Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!I have only had IBS for about 1 year (possibly longer). I have always had diarrhea quite often though. My mom even told me once that it was a problem even when I was a little kid. For some reason though, I never remember having such a horrible feeling that I am going to lose control like I do now. I would go to the bathroom and that would be the end of it. Now I feel like if I do not find a bathroom right away, I am going to lose control of my bowels (and this has happened). This is what really causes me anxiety. I always feel like I have to be within 50 feet of a bathroom no matter where I am. And forget about car rides anymore. I was wondering if others feel this change in them too and if anyone knows if this is a particular symptom of IBS.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes. You are in the right place. We all (well at least most of us) feel this way with IBS. It causes great anxiety and we are all here trying to find out how we can live better lives. Its taken me about 2 years, but I've figured out what works for me. Exercise, not eating certain foods, relaxation exercises, etc. We each have different ways and are trying different methods to cope. Take a look around this website and really hear what people have to say. Its helped me soo much finding this place. You will get better. Be patient, you are not alone. It just takes time to figure out what works best for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the diarrhea form of IBS for 30 years and only in the last few has the fecal incontinence occurred. However, my mother also has it and it is ruining her life. It scares me to think I will still be suffering from this 25 years from now. My doctor tried me on Lexapro (an anti-depressant) and it does calm the colon some. However, brain is fuzzy, can't sleep and gained weight. I am thinking about trying hypnosis next as read an article that it has helped some. Anyone tried it you know? Also heard acupuncture is being tested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't personally know anyone who has tried it, but I have read about hypnosis on a lot on this site. I think that it is definitely worth trying. I was thinking about trying some behavioral therapy myself. My family has a history of anxiety problems and I have always had a fear of developing it myself some day. I know what you mean when you say you are afraid to be going through what your mother is when you are her age. I am trying to stay away from anti-depressants for as long as possible. I am only 22 and I really want to try other options first. I have heard people complain of the "fuzzy brain" and since I am a student I am really afraid of that happening. Plus, the anti-depressants would have to make my IBS symptoms go away because I really do not have anxiety over anything else. But as for the hypnosis, I have definitely heard of it working for some. As a psychology major I constantly hear people talk about behavioral therapy as a placebo, so it only works because you think it is going to. But hey, I see nothing wrong with that. If something helps you, it helps you, and at this point who really cares why it helped you??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let me first start off by saying I dont think I have IBS but I have the some of the symtoms. At first I had 4-8 BM's every AM and the occasional urgency/incontenence problem as well. After I started taking Lomotil on a daily basis my incontenence issue completly went away and the morning BM's went to 3-4. It is a narcotic and some Doc's dont like to write for it long term but it sure helped me. Good Luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am using the hypno program that is referred to as "Mike's Tapes" right now. I am on about day 35 out of the 100 days you use it. I am cutting back on my meds. I have definitely cut out the morning pills and can many times only take the meds at lunch. I still don't have enough confidence to not take the dinner meds if I am going somewhere, but if I am staying home, I don't take them. I feel definitely the tapes have helped me. They are extremely relaxing as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.