Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. i need some help & input please. i am 55 & i have been dealing with ibs/constipation & diverticulitis for years on & off. but it has never been this bad or constant. i have had right pelvic pain since sept 2009. it never goes away now. my intestines feel like pork sausage in the skins that have been left outside to festure & swell in the heat. i am so distended & keep packing on unwanted weight. in march i weighed 140lb & now in june i weigh 195lbs. i am eating the same & have never been overweight in my life. i am miserable & depressed because of it. also my hands & feet keep swelling up. i have so many symptoms & it is only getting worse & it is worse than a nightmare. has anyone else experience this type of miserey? what is your take on it & any advice would be appreciated. thanks. chyanne

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If your activity level is down (as it often is with IBS) you may have to eat less to maintain weight.If you have been dropping your portions to match lowered activity levels (and even sitting on the couch more and cleaning the house less counts as lowered activity levels) you may want to get your thyroid checked out.You may also need a check up with the gynecologist to make sure everything on the female end is OK as that can also cause distension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you kathy. i have been to the gyn dr & they found nothing. no tumors etc because i have had a total hysterctomy yrs ago. mu activity level i for sure down because of ill health & pain. but i still have the same problem with bloating, tremendous weigh gain, & pain. i feel my sm & lg intestines are inflammed but all my test come back normal?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain from inflammation doesn't feel different from nerves just acting up.Pain is pain, doesn't matter the cause. If the tests do not see inflammation you do not have it.Unfortunately as we get older that small difference in activity level can make a bigger and bigger difference in how many calories you need. That is why most people who eat the same way all their life will eventually pack on a few pounds at some point. Menopause doesn't help as that also tends to slow the metabolism. You may need to alter your eating to maintain a lower weight.I did some calculations with an online calorie calculator, this is how many calories to maintain your weight. You eat more and don't burn it off you will gain weight.5'6" 140lbs 50 years old Moderately active1974 calories5'6" 140lbs 50 years old Normal everyday activities 1711 calories5'6" 140lbs 55 years old Moderately active1938 calories5'6" 140lbs 55 years old Normal everyday activities 1680 calories

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.