Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today is my 23rd birthday and i am sitting at home because i am so sick today. i have not been diagnosed with ibs yet, but i'm in the testing process and after reading about all the signs i'm pretty sure it's what i have. so there will be no going out to diner for me tonight. i don't even want my boyfriend to come over. and he just doesn't understand. i first started noticing i was different my first year at college. i would have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a class. i would feel like i ouldn't hold it. i got all sweaty and had palpitations. then it started happening more frequently. almost constantly. i would be very careful with what i ate. i was always underweight, so my parents blamed it on that, but the more heavy the food was, the worse my stomch felt.then i turned 21 and found out i couldn't handle alcohol. i would be running for the bathroom after one or two drinks. so i stopped drinking. if i do have ibs it comes and goes. i can remember back to a few times when i would be regular for a week or two. if felt great. but it's been getting worse, so i finally got help.i am so sick of not being able to eat and do things like normal people. i feel like this has taking over my whole life. sometimes people call me a hypochondriac and that this is all in my head. sometimes i wish i could believe them. i just wanted one normal day. some birthday.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think we all go through good days and bad days. I hope you can enjoy today.Just remember that you are not alone in this. We are all over the place. And just ignore those idiots that think its all in your head. It is definitely not, it is a real and frustrating disease. Its just that so many people are weird about talking about bowel movements and stuff.Feel free here, I think we can all relate and sometimes it can even be pretty funny.Happy Birthday,siennamover57

·
Registered
487 Posts
and welcome to the board , glad you found us
Im sorry you are not feeling very well today ..Even thou your partner dont understand what you are going thru , try not to shut him out ...I hope you are feeling better
and once again

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
Glad you found us.Sigh... Neverending. Well, it's just a birthday. There will be more. Many of us have been in a similiar boat.JeffP.S. Best for a doctor to make the diagnosis as the symptoms of IBS are common to many other ailments.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
It sounds like IBS but you better go see a doctor to get the correct tests done. Make sure you tell them to take a blood test for malabsorption and celiac disease too. Best to get that out of the way.You will probably soon learn that Immodium will be your next best friend. Until you see a doctor. I would put them in your purse or take them as needed to go out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Neverending...a tad late, but
to you!So sorry you had to deal with this on your birthday, but as Jeffrey said...there will be many more, plus so many other wonderful days to come.Good thing you are being tested for IBS, only the doctor can diagnose for certain.All of us here totally understand & as other members have already said...it's not in your head, so come in anytime & ask as many questions as you want. Also read as many posts as you can, you'll quickly not feel so alone in this & there is such good advice.People here are wonderful...I've had more help here in controlling my IBS than any number of doctors could have provided.If you're interested, there's an excellent site for food advice...just reading the info there has helped me a lot. http://www.eatingforibs.com Take care,Lynda

·
Registered
368 Posts
Neverending, I just want to say your story sounds alot like mine! I'm going to be 23 on the 18th and I also live on Long Island! I've always had a sensitive stomach but things got worse Senior year in High School and from there college was a joke. I also can't drink alcohol too much b/c it runs me straight to the bathroom!!!! I know that its really hard to have this when your our age. I sometimes feel like is the rest of my life going to be like this?? Constantly revolving itself around the bathroom! Don't let people tell you its all in your head. IBS is real and it definetly sucks!! If you ever want to chat here is my email address, Preludechick00###hotmail.com and Happy Belated Birthday!!
~*Tammy*~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.