Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: i've been lurking for a couple months. someone on this list ( Linda, I think) got me started with caltrate. Thank you!!! That plus taking metamucill wafers once a day has my IBS semi manageable. Still frequent bathroom trips but not as much of the "D" A week from Monday I go for my first colonoscopy. I'm having one cause I'm 54 and they want to get a baseline. I am SO scared!!!! afraid that there is a problem so the procedure will hurt like H.... L I don't know idfI do or don't want to hear horror stories. I think I'd like to hear from people whose experience has been positive! Thanks a lot! Faye from Cambridge, MA

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Faye,I've had 3 colonoscopies. It really isn't bad at all. For me, I was completely unconsious through the whole thing. I had no idea what was going on. I woke up in recovery. And I didn't feel bad afterwards either- just a little tired. The hardest part is the prep.If you are that nervous about it, make sure you tell your dr. about your fears and concerns. That's what I did, and he made sure I was out cold!!!! (which is what I wanted). I think I had a combination of valium and demerol.So really, it's not bad- try not to worry.....Good Luck to you.....pac

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Faye,I've had 3 colonoscopies. It really isn't bad at all. For me, I was completely unconsious through the whole thing. I had no idea what was going on. I woke up in recovery. And I didn't feel bad afterwards either- just a little tired. The hardest part is the prep.If you are that nervous about it, make sure you tell your dr. about your fears and concerns. That's what I did, and he made sure I was out cold!!!! (which is what I wanted). I think I had a combination of valium and demerol.So really, it's not bad- try not to worry.....Good Luck to you.....pac

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Faye! =)well from what I can tell ya of my experience with the colonoscopy proceedure, there was absolutely nothing to worry about... I don't know what they gave me to sedate me and put me under, but throughout the proceedure I was out cold... and when I came to... it was just like I woke up from a nap.... I couldn't tell that anything had happened at all, and didn't have any aftereffects in the days after the proceedure... they did tell me that they took some biopsies, and that i might have a little pain or some bleeding as a result of that, but i had neither... if my doctor told me i needed to have another one, I wouldn't have any problem with going back... which is more than i can say about the endoscopy, but that's another story
Good luck! just know that it's an important proceedure to have done so that your doctor can rule out other possibilities that could be more serious... and don't stress out about it... you should be fine =)as for the question about drinking regular coke... I can't remember what they told me... but I think it was something about not having any liquids with specific colors in them... or am I thinking about another proceedure?... best bet for that is to ask your doctor... or you could even call the information line for the hospital where you're getting it done if they gave you one... (they gave me a number to call if i had any questions about anything involving the proceedure)
(smilies for you!) ... don't mind me... i'm overly happy lately... and all about cheering people up too! *hugs for ya too* =)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Faye! =)well from what I can tell ya of my experience with the colonoscopy proceedure, there was absolutely nothing to worry about... I don't know what they gave me to sedate me and put me under, but throughout the proceedure I was out cold... and when I came to... it was just like I woke up from a nap.... I couldn't tell that anything had happened at all, and didn't have any aftereffects in the days after the proceedure... they did tell me that they took some biopsies, and that i might have a little pain or some bleeding as a result of that, but i had neither... if my doctor told me i needed to have another one, I wouldn't have any problem with going back... which is more than i can say about the endoscopy, but that's another story
Good luck! just know that it's an important proceedure to have done so that your doctor can rule out other possibilities that could be more serious... and don't stress out about it... you should be fine =)as for the question about drinking regular coke... I can't remember what they told me... but I think it was something about not having any liquids with specific colors in them... or am I thinking about another proceedure?... best bet for that is to ask your doctor... or you could even call the information line for the hospital where you're getting it done if they gave you one... (they gave me a number to call if i had any questions about anything involving the proceedure)
(smilies for you!) ... don't mind me... i'm overly happy lately... and all about cheering people up too! *hugs for ya too* =)

·
Registered
97 Posts
HiI had my first in this past July. the whole thing was a breeze.As far as the prep, I strongly reccommend taking the pills rather than the liquid. Wverything else was a breeze. No pain during or after, never even could tell that the procedure took place!If you take the pills, ask your doctor if you can take an Immodium after you have been passing nothing but water for a while to stop the action (I had too trabel 1.5 hours into the city for my procedure)Good luck, it's cake!

