Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I haven't been able to visit the board in the last 2 weeks because my net access had been temporarily "suspended" until I got caught up on my phone bill. Such is life. Anyways, regarding my condition, there's good news, and bad news. The good news is that my symptoms have decreased dramatically since the last time I posted on this board, and the bad news is that I still have symptoms at all. Before I continue, for those of you that have no idea what my main post was like, which contained all the original symptoms I talked about having, click on the following link if you're interested in reading about them: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/023210.html Now, as far as how things are going as of NOW, they are much better. I do not suffer from the same level of stomach bloating that I used to. Also, as far as the nausea, I do not suffer from it as intensely anymore unless I stuff myself so full of food that my stmach is pushing out. For those of you that suffer from nausea as a symptom, DRINK GINGER TEA, AND TAKE GINGER CAPSULES. They both helped me out tremendously with getting through the nausea. I still suffer a slight bought of it from time to time, and when I do, I pop about 3 ginger capsules, or drink a mug of ginger tea. That makes you feel better. As far as eating meals, I can eat about 65% of what I used to be able to eat before feeling like I've eaten a full meal. Another thing that has amazed me is that someone told me that I should eat yogurt. For some odd reason, when I eat yogurt, my stomach feels MUCH better. I've been downing plain yogurt in HEAPS for the last 2 weeks, and that has helped tremendously. If anyone knows why yogurt helps in making one with these symptoms feel better, I'd sure love to know why. After reading this much, some of you might be asking why I'm even writing this message if feel so much better. Well, that goes back to the BAD news, which is the fact that I still DO have symptoms. As of now, it's been a total of 5 weeks since the onset of this condition. From time to time, I still suffer from mild bloating, and from time to time, I still suffer from mild nausea, but neither symptom is as bad as it was when this whole thing first started. Also, 2 nights ago, I had a relapse. I ate some cheese, which set set me off into a vomiting/diahrrea frenzy about 3 weeks ago. I figured that since more times has passed, I might be able to eat cheese again. So I had some spinach for dinner, and melted some cheddar cheese over it. Sure enough, about 4am the next morning, I woke feeling as if I were going to vomit. I took some compazine for the nausea, and still harbored a stomach cramp for the rest of that day. Does anyone know what cheese has in it that could have re-set the symptoms off again so violently? If I in fact DID/DO have some sort of bacterial intestinal infection should it not have been gone within this amount of time? Is there anyone else that has harbored these symptoms for 5 weeks? 6 weeks? Even more? Any replies would be appreciated.......

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
After a bout of gastroenteritis it is fairly typical for it to take several weeks (sometimes 6-8) for the GI tract to completely recover. And this is after the intitial illness cleared, not form onset (most GI infections make you sick from a day to a week type of thing)Sometimes foods can cause a reaction simply because for some reason the brain has associated that food with causing illness. Typically I can't eat whatever I threw up (even if it wasn't the food that got me sick) for 6-18 months without it making me queasy.Cheese is high in fat, and usually that is what bothers people with cheese. Do other high fat foods bother you? or is cheese about the only one you've tried? Some cheeses may have some componants of them that for some reason you are sensitive to right now.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
After a bout of gastroenteritis it is fairly typical for it to take several weeks (sometimes 6-8) for the GI tract to completely recover. And this is after the intitial illness cleared, not form onset (most GI infections make you sick from a day to a week type of thing)Sometimes foods can cause a reaction simply because for some reason the brain has associated that food with causing illness. Typically I can't eat whatever I threw up (even if it wasn't the food that got me sick) for 6-18 months without it making me queasy.Cheese is high in fat, and usually that is what bothers people with cheese. Do other high fat foods bother you? or is cheese about the only one you've tried? Some cheeses may have some componants of them that for some reason you are sensitive to right now.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-25-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.