Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello again folks. I had a colonoscopy yesterday and wanted to ask your thoughts/experience if you don't mind, since this was my first time having one.First, the procedure was very long, about an hour and 15 minutes, apparently because my sigma colon was quite twisted and also because I am thin, which makes the procedure more difficult. I was sedated with Propofol, but woke up screaming twice during the procedure (is this normal????). They immediately increased my sedation and i went back under. They found two polyps in the ascending colon, one measuring about .5cm and the other 1.5cm, and both were removed. The histology won't be back for a few days, so I do not have further details about the types of polyps or whether they might be cancerous. BTW, I am F and 45 years old. Because removal of the larger polyp was complicated, the doctor was/is concerned about the possibility of bowel perforation. I am now on bed rest for the week. At the moment I have some discomfort but no pain per se.Questions for you:* My doc says that the polyps wouldn't be causing the type of D I have been having. Does this sound right to you? I'm confused.* Is it possible that my sigma colon being so twisted could impact my digestion -- either toward D or toward C -- and that that could have a relationship to the bigger picture problems I've been having?* What types of follow-up questions should I be asking my doc?Thanks very much for your thoughts. I really appreciate this forum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow-up: I've been online reading up on "sigmoid volvulus" (twisted/elongated sigmoid colon) and it seems this is more related to constipation, which is a problem i had for a long time, but my more recent problem has been sticky stool, diarrhea and apparent food intolerances (lactose, insoluble fiber, greasy foods, gluten). So that would be unrelated, right? Or...???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.