·
Registered
97 Posts
HiI had my first in this past July. the whole thing was a breeze.As far as the prep, I strongly reccommend taking the pills rather than the liquid. Wverything else was a breeze. No pain during or after, never even could tell that the procedure took place!If you take the pills, ask your doctor if you can take an Immodium after you have been passing nothing but water for a while to stop the action (I had too trabel 1.5 hours into the city for my procedure)Good luck, it's cake!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I've had two, plus a sigmoidoscopy as well. Nope, the prep isn't fun, but you can endure it. They knock you out pretty well for the procedure, and you'll likely not feel or remember a thing - just have a nice little light nap! (However, mine does hurt a bit, because I have more twists and turns in my colon than the normal person does. That's not the typical case, though, so don't worry.) Be prepared to have someone take you home, and then rest for the rest of the day. I use it as an excuse to be pampered!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I've had two, plus a sigmoidoscopy as well. Nope, the prep isn't fun, but you can endure it. They knock you out pretty well for the procedure, and you'll likely not feel or remember a thing - just have a nice little light nap! (However, mine does hurt a bit, because I have more twists and turns in my colon than the normal person does. That's not the typical case, though, so don't worry.) Be prepared to have someone take you home, and then rest for the rest of the day. I use it as an excuse to be pampered!

G

·
Hi, I just had a lower and upper colonoscopy last week. The actual test in both cases was entirely painless, they usually give you "Twilite"(conscious sedation). This feels like you are out completely, but able to follow the doctor's commands. Upon awakening, there is no pain and in my case, I felt really rested with no anesthesia hangover. The worst part about the colonoscopy was the prep. I was not allowed to take the pills. My pharmacist told me the cherry flavor in nulitely or golitley was the most easily tolerated. I have had to do the prep twice - trust me stay clear of the pineapple! Cherry was better, so if the liquid is your only choice this should be your option. I was told only clear liquids for the day prior and nothing after midnight on the day of the procedure. My GI doc was sensitive in regard to D sufferers and having to take the prep, since it usually amplifies the situation. I wish I had known about Immodium for after the prep, this was great advice.

G

·
Hi, I just had a lower and upper colonoscopy last week. The actual test in both cases was entirely painless, they usually give you "Twilite"(conscious sedation). This feels like you are out completely, but able to follow the doctor's commands. Upon awakening, there is no pain and in my case, I felt really rested with no anesthesia hangover. The worst part about the colonoscopy was the prep. I was not allowed to take the pills. My pharmacist told me the cherry flavor in nulitely or golitley was the most easily tolerated. I have had to do the prep twice - trust me stay clear of the pineapple! Cherry was better, so if the liquid is your only choice this should be your option. I was told only clear liquids for the day prior and nothing after midnight on the day of the procedure. My GI doc was sensitive in regard to D sufferers and having to take the prep, since it usually amplifies the situation. I wish I had known about Immodium for after the prep, this was great advice.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Like others have said the test is a breeze and you dont feel a think..I didnt even remember one thing they did..The prep isnt very pleasent but just hold your nose and drink it...But dont worry about the test being painful because it wont beGood LuckDonna

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Like others have said the test is a breeze and you dont feel a think..I didnt even remember one thing they did..The prep isnt very pleasent but just hold your nose and drink it...But dont worry about the test being painful because it wont beGood LuckDonna

