Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was diagnosed with IBS 5 months ago, a month after all the symptoms started. I have all the classic symptoms, trapped wind(Bloated feeling) increased flatulance, loose stools, general upset gut! However i can handle all that, but 1 thing i dont understand is the pain i get just under my ribcage(usually left side, but have felt it on right and middle). This pain ONLY comes when im running, it basically feels like a stich, but i cant run it off & it is constant excruciting pain & gets worse the more i try & battle through it infact it works up to my chest!) This happens everytime i run! It was worse when this all started 5 months ago but has calmed down a bit. I was prescribed spasmanol & tried probiotics from my own research which seems to have helped more than the spasmonal. BUT the pain still comes when i run! Anyone heard of or had anything similar??? Any thoughts?? Any other drugs worth trying, just seen another doc today who has prescribed Colfac. I ve also tried pepermint oils aswell without much luck.cheers,Ka

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
There is a place where the large intestine bends about that spot. It seems to be sensitive for many of us. It doesn't particularly bother me when exercising--elliptical trainer and distance biking--but I get it when driving distances. Something about the angle of my lower body in the bucket seat, I think.I have treated most of my symptoms for many years with a flavonoid supplement developed for cardiovascular health. The last real problem seems to be flatulence. Probiotics seem to have helped, some; but certainly haven't eliminated it. Recently, my wife and I have been experimenting with the Eating 4 Your Blood Type diet and the frequency and pungency of the gas has decreased markedly. It certainly makes for a much pleasanter sleeping experience.Mark

·
Registered
34,954 Posts
Yep that is where a bend in the colon is, it tends to be a hotspot for pain issues.I found when my colon was really really tender that anything that bounced the abdomen up and down would set off the pain (I couldn't walk very far much less run without setting off the pain).Antispasmodics taken 20-30 minutes before a run may help. Switching to an aerobic activity with less bouncing up and down may help as well. For some people you need to work on the nerves, not the smooth muscles and low dose antidepressants can block the pain.I found Cog. Behav. Therapy to be the most effective treatment for my pain. K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.