Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
I must be very unlucky, every thing I have taken to help with the ibs-d that most people have found something to work for them, but I cant get anything to work properley.I have tried, Calcium. No goodCodeine phosphate tablets 30mg x 6 daily. No goodExtra fibre. No goodQuestran. No goodDifferent types of probiotics. No goodImodium Plus Caplets, well they are hit and miss, If i take one in the morning its sometimes not enough, if I take one in the morning and half at night it doesnt always work. If i take two daily its too much and I am bunged for the next day.I have loose urgent stools every day, 2-3 times a day, not straight D though(for which I am gratefull) but even though they are loose I still have to sometimes strain to completey go properly. I have had biofeedback and do pelvic floor exercises, I also have a rectal mucosal lining where it is telescoping upon itself,it can give me the sensation of needing a poo when i dont always, but I am told it will not get worse unless i get constipated. I just dont know what to do for the best. I am frightend when I go out incase I cant make it to the toilet in time.I wish I could find something that would firm my stools without making me constipated. I have been unable to work for a year now due to the ibs-d and also suffering with anxiety and depression( Iam having CBT for this and on anxiety meds) Any help and advice appreciated.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well CherryPie how about trying the pill form of Questran called Colestid as sometimes one form of a med may make more of a difference than another. Or..How about switching around the imodium.... take a whole one at night and a half of one in the morning.Also CBT isn't an overnight fix.. it can take awhile to notice improvements with that. The pelvic floor exercises will also take some time to have an impact.So try not to rush yourself ok?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have never been offered the pill form of questran, I did not know there was such a thing, I have only ever had the powders, I took one whole sachet before meals .The imodium. I have tried it all ways. I have had ibs-d for 11 years, but have really suffered for the last 3, last year and so far this year really bad. I also get wind, bloating & pain, have tried amitriptyline and nortriptyline, they also did not help. I have been having cbt since the begining of November. I have also tried mikes hypnotherapy cds , listend to them twice. My stomach is always making gushing noises and movements like there is always water sloshing around in there. Just so fed up with it all and nothing helping.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Perhaps using some things together that you haven't before?? Like did you try the Calcium while also using imodium? Have you tried taking 2 imodium every other day?? And then just one or one and half the day in between??Ya know things that may work for you if they are done just a bit differently than you have been doing them. Just a thought..The wind & bloating can be from the imodium so you may need more simethicone than what you are taking in the Imodium plus caplets. Get separate simethicone (Like Gas X here... maybe it's called Windeze there??) so you can take it with ALL of your meals. (Works best when it is co-located with the food maybe for you?)Sometimes meds are not the only answer. I know you are doing CBT too... but maybe try seriously using relaxation techniques on a daily basis or meditation... etc..Most folks find a combination of various treatment options working in concert is what works best at managing symptoms.Don't give up!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you BQ. I have tried taking imodium with calcium, with codeine, alternating the amounts, one day one method works another day it wont, I just cant find something that will help work every day the same, as I have to take something every day as a preventative. I just cant wait and see what happens then take something as its too late then.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I just cant find something that will help work every day the same, as I have to take something every day as a preventative. I just cant wait and see what happens then take something as its too late then.
