Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past 4 weeks have been frustrating- daughter has had abdominal pain on and off, at times severe, and other times dull. Always nauseated, not eating like her normal self (before was the garbage can). Bowel movements are normal to soft. Keeping a food diary- can't pin point a known irratant. Our diet had not changed over the years. We eat well balanced- don't eat out (birthday celebrations sometimes, or a treat for kids), don't deep fry, a good variety of meat, vegies, fruits, and grains. 2 years ago she was in hosp. for 5 days- screaming in pain- non stop. She was backed up they said, and did all they could to clean her out. Her electrolytes were low, but all other blood work was normal. Did a colonoscopy and endoscopy 2 months later (she was totally fine then). All looked good. Nothing was done- then 3-4 months later would have a day here or there with extreme pain. Give her Bentyl when that happens. It helps alot. Now she's been home from school for 4 weeks. Diet has not changed, stress and anxiety are not the problem. Does this sound like IBS? Why can't I find an irratant, why does it last for 24, 48 hours sometimes and other times, 2 weeks or longer. But then be fine for 3-4 months? She's been on Zelnorm now for 1 week. But that frustrates me too, because she is not constipated. From all my reading most people know what triggers there IBS, and once they get rid of all their stool they are fine. They know what causes their pain and can see the end in sight- I can't say that with my daughter. I could really use some advice ASAP- my next step is to go to Mayo clinic or the U of M for answers. Thanks for any help anyone could give- especially if they have a child with the same problems or symptoms.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Nicole's mum - welcome to the boards! I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter, it must be very difficult as a mum to watch you child suffer, I know my own Mum hates it when I get an attack.It's difficult to say whether IBS is what your daughter has or not, but what I would say is it's always worth getting a second opinion from a gastroenterologist if you're not convinced of the diagnosis.If her bowel movements seem fairly normal then that might suggest something other than IBS, but I would ask a professional about this. The Zelnorm is a bit odd as that's a medicine for IBS with constipation, which she doesn't seem to have.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Last summer I had to take my daughter, who's 11 years old, to her doctor several times in just a few months due to vomiting and diarhhea, even though no one else in the house was sick. I asked if she could have IBS since it ran in my family and he siad that when children react to stress it will not give them diarrhea. I looked at him like he was from mars and he must have read my mind because he went on to say that childrens digestive systems work differently than adults. He really believed she was getting the stomach bug. I found that odd since her bouts were more than once a month. But he insisted it was just a recurring bug. Sometimes it's really hard to believe doctors. I'm still not sure I buy the whole "it's just a bug" thing. Sometimes second opinions are warranted. I hope things will be okay with your daughter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.