panic attacks, and betrayals by those I had trusted the most. Believe me, I used to cherish the thought of suicide as the only way out!Thanks to a true friend, I'm here today. Still sick some of the time and sometimes in pain, but a very happy person. What my friend gave me was a recipe for staying alive during the worst times. It's simple really:1. DO NOT settle your affairs. Don't finalize your will, don't organize your finances, don't say goodbye to or get closure with anyone. 2. DO give yourself a deadline and make a plan. That is, pick a date in the future -- six months away? a year? -- before which you will not give up. Then, consider what in your life you CAN change to make it tolerable, then make plans to DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN. Work hard at it. Work harder than you've ever worked at anything. It's a matter of life and death. Be focused. Be selfish!What also helped me was to be my stubborn, contrary self. Even when I was the most depressed and hopeless, I could see that if I ended my life during a bad period, then the bad times "won." That is, if I survived somehow, I KNEW there would be better times. If I did not stick it out, then I would deny myself the opportunity to experience the good times. I was right. I am always right about that one! That's why I know I can promise you that it will get better.{{{{HUGS!!!}}}}

·
Registered
423 Posts
I live near Chicago and work in the Loop. I understand how the demands of a high pressure career can make your health problems so much worse. First you really need to get the bladder situation dealt with. If you aren't happy with your doc, there are tons of great ones here. I love Northwestern and highly recommend them. You have options if your doc isn't providing you with the help you need. You may want to see a psychiatrist as well both for the counceling and the anti-depressents/anti-anxiety meds if necessary. Do whatever it takes to get to the point you feel better.Peppermint is easy if you are willing to shop on the net. http://www.herbalremedies.com/ http://www.vitacost.com/index.html Search under herbs for peppermint.I am C/D and I use peppermint, slippery elm bark (inner leaf), acidophilus (I swear by this one).I have ordered from both these sites.Also...stay away from the insensitive friends. You don't deserve or need that type of treatment. There are many people that understand. Give them one shot and let them know it isn't funny and you won't tolerate any more jokes. If they persist, get up and walk away. If they don't get the message, they aren't very good friends. You aren't alone in this world. I'm glad you found this board and there are so many wonderful people here that understand. Just don't be too hard on yourself. P.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I live near Chicago and work in the Loop. I understand how the demands of a high pressure career can make your health problems so much worse. First you really need to get the bladder situation dealt with. If you aren't happy with your doc, there are tons of great ones here. I love Northwestern and highly recommend them. You have options if your doc isn't providing you with the help you need. You may want to see a psychiatrist as well both for the counceling and the anti-depressents/anti-anxiety meds if necessary. Do whatever it takes to get to the point you feel better.Peppermint is easy if you are willing to shop on the net. http://www.herbalremedies.com/ http://www.vitacost.com/index.html Search under herbs for peppermint.I am C/D and I use peppermint, slippery elm bark (inner leaf), acidophilus (I swear by this one).I have ordered from both these sites.Also...stay away from the insensitive friends. You don't deserve or need that type of treatment. There are many people that understand. Give them one shot and let them know it isn't funny and you won't tolerate any more jokes. If they persist, get up and walk away. If they don't get the message, they aren't very good friends. You aren't alone in this world. I'm glad you found this board and there are so many wonderful people here that understand. Just don't be too hard on yourself. P.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mr. Sinatra: I am so sorry you are hurting. Why don't you try a new doc? You've gotten some really good advice here. I used to be so depressed that I used to love to go through the cafeteria line at work because the check out ladywould also call me "baby" and say something sweet.That woman had no idea how horribly I needed to here that. That's how pathetic I was. I also started going back to church and that helped sooomuch. Good luck. If you need to talk you can email me anytime.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mr. Sinatra: I am so sorry you are hurting. Why don't you try a new doc? You've gotten some really good advice here. I used to be so depressed that I used to love to go through the cafeteria line at work because the check out ladywould also call me "baby" and say something sweet.That woman had no idea how horribly I needed to here that. That's how pathetic I was. I also started going back to church and that helped sooomuch. Good luck. If you need to talk you can email me anytime.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dear DougI know what you are feeling. The nights are endless and when the pain won't stop its hard to know what to do next. I was diagnosed at the beginning of Dec 01 with IBS-D and GERD and still tying to control and sort myself out. I have a great husband and a gorgeous daughter who keep me going. Is there anyone close that you can talk to that will support you? . I have found that the people on the board are very supportive and understanding so feel free to post. Try and keep strong. You can E-mail me if you need a good moan. Take Care. Lots of Hugs. :love:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dear DougI know what you are feeling. The nights are endless and when the pain won't stop its hard to know what to do next. I was diagnosed at the beginning of Dec 01 with IBS-D and GERD and still tying to control and sort myself out. I have a great husband and a gorgeous daughter who keep me going. Is there anyone close that you can talk to that will support you? . I have found that the people on the board are very supportive and understanding so feel free to post. Try and keep strong. You can E-mail me if you need a good moan. Take Care. Lots of Hugs. :love:

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the 80's I had the same situation. I was in a metal band and hurt so bad the roadies had to help me on and off the stage. My doctor suggested it was job stress. It was the hardest decision of my life but I resigned just as they went on to some pretty serious success. But it was also the best decision for me. It took a year but I slowly got well. Weather out this storm. It will make the sunrise that much better for you WHEN it comes!

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the 80's I had the same situation. I was in a metal band and hurt so bad the roadies had to help me on and off the stage. My doctor suggested it was job stress. It was the hardest decision of my life but I resigned just as they went on to some pretty serious success. But it was also the best decision for me. It took a year but I slowly got well. Weather out this storm. It will make the sunrise that much better for you WHEN it comes!

·
Registered
28 Posts
hang in there mate, I am new to IBS only been told I have it, could of had it for a long time but docs ignored me.The internet is my best advice to you, so far I know nothing else of IBS, I don't even know what drugs to take!on the internet you can talk to people with the same problems as you, and maybe get more information on the problems you are having.sorry I wasn't that useful but I wanted to reply to let you know you can talk anytime, I'm regularly hereclaire

·
Registered
28 Posts
hang in there mate, I am new to IBS only been told I have it, could of had it for a long time but docs ignored me.The internet is my best advice to you, so far I know nothing else of IBS, I don't even know what drugs to take!on the internet you can talk to people with the same problems as you, and maybe get more information on the problems you are having.sorry I wasn't that useful but I wanted to reply to let you know you can talk anytime, I'm regularly hereclaire

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had a friend with many of these same pain symptoms and finally insisted on having exploratory surgery. They found adhesions or scar tissue wrapping around gut and other parts causing the pain. He had an appendectomy at a young age and a 55yrs old this showed up, if you've had previous surgery this may be a possible reason? Good luck, Norb

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.