Now Cherry don't get upset but.....what I quoted you above here... is what I do everyday. I have to tweek things too. No two days are the same for anyone let alone anyone with IBS. So I call what I do "symptom management" not symptom eradication. :(Keep your chin up. All you can do is continue to finely tune what you do to manage things better and better. Soemdays I do really well and other days I don't. SOmedays I feel better than others. But that is true of every human on the planet. So just keep tryingto tweak things yourself and hopefully you end up with more better days.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
CherryPie I really sympathise as these have been my exact problems over the years.I was only diagnosed with inflammation years ago because I was popping codeine phosphate like smarties,20+ per day as nothing else worked.I wasn't addicted it was just that I needed to go to work and stop the D.I currently take 2x4 imodium per day and I don't get D but still go 2-3 times in morning.I've recently spoken to my doctor and I haven't tried Bentyl,Donnapine or Librax or there UK equivalent so have you ever tried any of those?I will insist on trying these myself shortly once I've sorted out a possible prostate problem,which doesn't mix with these medications according to the Internet.Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cherry Pie,I know all to well what you are going through right now. My flare is month 10 and counting. I have had every test, taken every med including Lotronex, had my appendix out Dec 4 and still landed in the ER three times in the last week. I take 2 mg of lotronex a day along with a lomotil most days and codiene at night....still diarrhea cramping and nausea. I also take up to (2) mg of ativan a day and Creon after my so called meals. The problem for me is that I am sensitive to meds so me trying the 10 mg of amitriptilyne again ended up with severe headache and chest pain that kept me in ER 7 hours yesterday. Some days the depression and despair are bigger than the IBS and what you can't seem to get the doctors to realize is if you could make my IBS tolerable I would not be depressed. I have had IBS for 26 years but nothing like I have experienced the last 10 months....lost 56 pounds and look and feel like death warmed over most days.As for Colestid....the pills are huge which isn't a problem but they did help firm up the diarrhea but gave me a terrible stomach ache and bloody stools so I had to stop those as well.My plan now is to wait for the Digestive Disease Institute in Pittsburgh to call me with an appt because my GI dr doesn't feel comfortable treating me for IBS unless I go there and get other things ruled out which is what I thought the last 10 months I had been doing....you name the test and I have had it atleast once. So I started taking private yoga lessons and have found that they are helping. There is a published study at Mayo Clinic that states IBS-D patients did better with yoga (specific poses and breathing which my instructor is trying to get which ones they used) than the group taking lomeperide (Lomtil/Immodium) I go to a chiropractor 4 times a week also.I also see a phyciartist for CBT and will see her on Thursday and actually am going to talk to her about discontinuing all meds until I am evaluated at DDI because if it is IBS it is not terminal and I think that the side effects of the meds outweigh any good as I still have D and cramping gas and bloating daily with now thank God occasional nausea. So the worst that will happen is that I will have IBS D and....well ok.I do not know what your religious beliefs are but if you would like I could email you a prayer for healing that I say many times a day. In the end I do believe that it is in God's hands and it is not his will that we be sick and that he will heal me. There is also a prayer for healing that you insert a persons name and I pray it nightly and insert all those who suffer from IBS ...so you are in my prayers each day !I get so tired of hearing it myself but stay strong, NEVER give up and this will pass......medically speaking it must....according to all the doctors I have seen....it waxes and wanes and goes in remission.......HANG IN THERE !!!!!!!! That is all we can do.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VickieibsdThank you for being understanding, its so horrible the things that occur from ibs-d. Do you ever get lots of really loud noises in your tummy and what sounds like alot of water sloshing around and gurgling. I do nearly every day, I dont know why, what can cause it and what can you do about it. ????Are Colestid prescription only. ? if they are really big I might have a problem, I cant swollow big tablets.I know what you mean about controlling the ibs-d then you would not feel so depressed and anxious. I never suffered with anxiety and depression so badly before the begining of last year when my current bout of the ibs-d started. I went 9 years without too many problems , only occasional flare ups, but since january of last year it has played me up every day 24/7 and the anxiety is bad, I am on medication for that and have cbt. I just get so uptight about going out when its bad, which I know makes it worse. Yes I have heard it can go into remission, that the bad bouts come and go. Just wish mine would hurry up and go.Take care

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Colestid is by prescription only. And perhaps you can break them if they are too large for you. Ask your Dr or the pharmacist if you can break them.And you are right... the more anxious one gets.. the worse symptoms can become. So if you can get a grip on that anxiety you might be feeling much better. In the meantime.. your depression is a bit concerning and I would hope you are talking about how low you feel with your therapist.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes Cherrie Pie I get the rumbling grumbling to the point of embarrassment. There is not really anything that I am aware of that will help that. Some people say gas x and such but never helped me. Just do your best to hang in there and not give up until you find something that works for you. That is what I am trying to do and like I said just pray....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts