Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,Thought I would give an update as to what going on with my condition as well as some discoveries.History- Developed what docs think/thought was ibs 4 years ago - tried all sorts of meds- anti-deprss, Florastor, Nystatin, Xifaxan, Flagyl, more probiotics. - hypnosis etc. - 2 years ago developed prostatitis-given Levofloxacin which cleared up the prostate problems and also the bowel problems for a few monthsMy whole history can be found here in my original post : http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=121042So a few weeks ago got some stool and blood tests back and all was normal except found my 25 OH Vitamin D was very low and my doc thinks this is an indication of an underlying infection. In cases of infection, the 1,25 OH Vitamin D is usually high- mine came back on the high side of normal.While waiting for the test results, I happened to start taking the probiotic Align which, after a week or so, seemed to greatly improve my bowel function, but I noticedI was becoming very fatigued with dry eyes and flem in the throat, almost like allergies. I also noticed some pain in the perineum/prostate area.So I saw my doctor last week and he seems to feel I have some sort of low grade infection. He suggested that the allergy like symptoms could be from a herxheimer reaction (the good bacteria from the Align is fighting off the bad bacteria which are releasing toxins as they die). So he has put me back on the probiotic but every other day at first to ease my system into it. If the flu like symptoms aren't too bad, then I will ramp up to every day.Now if things don't get better after a few weeks, he has said the next step is to try the antibiotic Levofloxacin which he feels is a good bet since it cleared multiple things up originallyand it is a bit more of a broad spectrum and will therefore address a greater variety of possible bacterial infections.Anyway, now on day six of the Align, still feeling crummy but I will post updates if anything changes.Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Welcome to the forum Martin.I am currently on Levofloxacin for a UTI which has plagued me for about 9 months but it's making me feel like ####!I would love it to settle my bowels for a while if I can last the course of antibiotics!Have u tried probiotics with levofloxacin as I am looking to help my terrible gut pain while taking it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.