Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, First post on here. I know everyone has their own story to tell but I am starting to really stress out about this problem now and I am looking for any ideas. OK, where to begin? I have had IBS-D for 5 years now. At first I had no idea what was going on, but in recent years I have totally changed my diet, read up about the illness tons, have tried various anti spasmodics yet I still feel as though I can't live a normal life. I was working full time in an office but always had to make my hours starting from 12.30pm untill 9pm because the mornings are particularly bad for me. I lost my job a number of months ago now and I am starting to panic about future jobs. Sometimes in the morning I can't go 5 minutes without urgently needing the toilet. I need to try and shake this to get myself a normal job but the illness makes me so nervous to even be in a room sat down with people i don't know, let alone go for another job interview. I find it particularly worse sitting down as I am always worried I might have an accident- which i never have but it always preys on my mind. I am defintely worse when I have an appointment anywhere or even when I am in a room with someone else. The only time I feel 100% sorted is when I am on my own. I eat well, excercise regularly, use anti spasmodics before meals and today I have just bought "SHEN LING BAI ZHU WAN"- A chinese remedy for IBS. I don't know which way to turn. I am a young guy- (24yr) and I just want to start afresh. Has anyone got any ideas for me? I would greatly appreciate any help.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
How about using Calcium Carbonate... many say it helps firm up their stools. (See Linda's Calcium Thread pg 1 thumbtacked to the top of this Forum for more info)Also have you used imodium???

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have managed a good career suffering the same problem of the 'morning rush'. Most days four of five times to the loo before I was confident to go out. Even when I left the house, there were occasions I needed to come back for the loo!I handled it with imodium and a amitryptiline, both prescribed by my doctor. I also got into the habit of getting up earlier. I took another step and moved closer to my place of work (which I know many of us probably can't do - I was able to). On days when I had to travel for work or had very early meetings I managed my diet the night before (maybe just a very simple meal of things that don't upset me). If I was needed at an early morning meeting I would 'up' the imodium the night before.At the moment, I'm trying a very low fat diet and small portion size plus no alcohol. This helps a lot.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi TimeToGo,Would you mind telling us how much imodium/amitryptaline you take daily to help control things? Did your doc put you on amitripyt. to help control the diarrhoea or for pain? Mine did for diarrhoea but I still have to take imodium or it doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi FridayI was on low dose amitryptiline 10mg and two imodium daily (2mg). The amitryptiline worked wonders for a while and then waned. I also wanted to get rid of trycyclics as they made me tired.Now I just take the imodium twice daily (morning and evening) but when I need more I take an extra tablet (at the most two), for example when I go out to dinner or lunch. My prescription from my doctor allows up to 6 tablets a day but I have never done that!I think you have also picked up that my experience on a low fat diet is working well - combined with the imodium this is a great help.Hope this helps

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's really helpful, thanks. I too have found that the tricyclic has lost its 'powers' over time! I think perhaps because the useful 'side effect' of constipation wears off as a side effect over time if you know what I mean.How long have you been doing the twice a day routine of imodium? I think I might try that as I take mine only once a day and since it only seems to last for 12 hours sometimes it might be better to split the dose into twice a day, so that's also a really useful hint, thanks for sharing!Vimtoman - I tried chinese medicines with acupuncture, didn't help me I'm afraid but everyone is different so it's worth a go.Getting up nice and early before going out of the door is a good tip too, I have tried that recently and things have been a lot better. Less rushing out of the door = a better experience in the mornings!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks very much for the info everyone. I think getting up a good couple of hours before I have to leave is definitely the way to go. I have used both Amitryptaline and immodium. Amitryptaline was actually prescribed by my doctor for sleeplessness funnily enough but I didn't really have any constipated effects from it. I use immodium from time to time if it gets bad but I have never really thought of using it every day. I may give it a whirl. After 5 years or so of having this its really starting to get me down. I just want to be a normal person at the end of it all. But somehow I don't think it is achievable unfortunately. Remembering back now the only drug that actually seemed to do the trick was codiene phosphate which the doctor gave me. However he said it was very addictive and put me off the idea of having more the next time i went to visit him. Has anyone else used this? Thanks for your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.