Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if anyone else is familiar with what I'm experiencing today (and have in the past).Basically it's a cyclic sense of urgency to defacate, combined with a crampy-discomfort in what feels to be the rectal area. You could visualize, as it's happening, the opening is just cramped tight or something. Obviously that may not be what's literally happening; I'm trying to describe how it feels.What may come out is small in quantity. Be it gas, or .. matter. Generally loose-ish for the latter, but not watery or anything. Just small, soft and generally absurd for the sensation.I've experienced this before, maybe once a month or so, and it usually doesn't last for more than maybe a day or less. But it's distressing just the same and I haven't been able to tie it to my diet the last few times. Stress, maybe.Anyhow... has anyone experienced anything like this? Or know what might be the cause of the sensations and phenomenon?Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Thinking, many IBSers have rectal sensivity. Just like the colon the nerves can be hypersensitve.What your describing can be IBS. Urgency is common in d and d/c IBS and the contractions in IBS can cause all kinds of different stool and stool patterns.Have you seen this?http://www.ja-online.com/dukeibs/#or thishttp://www.ja-online.com/dukeibs/#

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I have found myself in that exact situation more than once before. It's distressing and it's hard to explain to those who don't get it. And I find that the worst thing people can do is tell me to relax and that maybe I'm just not used to IBS yet and I will learn how to deal with it. I suppose it's true but when I'm anxious and depressed it's not helpful. I hope that this helps even a litte. Unfortunately I haven't found a sure-fire way to deal with it that I could pass along :-(I have been diagnosed with IBS by a gastroenterologist but my family doctor and I have doubts about whether that's accurate, or if so, if it's my only problem. I'm having a barium CT scan tomorrow. Has anyone had one? Can anyone tell me what it's like?Basically every time I eat, whether it's simple like water and bread or something slightly more tasty, I suffer through incredible upper abdominal bloating, belching, occasional burping, and mild nausea. Off and on constipation and diarrhea is a way of life for me but honestly those symptoms aren't bad enough to distress me or even want to see a doctor about. This has been going on since December. It happened to me in college once and lasted a few months before fading away. I'm frustrated and concerned because there are far too many days where I get by on the occasional saltine or pieces of banana because the indigestion is so bad I can't eat. Does anyone else experience this?? It would be so helpful and encouraging to hear any advice or experience related to this. I sometimes have to leave work early or come in late depending on how I'm feeling, and exercise is more often than not out of the question, other than yoga or walking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you.And to the new member who started this posting, I forgot to mention that I was given Bentyl by my family doctor, and I have found that it helped ease some of the cramping you mentioned, at least temporarily.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I get that most of the time! Just this morning, I was taking my son to out of school club, and the pain started, I knew I had like a couple of minutes to find a loo. SO there's me darting in and out of traffic. God knows what I would have done if a police car stopped me! Anyway, I made it home, just. But for me, the crampy feeling is usally the warning that Im about to have BAD BAD D.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
eric - thanks for the links, though they both appear to be the same.
Everyone else - thank you for the comments so far. I was beginning to wonder if I was a touch nuts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm C and my daily bowel experience is abdominal cramps, then urgency, then I go to the bathroom. It's usually soft, but not loose. Sometimes it's what I would consider a "normal" amount and sometimes I wonder why all the urgency? This all usually happens after 9:00 pm like clockwork. Unless I'm in a very bad C period. I hope you feel better soon.Liz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.