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The colonoscopy itself is painless because you are sedated and often are asleep. Ask you Doctor�s office for the name of the sedation and which preparations you can use. there is more than one!There are many kinds of sedation. Once I was given some injected tranquilizer and was awake and felt no pain. Recently I was given a Diprovin drip, which put me out quickly and woke me up quickly. I had no problems with either method.The preparation for this is the hard part. There are two general ways to usually prepare by drinking bad tasting liquid and sometimes a laxative too. Be sure to ask for the different ways you can prepare. Each Doctor has their own preference.There is Fleet Phospho-Soda which has less to drink. If you use this be sure to drink lots of liquids and ask the Doctor about taking Ducolax too. Most people are cleaned out without the Ducolax. I was not cleaned out. Then next time I will need Ducolax and perhaps having clear liquids for more than one day.Most people use GoLytely which comes in flavors. I hear Cherry is the best. You mix it with a gallon of water and drink the water every 20 to 30 minutes till you run clear or drink it all. Both taste salty and awful. Some people eat very lightly for two days before the preparation or use liquids for one or two days before the preparation. That way they get cleaned out faster and need to drink less GoLytely. There is some similar to GoLytely but less salty...it is something spelled like NuLytely. I�m sure others will know the name. I don�t know if it is as effective.There is a special Forum on Colonoscopy and other procedures. Go to the very very bottom of this page and see, �Hop To: Select a Forum�. Scroll down till you see it.Or click here and it will take you there: http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...&f=28&SUBMIT=Go Hope things work out well for you. Feel free to ask more questions

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The colonoscopy itself is painless because you are sedated and often are asleep. Ask you Doctor�s office for the name of the sedation and which preparations you can use. there is more than one!There are many kinds of sedation. Once I was given some injected tranquilizer and was awake and felt no pain. Recently I was given a Diprovin drip, which put me out quickly and woke me up quickly. I had no problems with either method.The preparation for this is the hard part. There are two general ways to usually prepare by drinking bad tasting liquid and sometimes a laxative too. Be sure to ask for the different ways you can prepare. Each Doctor has their own preference.There is Fleet Phospho-Soda which has less to drink. If you use this be sure to drink lots of liquids and ask the Doctor about taking Ducolax too. Most people are cleaned out without the Ducolax. I was not cleaned out. Then next time I will need Ducolax and perhaps having clear liquids for more than one day.Most people use GoLytely which comes in flavors. I hear Cherry is the best. You mix it with a gallon of water and drink the water every 20 to 30 minutes till you run clear or drink it all. Both taste salty and awful. Some people eat very lightly for two days before the preparation or use liquids for one or two days before the preparation. That way they get cleaned out faster and need to drink less GoLytely. There is some similar to GoLytely but less salty...it is something spelled like NuLytely. I�m sure others will know the name. I don�t know if it is as effective.There is a special Forum on Colonoscopy and other procedures. Go to the very very bottom of this page and see, �Hop To: Select a Forum�. Scroll down till you see it.Or click here and it will take you there: http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...&f=28&SUBMIT=Go Hope things work out well for you. Feel free to ask more questions

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with the other posters. I was out cold, and woke up feeling that nothing had been done yet. If they hadn't shown me the pictures they took during the procedure, I never would have believed that they had done it. They sent those pictures home with me,and no, they did not go into the family photo album!! If I had to have one again, I would have absolutely no problem agreeing to it. Good luck with yours-don't worry.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with the other posters. I was out cold, and woke up feeling that nothing had been done yet. If they hadn't shown me the pictures they took during the procedure, I never would have believed that they had done it. They sent those pictures home with me,and no, they did not go into the family photo album!! If I had to have one again, I would have absolutely no problem agreeing to it. Good luck with yours-don't worry.

G

·
I had a colonoscopy earlier this year. I actually woke up during the proceedure and become fully aware of what was going on (the idea was that I was supposed to be out cold).The tube they send through your colon blows air, and that's a little painful, but I've had more pain from gas alone, so it wasn't that bad.They put me out pretty quickly again. I think that's about the worst that could happen during the procedure. They also had to take a tissue sample to do some testing, and that was painless too. No after effects.I saw someone below indicated that they got to keep pictures of the procedure. Bah. I haven't even seen my doctor since the procedure. He wasn't available to talk to me afterwards. The only reason I got the results of the test were because I was constantly calling his office.Doctors _suck_.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.